Would you allow this?

S

Sunseeker

IF there was a character who had burned off wings, I'd first ask him why his wings were burned off to stubs. If there were a situation like this that came up in the game, whether or not the wings would regenerate and appear - and, if they did, how - would depend a lot on why those wings were gone. If that was the result of a curse and he was working to overcome that, then yes, I'd be OK with the wings reappearing. But if it were something more akin to a turning away from faith/heritage as a descendant of an upper plane ancestor, I might have demon wings appear instead.

In any event, I would strive to make the original reason for the lack of wings matter when it comes to the player, in desperation, renegotiating on that particular topic.

As an interesting twist, it'd be creative, IMO for a character to have some kind of terrible scars on their back and never know that they actually had wings for *reasons* only to be hit with a regenerate for the first time and would ya look at that!

ccs

41st lv DM
I wondered the same upthread. I hope someone can clarify because if there isn't a winged aasimar, this whole example doesn't really work.

I don't care enough to check. I'm just assuming yes for the sake of discussion.
And if there isnt? Then eventually WoTC will print one. Or some DM somewhere will allow one anyways....

Would you allow it? Why/why not?
Never in a million years. In fact, I'd carefully consider whether that player is a right fit for the table.

In a role-playing game, a player makes decisions from the perspective of their character. They have absolutely zero control over anything else that happens in the world, outside of the decisions that their character makes. A player who doesn't understand that, and assumes narrative control over things their character cannot influence, would be better served in some other game.

I would allow the character to re-grow their wings, if they were subject to a Regeneration spell. A high-level cleric might also grow wings as a result of Divine Intervention, but that would be true regardless of whether or not they had wings originally.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don't care enough to check. I'm just assuming yes for the sake of discussion.
And if there isnt? Then eventually WoTC will print one. Or some DM somewhere will allow one anyways....

Honestly, if there's a winged tiefling then why not a winged aasimar. Those races are mirrors of each other anyway.

ccs

41st lv DM
Never in a million years. In fact, I'd carefully consider whether that player is a right fit for the table.

In a role-playing game, a player makes decisions from the perspective of their character. They have absolutely zero control over anything else that happens in the world, outside of the decisions that their character makes. A player who doesn't understand that, and assumes narrative control over things their character cannot influence, would be better served in some other game.

Wow. You must've had some bad xps with creative players. Need to talk about it?
Tell you what, you meet any, you just send them on over to the rest of us. We'll be glad to take players who'll virtually volunteer for additional plot twists. Those wings & creativity don't come free you know. ;)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't like players declaring that their PCs can suddenly do stuff out of the blue .... but I have to admit, that would be a pretty dang cool scene, and I probably would allow it just because of that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Setting aside how SCAG says Aasimar can be built by rules in the DMG if you want them, and it is tieflings that can have wings...

Let us assume that Aasimar have wings, or have an option to have them. However it happens, tiefling, aasimar, or some other race - the player takes a character with wings, and then chooses to not use that ability.

If they had a spell in their spellbook, and never used it, and then bust it out 7 levels later... well, of course I'd allow it. I don't see as this is much different.

The only thing to note is, from that time on, the PC has wings. The only cost to wings is that they are a bit of a pain in the neck, and are pretty darned obvious. If you haven't been using the ability, I don't see as not paying the price is an issue. But, one you are using the ability, the cost of awkwardness (both physical and social) will be present.

Last edited:

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Yes, but not as physical wings, rather as wings made of that divine energy, which then dissipates once the need for them is over, perhaps to return in the future if the situation is again dire enough to need them.

My only addendum to this would be that the player needs to yell "Shazam!" before the wings sprout again.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is a hypothetical situation: I'm asking not because it occurred at the table but because I think different POV's about roleplaying/rules might result in different answers, which might be interesting.

Situation: a player wants to play an Aasimar, but thinks the flying is kind of cheesy/OP, so describes the character as having burn-scarred stumps instead of wings (with an appropriate backstory explaining how this happened.) The player asks the DM for nothing in exchange for giving up this ability.

Many levels later, the player finds him/herself in a desperate situation where a short burst of flight will save the party from TPK. He/she narrates that in a burst of divine energy, newly formed wings burst forth from the stumps, and the character proceeds to fly, as per RAW in SCAG.

Would you allow it? Why/why not?

I would give the player a roll for it. Failure being a fail of course. Success being the wings growing back. And a near success perhaps giving a feather fallish type effect where he becomes light enough to make the distance, but doesn't have his wings grow back.

Remove ads