What gaming habit of yours has annoyed other players?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've been enjoying all the discussion about bad DMing practices in other threads. And I always enjoy bad-player horror stories. But these always seem to be about the flaws of OTHER players. It is kinda like how the majority of drivers feel that they are better than average drivers. That obviously cannot be true. Similarly, we can't always be the victims of bad behavior, we some of us, sometimes, must have been the perpetrators.

What are some examples where you--as either a player or GM--annoyed other players? How did you come to learn about their annoyance? Were you aware of it or did it catch you off guard? How did you react? Just because you annoyed someone doesn't mean that you were in the wrong or that you have to change, though it is certainly a good habit to at least consider whether someone's complaints have merit.

Here are some things I've done that have irked other players at the table.

When I DM I like to use measure sticks that I made using instructions by DM's Craft. I like these because they can be used for gridless play, but even on a grid, it can be quicker to use the stick to move a mini 30'. As a DM, I've never had an issue. But as a player, I've had some DMs refuse to let me use them. They want me to count out the squares. No big deal, the measuring stick goes back into my bag.

But I found that this practice has led to some other habits that have annoyed DMs when I'm a player. For example, when using a measuring stick, you determine the distance and then move the mini. At a recent game, I could see that the DM was getting annoyed with me and I wasn't sure why. I thought maybe I was taking to long deciding on movement, which seemed unfair because I wasn't taking longer than others as far as I could tell. Finally, the DM says "just move your mini when you count out the squares!" I was counting the squares and then moving the mini. This extra unnecessary step was bothering the DM. Again, no big deal. It makes sense and I adjusted immediately.

Another habit of mine is to explore and make sure that any obvious lead or quest hook isn't a red herring or a trap. This, I think, is due to most of my gaming is with long-term campaigns with the same group of people. Plots tend to be more complicated than organized play. I found that not immediately biting the obvious plot hook will annoy many other AL players. Generally, I find I enjoy AL games most when I play a supporting character and let more hard-core AL players make the major decisions. This isn't all AL games of course, but I find that AL games are more railroady and that is how many of the players like them. Again, not an issue, just required an adjustment.

That's all I can think of at this time, though I'm sure there is more.

What about you?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Nobody's ever told me that I annoyed them as a player, but I do know I have some weaknesses that are certainly of zero help to the team.

First, I have terrible spatial sense. Stick me in a relatively complex dungeon like the Tomb of Annihilation and my character would starve to death in there before I ever found my way out. So I am absolutely no help when it comes to navigating. Along those same lines, I am godawful at puzzles. I took the personality trait "I love a good puzzles or mystery" on my ToA character just to be ironic. So, again, I'm dead weight in the team when it comes to that sort of thing.

As well, I love a drink or nine when we play, so I will almost certainly not have a great memory for the details of previous sessions. I'll generally remember the broad strokes, but small details will be completely forgotten until someone jogs my memory. My age, which seems to go up every year, doesn't help with this either.

I would probably annoy people who take their D&D super-seriously, too. My character are always these pulpy, memey things that are very memorable but who are not serious at all. Or if they are serious, they're a parody of seriousness by being over-the-top serious. And they always have names that are puns or the like. (But hey, at least people remember my characters' names! They won't remember super-serious guy's edgelord character's name!) Luckily, everyone I play with is in it for the laughs, too.

S'mon

Legend
As a GM I've annoyed players by:

Killing their PC (definitely, in 2008)
Not paying attention to their backstory (I think)

I don't recall annoying other players as a player, except in a 4e game where I was bored with the infinite monster puzzle trap and my back/pelvis was hurting so much I had to lie on the floor.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As well, I love a drink or nine when we play, so I will almost certainly not have a great memory for the details of previous sessions. I'll generally remember the broad strokes, but small details will be completely forgotten until someone jogs my memory. My age, which seems to go up every year, doesn't help with this either.

I would probably annoy people who take their D&D super-seriously, too. My character are always these pulpy, memey things that are very memorable but who are not serious at all. Or if they are serious, they're a parody of seriousness by being over-the-top serious. And they always have names that are puns or the like. (But hey, at least people remember my characters' names! They won't remember super-serious guy's edgelord character's name!) Luckily, everyone I play with is in it for the laughs, too.
I second this motion in its entirety. :)

My main means of annoying other players is being the gonzo one who hasn't got the patience for all the planning and just charges in. Problem is, it's also my main means of killing off my characters...

I used to monologue for too long. I was asked to shorten my speeches.
I used to offer unsolicited optimization advice.
I used to show up too early.
I used to bitch at players who were no-call no-show.

fobia

Villager
I second this motion in its entirety. :)

My main means of annoying other players is being the gonzo one who hasn't got the patience for all the planning and just charges in. Problem is, it's also my main means of killing off my characters...

I used to get into arguments with a friend who played like that in every single campaign.
The first tabletop RPG I played was Shadowrun and my DM at that time was very good at making the tactical element of that game a ton of fun! Even though it sometimes stretched over literal hours, we loved to plan our heists, gather intel, make plans and so forth.
So I became very frustrated with said player in D&D, when the group had carefully (but within a few minutes) planned out an approach to a certain problem and he just "charged in". That happened a few times more and I became irritated.
I thought it was rude of him to disrupt everything we planned and just quote his character's personality traits or low intelligence as a justification. It took me a while to accept that the "smart" approach is not always the most fun to some players and it is legitimate to play out a character that way, as long as the others get their way to problem-solving as well.

I still think it's problematic when that happens to often. That kind o play can make a certain character the deciding factor 100% of the time and that is not fair to others. But as long as it's balanced and everyone in the group gets the chance to shine with his edgelord, tactician, coward or silvertongue as well, it's fine.

Tallifer

Hero
<laughs> I definitely pissed one player off when as dungeon master I turned off his background triphop music on his mp3 player and started playing Harmonia Artificiosa by Ignaz Biber on my PC. I simply got carried away in the moment of describing a particular scene.

Remove ads