WOIN Healing and refreshing luck pools

Steven Barker

First Post
I've got a few questions about how some of once-a-day mechanics work in WOIN. Specifically, healing for androids and the refreshing of luck pools.

There's an FAQ about android healing, but other than mentioning that you'd need the Engineering skill and Engineer exploits instead of Medicine and Medic exploits, it doesn't really mention if normal healing is available. Specially, I'm asking about this healing rule from page 173 the N.E.W. v1.2 book:
Once per day, a character may spend one hour to recover HEALTH. The amount recovered is equal to one roll of her END dice pool.
There's no conditions on that rule in the book (you don't need to be receiving medical treatment or anything). Does it work for Androids, or is it only for biological characters? I think it could be justified as automated maintenance nanobots fixing stuff up or some other technobabble, but I'm not sure if that rule is supposed to apply to androids at all. If it doesn't apply (and there's nobody with Engineer exploits around), is the only other option paying the 100 credits per HP that's listed in the FAQ doc, or can characters make some kind of engineering roll to do the repairs themselves?

My other question is about luck pools and how they refresh. My understanding is that you get a full pool at the start of each day, and everyone can refresh it once during the day when they have 5 mins out of action. Some exploits allow an extra refresh (but they don't stack, so you can't use more than three full pools per day). Is that correct? Or is the one refresh per day the one that happens at the start of the day, and most characters can't do more than that? As a concrete example, can my Smuggler with LUC 10 (4d6 pool) and the Seat of Your Pants exploit (one extra refresh) use 12 dice per day, or only 8 (assuming he always refreshes only when the pool is empty)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've got a few questions about how some of once-a-day mechanics work in WOIN. Specifically, healing for androids and the refreshing of luck pools.

There's an FAQ about android healing, but other than mentioning that you'd need the Engineering skill and Engineer exploits instead of Medicine and Medic exploits, it doesn't really mention if normal healing is available. Specially, I'm asking about this healing rule from page 173 the N.E.W. v1.2 book:

There's no conditions on that rule in the book (you don't need to be receiving medical treatment or anything). Does it work for Androids, or is it only for biological characters? I think it could be justified as automated maintenance nanobots fixing stuff up or some other technobabble, but I'm not sure if that rule is supposed to apply to androids at all.

You've nailed it. As it says, it applies to all characters (other than some undead types which have an exploit which explicitly forbids natural healing).

My other question is about luck pools and how they refresh. My understanding is that you get a full pool at the start of each day, and everyone can refresh it once during the day when they have 5 mins out of action.

You don't get a full pool at the start of each day. You may be bringing that over from another game. You regain LUCK (and HEALTH) by spending 5 mins once per day.

Steven Barker

First Post
You don't get a full pool at the start of each day. You may be bringing that over from another game. You regain LUCK (and HEALTH) by spending 5 mins once per day.
Ah, OK. That's how I'd originally assumed it worked. I got confused when reading more about it. Specifically, this line at the very start of the LUCK chapter in N.E.W. seems misleading:
At the start of each game day, each player should form a LUCK dice pool.

Remove ads