Build help: Wizard / Arcane caster with skills (at least a few) that isn't a bard

I agree that he needs to count on spells, but also...

Invisibility creates the possibility to Hide, but is not Stealth.
Enhance Ability needs a reasonable Persuasion to work with, since it gives advantage.
Knock is really loud!
At 4th level, you can Levitate twice, and can't Fly.

I mention this to say that I think for his character concept to work, he needs to think about which skills will be rolled for all the time (we see a lot of Stealth and Persuasion checks) and which are rare enough to rely on spells. Also, which spells can replace or buff hugely, like all the various Charms.

Yes, but this is why I followed up with offering the Half-Elf, Prodigy route. Between spells and the extra skills from race and feats, the wizard will have more than enough skills and tools to do what he needs. Layered with all those spells, it's a pretty good mix.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Yes, but this is why I followed up with offering the Half-Elf, Prodigy route. Between spells and the extra skills from race and feats, the wizard will have more than enough skills and tools to do what he needs. Layered with all those spells, it's a pretty good mix.
Agreed, a half-elf also looks pretty good. Better, maybe, as half-elf stats are an ASI better than human. So although half-elf spends their feat at 4th on Prodigy, perhaps for the human that ASI is taxed away anyhow. And you get Darkvision. What's not to like?

Tomice

Explorer
Thank you all! I always liked classical skillmonkeys, which made me hesitant to choose skill-starved classes. Your tips made them more appealing for me!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases