Build help: Wizard / Arcane caster with skills (at least a few) that isn't a bard

Tomice

Explorer
Hi! I'm struggling to realize a concept:

I basically want to create a Wizard that isn't a library-dweller, but someone who is a bit more grounded and versatile in real-life situations. I mean proficiencies like perception, thieves tools, stealth, persuasion, deception, acrobatics, maybe even survival. Someone who is some kind of magical special agent, but still a full caster (with 9th level spells). Someone who isn't too dependent on his party, but can be a backup face or skillmonkey when needs arise.

I know I could build a Bard, that's what I did before. But I'd like to have a spellbook this time (or at least another base class).

Ideas I came up with are a single-classed Wizard with the "skilled" feat and criminal background (or urban bounty hunter).
Or a two-level dip in rogue for the skills and cunning action.
I also thought about a three-level-dip into Arcane Trickster, but then I realized that the 3rd level really hurts for spell progression.

Whatever I do, none of the options seems especially appealing, the opportunity cost is always kinda high. Nothing has the "wow" synergy a build like bard/hexblade offers.

Any recommendations for a really good/synergystic/spicy build?

Satyrn

First Post
Ideas I came up with are a single-classed Wizard with the "skilled" feat and criminal background (or urban bounty hunter).

That's the way I'd go. Probably a diviner, specifically, with the intention of using the high rolls from Portent on skill checks.

I´d go with either transmutation or conjuration school and charlatan background. Instead of thief´s tools you use forgery kit and your school´s ability to make keys out of thin air or clay.
You can use your charlatan´s abilities to infiltrate. You use your unssen servant and familiar to do interesting things.
Transmuter´s stone is a great addition to any party and a great help for you.

Being variant human seems the most logical way to be a skill monkey. As conjurer, half elf might also be an option as you won´t get darkvison without your transmuter´s stone.

Tomice

Explorer
I basically want to create a Wizard that isn't a library-dweller, but someone who is a bit more grounded and versatile in real-life situations. I mean proficiencies like perception, thieves tools, stealth, persuasion, deception, acrobatics, maybe even survival. Someone who is some kind of magical special agent, but still a full caster (with 9th level spells). Someone who isn't too dependent on his party, and can be a backup face or skillmonkey when needs arise.

I know I could build a Bard, that's what I did before. But I'd like to have a spellbook this time (or at least another base class).

Or a two-level dip in rogue for the skills and cunning action.
I also thought about a three-level-dip into Arcane Trickster, but then I realized that the 3rd level really hurts for spell progression.

Whatever I do, none of the options seems especially appealing, the opportunity cost is always kinda high. Nothing has the "wow" synergy a build like bard/hexblade offers.

Any recommendations for a really good/synergystic/spicy build?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Sounds like you're already on the right path.

Wizard gets two skills from their list. Human gets one additional skill. The Skilled Feat gets three additional skills/tools. Background adds another two skills and potentially some tools.

With a Variant Human taking the Skilled feat at 1st level, that gives you 8 skills at 1st level.

That'll easily allow you to get Perception, Stealth, Persuasion, Deception, Acrobatics, and Survival, along with two other skills. Plus you could have potentially one or two additional tool proficiencies, depending on your background.

I'd suggest Arcana and Investigation, for your two Wizard skills. I'd lean towards Criminal, Urchin, or Urban Bounty Hunter for your Background, since they not only grant Thieves Tools proficiency but also hit two of your desired skills. Pick up the other four of your desired skills from your four Human/Skilled choices.

Half-Elf is another option, which grants two skill proficiencies. However, you'll have to wait until Level 4 to pick up Skilled, rather than having the free feat at 1st level from Variant Human, and that Level 4 ASI really should go towards boosting your casting stat. So you'll have an additional skill in the long run, at the price of slightly less effective casting.

Another option for expanding you skills is dipping 1 level in Knowledge Domain Cleric, which will get you both Proficiency and Expertise in two additional Knowledge skills. And it wont slow down your spell slot progression. But it will put you 1 level behind in Spells Known. So you'll have two additional Knowledge skills, as well as armor proficiency and a smattering of additional 0/1 level spells, at the price of somewhat less effective Wizard casting.

The bigger issue that you'll run into that if you want to be effective at these various other skills, you'll necessarily be a bit MAD. Rather than being able to focus on just primarily INT, you'll also need decent scores in DEX, WIS, and CHA too. Half-Elf could help with this, by boosting CHA in addition to two other abilities, at the aforementioned cost of the Level 1 feat.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Ah yes, the classic "I want it all" problem. :p

Closest I can get you is a Half-Elf Bladesinger.

I recommend dumping the Arcane spell requirement, and being a Trickery Domain Cleric. Or some kind of Druid.

TallIan

Explorer
I’m currently playing an urchin wizard, nice and sneaky and he ends up being the pert scout mist of the time.

The skilled feat is certainly flavoursome but I think just the two you get from background should be enough for almost anything.

Ashrym

Legend
Variant human or half-elf warlock, urchin background, tome, beguiling influence. That gets the backbone for skills and arcane spells, plenty of cantrips, a book (for rituals), and plenty of skills.

Remove ads