Would you allow this?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I wondered the same upthread. I hope someone can clarify because if there isn't a winged aasimar, this whole example doesn't really work.

There is no winged Aasimar. Aasimar as presented in VGtM have a once per long rest ability that may grant them flight for 1 min, based on the specific subrace of Aasimar you choose.

Satyrn

First Post
This is a hypothetical situation: I'm asking not because it occurred at the table but because I think different POV's about roleplaying/rules might result in different answers, which might be interesting.

Situation: a player wants to play an Aasimar, but thinks the flying is kind of cheesy/OP, so describes the character as having burn-scarred stumps instead of wings (with an appropriate backstory explaining how this happened.) The player asks the DM for nothing in exchange for giving up this ability.

Many levels later, the player finds him/herself in a desperate situation where a short burst of flight will save the party from TPK. He/she narrates that in a burst of divine energy, newly formed wings burst forth from the stumps, and the character proceeds to fly, as per RAW in SCAG.

Would you allow it? Why/why not?

It depends on whether I originally allowed the aasimar in the game specifically because it couldn't fly.

If I'd have allowed the aasimar with flight, then this would be fine with me. If I'd have banned the aasimar because of it's flight, I'd not be okay with this.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
There is no winged Aasimar. Aasimar as presented in VGtM have a once per long rest ability that may grant them flight for 1 min, based on the specific subrace of Aasimar you choose.

Okay, that's what I thought and mentioned. So my take on this example is that if you took a protector aasimar and want to describe your character as having burned off wings or whatever, that's fine. You still have the Radiant Soul trait and it's up to you when you use it.

G

Guest 6801328

Doh. Somehow I was thinking they actually had wings, and could sometimes use them as their special ability.

Speaking of which...an Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer would not be legal for AL play, because it would be PHB +2, right?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
No issue here. The player simply chose not to use an ability of their race until they felt it made sense for their characters personal story. From a purely mechanical perspective, they didn't trade it away for a different ability, they just didn't use it.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Doh. Somehow I was thinking they actually had wings, and could sometimes use them as their special ability.

Speaking of which...an Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer would not be legal for AL play, because it would be PHB +2, right?

That's my understanding. Aasimar is in VGtM, and Divine Soul is XGtE. So that would be 2 sources outside PHB.

MechaPilot

Explorer
This is a hypothetical situation: I'm asking not because it occurred at the table but because I think different POV's about roleplaying/rules might result in different answers, which might be interesting.

Situation: a player wants to play an Aasimar, but thinks the flying is kind of cheesy/OP, so describes the character as having burn-scarred stumps instead of wings (with an appropriate backstory explaining how this happened.) The player asks the DM for nothing in exchange for giving up this ability.

Many levels later, the player finds him/herself in a desperate situation where a short burst of flight will save the party from TPK. He/she narrates that in a burst of divine energy, newly formed wings burst forth from the stumps, and the character proceeds to fly, as per RAW in SCAG.

Would you allow it? Why/why not?

Yeah. I'd allow it. I'd want the player to ask me if it was alright first, but I'd allow it.

Why would I allow it? First of all, yes, it's cool and thematic. Secondly, the character has spent many levels of play getting by with getting less out of her choice of character race than the race was built to provide. And finally, getting back the flight only restores the character's racial abilities to its default.

Frankly, when the character was made I would've worked with the player to try to give her some mechanical benefit that fit her backstory in exchange for the loss of flight. If the backstory had her wings burned away in a fight with a demon, I'd offer her bonus damage against demons, or something else appropriate to her story. I'd even let her keep that benefit once the wings came back, especially since she played through many levels before getting the wings back. At that point, to me, it's just equivalent to giving that character a magic item at a very opportune moment.

S

Sunseeker

I tend to be cool with flight from low levels.

I'm also cool with players choosing not to have features granted to them via their class, race or whatever.

But I'm probably not cool with a player choosing to use a feature they opted out of, to the point of "I have charred wing stubs." deciding in a pinch that they are going to use the feature anyway. Maybe if there was some cool RP lead up where they beseeched their god for aid to save their friend, yeah I could work with that. But just up and deciding to use it? Nope.

EDIT: I'm glad someone finally pointed out Aasimar don't have wings!
-As an aside, based on the SCAG options for Tieflings, I do houserule Aasimar to have the same optional features.

I'm cool with the "Radiant Soul" thing though, since that doesn't actually require wings.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
IF there was a character who had burned off wings, I'd first ask him why his wings were burned off to stubs. If there were a situation like this that came up in the game, whether or not the wings would regenerate and appear - and, if they did, how - would depend a lot on why those wings were gone. If that was the result of a curse and he was working to overcome that, then yes, I'd be OK with the wings reappearing. But if it were something more akin to a turning away from faith/heritage as a descendant of an upper plane ancestor, I might have demon wings appear instead.

In any event, I would strive to make the original reason for the lack of wings matter when it comes to the player, in desperation, renegotiating on that particular topic.

Remove ads