Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

delericho

Legend
Yeah. They used to get around that with the "fixed point in time" technobabble but they don't do that any more.

It would have been interesting in this episode if the Doctor had noted that she could have interfered here - except that doing so would delete Yaz.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would have been interesting in this episode if the Doctor had noted that she could have interfered here - except that doing so would delete Yaz.

Presumable every action she takes deletes somebody from the perspective of a time traveller.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I have to agree that, while it was an enjoyable episode, I'm not keen on the whole "witness of history" theme.

It also serves to highlight the often-handwaved question of when is it alright for the Doctor to intervene in events, past or future, on Earth or elsewhere? From the Doctor's viewpoint, isn't it all part of established history?

It's kind of the paradox with all time travel stories, isn't it? Are the events the way they are from the time traveler's perspective because they lacked their intervention or because of their intervention? If the intervention was suitably subtle to the known historical record, the time traveler wouldn't know until they went back and intervened.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Quite enjoyed today’s episode. Felt a lot more old school. Workers disappearing, a little less sombre than some episodes have been this year. Nothing new, just a traditional Who episode — we’ve seen cheery polite killer robots like those dozens of times before, but that’s OK.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
nice episode and I did like the twist of the System being the 'good guy', Nice couple of easter egg references too (Fez, Agatha Christie)

I also note that next week is another Historic Episode, so I wonder if they are going back to that as a fundamental pattern for the show

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Yep, this was a better episode.

Though I'm curious: how did they cut the bubble wrap to pack the items without popping any of the bubbles and thus setting off the bombs?

Remove ads