D&D 5E What if Expertise were a simple +2?

Quartz

Hero
Currently, Expertise doubles your proficiency bonus. This means that PCs can simply take a level of Rogue and instantly get +4 to +12 to their roll. That doesn't seem right to me, and mathematically, multipliers are a bad idea where bounded accuracy is involved.

So how about having Expertise as a plain +2? That's low enough to not be game-breaking but high enough to matter, especially at low levels. Rogues could perhaps improve it to +4 at 10th level instead of the ASI.

How would this affect the game?

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
As precedent, I'll cite two of the Fighter's Combat Styles: Sharpshooter is a fixed +2 to hit and Duellist is a fixed +2 to damage. Both are initially the same as the Proficiency Bonus but unlike Expertise stay there.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Currently, Expertise doubles your proficiency bonus. This means that PCs can simply take a level of Rogue and instantly get +4 to +12 to their roll. That doesn't seem right to me, and mathematically, multipliers are a bad idea where bounded accuracy is involved.

So how about having Expertise as a plain +2? That's low enough to not be game-breaking but high enough to matter, especially at low levels. Rogues could perhaps improve it to +4 at 10th level instead of the ASI.

How would this affect the game?

Which Ability Checks are you having issues with?

Is it just multiclassing that you don't like? If so, I would look at multiclassing rather than class features.

The only checks I'm not a fan of are shove and grapple. These are attacks and shouldn't be handled as ability checks.

It would make single-classed rogues worse just to avoid a multiclass dip that I have never seen in actual play. I don't think that's necessary or even worth it.

jgsugden

Legend
PCs are heroes. They do remarkable things. Being experts in a couple skills allows a PC to do some remarkable things.... like they're supposed to do. Trivialing certain challenges MAKES the PCs heroic. Celebrate these high ability scores for what they are - something that makes the PC far better than the average Joe...

G

Guest 6801328

Comparing bonuses between combat and skills isn't a good idea. Apples and oranges.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I find it interesting that a lot of people are bothered by Expertise supposedly "breaking" bounded accuracy at high levels, yet I don't see many complaints about huge ability score bonuses that are easily attainable at the lowest levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases