Template: Toxic Avenger

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
This is my first ever template from scratch! All comments appreciated. I got the idea from this from a wonderful scene in the original Robocop movie, and of course don't forget the Joker from Batman. I thought the whole idea of a template which actually decreased a creatures CR was interesting for a start - not something I think you see everyday.

BTW - If anyone can think of a better name for it then let me know.

Template: Toxic Avenger

There have been many accidents through the years involving the alchemic arts; explosions, fires and toxic gases escaping from jars to name but a few. With the number of amateur experimenters in this field the chances of some horrific accident are probably quite high.

Some poor souls involved in such accidents find themselves engulfed in strange compounds, drowning, or otherwise soaked in the substance. If they are strong enough, some may actually survive, although some would say that death would be a better end for them.

These creatures, their flesh becoming soft and dripping from their bodies, all hair scorched form their bodies by the corrosive liquids battle through and come out stronger inside, but weaker outside.

Creating a Toxic Avenger
"Toxic Avenger" is a template that can be applied to any creature with at least 4HD. Those with less than 4HD would never have survived the accident. The creature's type becomes "Aberration".

Hit Dice: Decrease by 2, changes to d8
Speed: Base creature - 20ft (never less than 10ft). Loss of any ability to fly or burrow.
AC: Loses any natural armour.
Attacks: Slam, loses any natural attacks.
Damage: Based on Size (See Zombie from Monster Manual) with Infection
Special Attacks: Infection
Special Qualities: Degeneration
Saves: Same as the base creature

Abilities: +2 STR, -2 CON, -2 CHA

Skills: Same as the base creature
Feats: Same as the base creature

Climate/Terrain: Depends on base creature.
Organization: Most often solitary
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature - 1

Treasure: Same as the base creature
Alignment: Always chaotic
Advancement: As base creature
Equivalent Class Level: -2

Infection (Ex): Those hit by a toxic avenger run the risk of being damaged by the layer of chemicals that still coats the creatures skin. Treat as contact poison with DC of 15, initial effect of 1 temporary constitution point loss and 1d6 acid damage, secondary effect 1 permanent constitution point loss.

Degeneration (Ex): With the substances (whatever they may be) still inside them these creatures' chances of a long and fruitful life are not good. Every month they must make a Fortitude save again DC 15 or lose another point of constitution.

psychognome

First Post
Blacksway said:
Sorry? What do you mean? You reckon it should be -1 not -2 maybe? Or perhaps 0? I don't know, I couldn't decide.
I don't think that any creature should have an ECL of less than zero, it gives too much room for players to abuse it. Also, with all the changes the character overcomes (such as the change into an Aberration which renders you immune to all abilities that don't affect Aberrations) I think the ECL should be +1... but with the degeneration ability, it should be just plain ol' 0.

Krishnath

First Post
But toxie's strong and powerful. :???: Interresting Idea though, But the ECL should be +0, and what happens if for example a sorcerer gets the template, does s/he lose two levels? Has potential though :D I like it, even if the name could be better...

Remove ads