Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I never ever thought I'd be posting something like this, but...

There's an official Doctor Who Barbie doll:
https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/pop-culture-movies/doctor-who-barbie-doll-fxc83

tumblr_pgatnsMzxb1rug1w2o1_500.jpg

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I think they are becoming more brave. Yaz may be leading the way so I say she would be the first one.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This far in how do you feel regarding the question: Can you see any of the companions hitting a Dalek with a bat?

My moneys on Graham, he may have calmed down in his retirement but he’s from the right era to be up for a bit of biffo.
Yaz might be capable but she seems a bit more sensible, so I don’t think she’d pull that Ace out of her pocket
Ryan will be too busy being angsty about his coordination issues

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Alan Cumming totally chewing up the scenery as King James.

Fairly standard Who episode -- the evil witch hunter turns out to be the witch, which is aliens. I would have thought the Doctor would get accused earlier... she's basically a wizard, after all.

Does the TARDIS have some kind of perception filter regarding their clothes? Nobody really noticed how they were dressed (I think King James made one comment). I know the TARDIS handles language for them.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Would it have been common for a man from Africa or woman from Pakistan to be roaming the countryside in the 17th century? That wasn't questioned either.

Hussar

Legend
Would it have been common for a man from Africa or woman from Pakistan to be roaming the countryside in the 17th century? That wasn't questioned either.

Doctor Who has trod that ground more than a few times. Scenes from different parts of history that are pretty ... colorful? I guess that's a word. :D

17th century? Not terribly unheard of. Europeans had been in North America by a century by then. Trade with India and China had been pretty well established. It wouldn't exactly be something you'd see every day, but, not unheard of either. I mean, heck, the slave trade had been going for about a century by this point.

The problem is, our history books tend to really gloss over things quite a bit when it comes to demographics.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Black Moors (aka Blackamoors) were common in continental Europe (remember Moorish Spain) and many came to Medieval England via France as Court Musicians as well as Servants. Apparently there were hundreds of Africans in Tudor England working as Merchants and even a sailor who travelled with Sir Francis Drake. Asians became more prominent after the 1600s and the rise of the East India Company who often brough Indian Servants back to England with them.

Its also during this later era that discrimination against Africans and Asians became more prominent motivated by the superiority complex of the East India Company and the 'new' Slave Trade

Remove ads