D&D 5E Question on Ranger's and traps

ScuroNotte

Explorer
In Xanathar's Guide it states that Thieves' Tools is required to disable Bear Traps and Trip Wires. Does that require Rangers to gain the Thieves' Tools to set or disarm these traps; even if the traps are not their own.

I have not found much written on this subject.

I know some allow the Ranger use Survival checks to disarm traps that do not require keys or have locks.
Others require Thieves' Tools to disarm these traps.

What would you require or allow for a Ranger to disarm hunting traps or other traps that would be encountered through "traveling":

1. Ranger can use Survival if trap has no locks or doesn't require keys
  2. Ranger needs proficiency in Thieves' Tools
  3. You do something else

collin

Explorer
[FONT=&]In Xanathar's Guide it states that Thieves' Tools is required to disable Bear Traps and Trip Wires. Does that require Rangers to gain the Thieves' Tools to set or disarm these traps; even if the traps are not their own.

I have not found much written on this subject.

I know some allow the Ranger use Survival checks to disarm traps that do not require keys or have locks.
Others require Thieves' Tools to disarm these traps.[/FONT]

[FONT=&]
What would you require or allow for a Ranger to disarm hunting traps or other traps that would be encountered through "traveling":
[/FONT]

1. Ranger can use Survival if trap has no locks or doesn't require keys
  2. Ranger needs proficiency in Thieves' Tools
  3. You do something else

My response for the Ranger is:
- use Survival if the trap has no particular lock mechanism

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
If a trap requires thieves’ tools to disarm then you need to have the actual tool kit. Being proficient allows you to add your proficiency bonus to any checks your DM asks for to disarm the traps. If you aren’t proficient, you can still try to use the tools. You just don’t get to add your bonus if you have to make a check.

5ekyu

Hero
Bear traps are to me an example trap that would not need thieves tools to set off or disarm if found without triggering.

Pretty sure "having locks" and "requiring a key" is not the only reason why Thieves' Tools are required to disarm traps as those tools also include "a small mirror mounted on a metal handle, a set of narrow-bladed scissors, and a pair of pliers."

The DM determines what ability, skill and tool proficiencies apply depending not only on the trap, but also on the approach of the PC.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Pretty sure "having locks" and "requiring a key" is not the only reason why Thieves' Tools are required to disarm traps as those tools also include "a small mirror mounted on a metal handle, a set of narrow-bladed scissors, and a pair of pliers."

The DM determines what ability, skill and tool proficiencies apply depending not only on the trap, but also on the approach of the PC.

I understand. I was trying to think of a way without encroaching completely on that skill set.

5ekyu

Hero
That's what I thought until Xanathar's guide. I know it can be homebrewed.
Its not homebrew - read XGtE again... About countermeasures it says the following:

"If the characters discover a trap, be open to adjudicating their ideas for defeating it. The trap’s description is a starting point for countermeasures, rather than a complete definition."

aco175

Legend
A simple trap like this I would just let them disarm. Now with tools you can make it rigged to go off is someone tries to disarm. 5e traps do not seem as powerful as older editions so they are easy to bypass once noticed.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Any trap designed to injure or tap an animal would be very simple to safely trigger with a stick. I think the trick would be noticing them in time.

Any trap that requires Thieves tools to disarm is not meant for beasts, but for the slaying of undesirable humanoid intruders.

At least that's the guideline I use.

Remove ads