Tell Me About Your Experiences With High Level 5E

My gut tells me that's about right. With the proviso that I have seen a good number of level 18 PCs, but only one level 20 PC, so I can't really comment on the impact of capstone abilities like
infinite Wildshape. My suspicion though is that a horde of high DPR CR 12s would be very dangerous to a wildshaping moon druid. Also there's stuff like the can't-die-from-damage Zealot
Barbarian who is invincible vs dumb brutes but easily snuffed by a Wiz-1 with 'Sleep'.
Actually, using online calculators, it looks like using monster xp without any multiplication at all yields usable and similar results.

CapnZapp

Legend
No D&D does that well at high level, 4E grinds to a creeping halt (assuming it did not drive you off to play Pathfinder), 5E more or less does it the best with some competition from BECMI and 2E. High level in 1E was level 10.
Who's talking about 4E?

I'm talking about the notion of using the PHB with published hardback adventures.

Weak-sauce. Do it yourself.

The poster questioning if the game really understands how powerful heroes become using the goodies the PHB alone gives them gets it.

Reynard

Legend
Sounds like we're running similar high-level campaigns, my group is about to start their journey to take on Demogorgon. :)

We recently finished Out of the Abyss at 14th level and when the DM asked what our PCs were doing, I said my half-orc barbarian was trying to figure out a way into the Abyss because it just didn't seem right that they weren't really dead. Hopefully we get to eventually roll Tier IV versions of our heroes into the Lower Planes to finish the job.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
We recently finished Out of the Abyss at 14th level and when the DM asked what our PCs were doing, I said my half-orc barbarian was trying to figure out a way into the Abyss because it just didn't seem right that they weren't really dead. Hopefully we get to eventually roll Tier IV versions of our heroes into the Lower Planes to finish the job.

Cool. I’m reworking OotA to be a high level campaign where the PCs have to be the demonbusters and clean out the Underdark :) This is after LMoP -> ToD with SKT thrown in for good measure!

Zardnaar

Legend
Who's talking about 4E?

I'm talking about the notion of using the PHB with published hardback adventures.

Weak-sauce. Do it yourself.

The poster questioning if the game really understands how powerful heroes become using the goodies the PHB alone gives them gets it.

High level D&D is more of an art form than a science. Some of the older adventures gives you some idea on what to do. For example a naval adventure on a boat with 4 Triton wizards riding dolphins lobbing lightning bolts (32d6 damage), multiple hell hounds, traps, puzzles, and magical dungeons etc. I can do it I'm not a big fan due to the zaniness even if the power level is reasonably low (say level 21-25 in the old BECMI, we each had a personal flying ship).

Reynard

Legend
That's been basically true for anything above about 12th level since the game came out in the '70's.

That's not entirely true. BECMI actually had pretty robust high level support, from high level adventures to domain and war rules, all the way up to becoming an Immortal.

Celebrim

Legend
That's not entirely true. BECMI actually had pretty robust high level support, from high level adventures to domain and war rules, all the way up to becoming an Immortal.

Yeah, I might concede that. I haven't done anything from BECMI beyond 'Companion' level, and when I used that material it was with AD&D PC's, but certainly BECMI had spent more time working out the numbers it needed and wasn't afraid of them.

Remove ads