D&D 5E Question on Ranger's and traps

Satyrn

First Post
But unless it's in the background history, I can't see how a Ranger picks locks. I was trying to find an alternative idea that could be used universally.
I think the absolutely easiest fix to this would be to say that, although thieves tools are being used, proficiency with thieves tools is not required. Then the ranger can buy thieves tools. I can't remember if the rules actually require proficiency, either.

Now, he won't be as good with those tools, but it's only a +2 to +4 difference, or more if you're one of the uncommon tables that get to those really high levels).

ScuroNotte

Explorer
What about this

Trapper Tools
This set of tools is used to help set up traps or to disarm traps set by your enemies. Being a hunter requires you to be proficient in traps that not only deal with simple beasts but also evolved creatures such as other humanoids. This set of tools includes a small file, 5 ft silken rope, a small mirror mounted on a metal handle, a set of narrow-bladed scissors, and a pair of pliers. Proficiency with these tools lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to create and disarm traps.

Remove ads