Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

MarkB

Legend
A very mediocre alien-of-the-week in this episode, generic Doctor Who fare that seemed to be there purely as a plot device to excuse the Doctor for interfering in history rather than standing back and observing terrible events play out.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Ugh , average at best. I had high hopes for this season as Broadchurch was fantastic, and I think JW is a great Doctor. They stories are simply hit and miss.
I regularly rewatch / listen to old favourites going back to Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith episodes. That really tapered off with Capaldi’s seasons, and there have only been 1-2 this year I would revisit :(

Ryujin

Legend
I'm willing to give them the series to sort themselves out. There have been big changes in personnel and tone, so it'll take a bit for them to find their feet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m liking it more than Capaldi’s first series (which was the weakest since 2005) but found Capaldi ended up being my favourite Doctor, with much stronger 2nd and 3rd series.

carrot

Explorer
It's finally got to the point where I've given up on this incarnation and removed it from series link. I didn't even get halfway through the last episode.

It is hugely disappointing - I've been watching since the Tom Baker days, and haven't missed a single episode since Peter Davison took over, but I really have not enjoyed very much about this series. I found myself watching some of the Matt Smith episodes yesterday and those were still really enjoyable but I couldn't tell you what made the difference.

Maybe (if the rumours are true) when Chris Chibnal leaves, I'll start watching again.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
So far I think JW is completely fine as the doctor (neither the best nor the worst) but as the stories she's been given so far are also "fine" perhaps she'll only get the opportunity to shine when the stories become stronger . . .

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I rarely go back and re-watch Doctor Who episodes outside of Baker and Tenant, but I did quite like "Demons of the Punjab" and am sure I'll watch it again. But most episodes have been disappointing, which is almost entirely due to the writing. Jodie Whittaker is doing a fine job as the doctor. I like her portrayal very much. I also really like Graham and Yasmin. Ryan seems like a 3rd wheel, I'm hoping he just needs to grow into the role. But he's not to blame. The stories themselves are just not particularly compelling.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The Doctor made a new friend. :)

I enjoyed this episode. It'll make me think twice about wool clothes and lamb chops. How Graham reacted to seeing Grace is how I would have reacted. That is sentence passes my lips daily.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
OMG a real blind actress!!!

Ryan was a bit of dick regarding Hannes dad, though I suppose he does have his own daddy issues and he was vindicated after the monster reveal is made showing that Hannes dad really was a dick about keeping his daughter barricaded in the house.

I did like that they referenced Yaz's police training to deal with kids, it makes her backstory relevant. Also nice to bring up Grahams sandwich and the easteregg of the Doctor tasting the dirt to work out where they were..

What was the point of Ribbons? just a random portal guardian in a tunnel? The ending was cute with its badly animated Frog and "Friendship is Magic" resolve

Anyway is was okay as an episode, but rather unforgettable and I dunno if Whittaker has yet captured the 'power' of the Doctor. She has the zaniness down, but the Doctor is also an Authority, credible threat that invokes respect - even Matt Smith was able to do the serious tone and menance when he needed to, thats not come through with Whittaker.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyway is was okay as an episode, but rather unforgettable and I dunno if Whittaker has yet captured the 'power' of the Doctor. She has the zaniness down, but the Doctor is also an Authority, credible threat that invokes respect - even Matt Smith was able to do the serious tone and menance when he needed to, thats not come through with Whittaker.

She’s more old school. The bombastic superhero Doctor of authority is a more recent creation.

Remove ads