Advantage vs. bonus?

Three outliers for saving throws:
Monk gets proficiency in all of them
Rogue and rangers get wisdom save proficiencies. I really don't like it with the rogue because you get it sooo late that you might already habe take the matching resilient feat.

The main reason I wouldn't grant Advantage as an "always on" feat is that no matter how many times you have advantage and disadvantage, it always becomes "neither". So even if you have three times advantage, if you have one time disadvantage it's still a normal roll. Proficiency on the other hand always gives the bonus regardless of situation, so it's more suitable as a permanent bonus.

I think dwarven resilience is a good model.

It grants advantage to con savss for a specific thing - poison.

If you are going the advantage route i would suggest something like this.

Monkey people? Advantage on acrobatics checks to scale trees and buildings.

Cat people? Advantage on acrobatics checks involving balance.

Etc etc

Reynard

Legend
The main reason I wouldn't grant Advantage as an "always on" feat is that no matter how many times you have advantage and disadvantage, it always becomes "neither". So even if you have three times advantage, if you have one time disadvantage it's still a normal roll. Proficiency on the other hand always gives the bonus regardless of situation, so it's more suitable as a permanent bonus.
This was the first 5e rule I changed. At my table, whether a character has advantage or disadvantage for an action is based on the aggregate of modifying circumstances.

Remove ads