First Impressions – Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica

A segment of the Dungeons & Dragons' fan base have been clamoring for setting releases and while Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica won't appease those who want a 5th Edition update of an older setting like Greyhawk, Planescape or Spelljammer, it is a fresh setting that Wizards of the Coast clearly hopes will bring the Magic the Gathering crowd to D&D.

A segment of the Dungeons & Dragons' fan base have been clamoring for setting releases and while Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica won't appease those who want a 5th Edition update of an older setting like Greyhawk, Planescape or Spelljammer, it is a fresh setting that Wizards of the Coast clearly hopes will bring the Magic the Gathering crowd to D&D.

So what's my first impression of Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica? Fresh and familiar at the same time. Now don't take that as an insult MtG players. This is a first impression article. A more nuanced review will follow after I have read the entire book. This is based on an overall skim of the book and reading of selected passages.

For any veteran D&D player, Ravnica is new but has enough overlap with classic D&D that it won't be a shock to the system. For example, races include humans, elves, goblins, minotaurs and centaurs along with new-to-D&D races Vedalken and Simic Hybrid. Charts break down which classes work best with the 10 guilds, though you can be guildless.

Ravnica is a fantasy world with the magical technology flavor of Eberron. That's not to say it's derivitive of Eberron. Both settings offer modern conveniences through magic but get there and express them in different ways.

The introduction and first three chapters focus, understandably, on Ravnica as a setting and how to create a character and it gives you a lot of meat with which to work. Chapter 4 is about creating adventures, with some broad adventure ideas at the start of the chapter and then each guild section has more adventure hooks, specific to that group. I like the “Cross Purposes” charts and “Complications” for ways to make a villain affect the players without doing a blanket “you have to stop X” approach. It feels more organic. Having done similar things in my own home games for D&D and other RPGs, it can work really well.

Guild intrigue is, of course, a part of the adventure seeds. With 10 guilds and Ravnica's backstory, including the broken Guildpact and how things function now that it's been restored, intrigue really should be a key story driver in Ravnica adventures.

One odd note for those who might buy Ravnica on D&D Beyond is that you really want to tap the “View Welcome” button on the upper right instead of diving directly into chapter 1 and the rest of the leftside sidebar links. “View Welcome” actually takes you to the book's Introduction, which has a LOT of useful, downright essential, material for anyone new to Ravnica and even MtG players wanted to learn how the popular setting has been adapted to D&D. It covers everything from the history of Ravnica, both in-game and as part of MtG, to its currency and calendar.

Obviously readers of the physical book will naturally go to this essential chapter and all of the D&D Beyond editions of the hardcover books have the “View Welcome” button that separates the introduction from the chapters, but it's an odd layout issue. I handed my tablet to a friend who has played both MtG and D&D for years but never used D&D Beyond, and he was confused by the lack of introduction until I pointed out the “View Welcome” button.

I like the precinct by precinct breakdown in Chapter 3. The people and rumors tables in each section are a nice way of adding flavor, misdirects and possible adventure hooks as your players wander the city of Ravnica.

The art is very good and provides the context for this new (to D&D) world. It as much as anything helps to set a different tone than Forgotten Realms' adventures.

Really, I'm going to pay Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica the highest compliment I can in a first impressions article – that I can't wait to dive in and read the entire book.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

D1Tremere

Adventurer
I could be wrong, but I think the intention of this book is to set the stage for a guild campaign in Ravnica, not provide an entire history lesson, as was the case with 2e and 3e campaign setting books. I have nothing against the way that campaign products used to be marketed and structured, but 5e is not the same. There will likely be more books containing adventures in Ravnica (if the existing line is any indication), and they will likely flesh it out a bit more, but I think the main thing they wanted to do in 5e was to allow DMs and players to slide into campaign worlds, instead of immersing them in decades of accumulated minutia. If they do not give details for things in a 5e book, it is usually because they are leaving space for DMs to fill in the blanks as need be. A less is more kind of approach in keeping with 5e being more centered around acting out scenes against backdrops.

gyor

Legend
Some thoughts from what I saw in the video (95% or more of the book, serious he goes over almost everything).

I give the Races an A+, I even found the ideas on elves expression in Ravnica interesting.

Class get a C+, most subclass placements in guilds are obvious, but some big ones are missed. Orzhov should have had Way of Shadows Monk, and Hexblade & Celestial Warlocks and favoured Souls, as odd as this might sound Dimir should have Fey Warlocks, Conjurer wizards should have been common to all guilds, and more. What they did with Great Old Ones Pact was cool is responsible for the +.

The subclasses get a B, it would have been an A, but every guild should have gotten it's own.

The Beastiary is shocking disappointing, the most disappointing since I saw Tiamats stats.

The Good is Niv-Mizzet, Deathpact Angel, Firemane Angel, Battle Force Angel (should be CR 4 at most), Archon of the Triumivate, Conclave Dryad, Horncaller, Sire of Insanity, Master of Cruelity, Lavav, Zagana, Biomancer, Obzedat, Blood Drinker and Mind Drinker Vampires, Indenturered Spirits, Thrulls, Nightveil Spectre.

Disappointing: Aurelia and Rakdos, one thing I don't like about 5e is that epic, cosmic beings don't feel like epic cosmic beings stat wise, because they have little to know spellcaster or mechanics for shaping the universe. Aurelia has no spells at all, very little magic, and its only her helix and warlord like legendary action that keep her from being boring, and never use her along as a solo boss, she needs troops to lead to keep interesting, preferable other Angels. Aurelia is a glorified Battleforce Angel. Rakdos is only a little bit better. One interesting thing is they hint Rakdos might not be originally from Ravnica. Also Felidar shouldn't be over CR 2, they make a neat mount, but were more interesting in the Zendikar Planeshift article. Not that much better then a Celestial Sabretooth Cat mount from Find Steed and the winged version of Fedilar is that much better then a Pegasus.

Super disappointing: all the really cool creatures that should have been in this book, but aren't. Angels of Despair, Nephilim, Primordials, Blazing Archon, Indrik, Alms Beast, Avatar of the Sanguine Praector, Haazda, Pit Dragon, Hypersonic Dragon, Lord of the Void, Agrus Kos, Feather, Pivlic, Crackling Drake, Pontiff of Blight, Omniphibian, and more, alot more.

I give the Beastiary a C.

Btw guild membership is so powerful no one in their right mind would pick a none guild background, but the upside is guild membership is awesome. I wish all backgrounds got this kind of attention and benifits.

Exampe if your Character reaches the level of Pontiff in the Orzhov guild you will have a staff of mages, knights, priests, nobles (Syndics), Servitor & Winged thrulls, and Indentured Spirits, could have guild charm that can cast bestow curse, fear, and kind of an emergency death ward like ability, you can also have a Keyrune that can turn into a winged thrull, have an angel as your contact (or Giants, Vampires, and so on), guild signet that cam cast command up to 4 times a day, a wealthy life style, automatic friendiness from most people in your guild, guild spells, they will get you a lawyer if you need one, and pay for your funeral, get access to the Obzedat and possibly more.

I give the Guild section an A+, Guild membership functionally blurs the line between background and subclass.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
I could be wrong, but I think the intention of this book is to set the stage for a guild campaign in Ravnica, not provide an entire history lesson, as was the case with 2e and 3e campaign setting books. I have nothing against the way that campaign products used to be marketed and structured, but 5e is not the same. There will likely be more books containing adventures in Ravnica (if the existing line is any indication), and they will likely flesh it out a bit more, but I think the main thing they wanted to do in 5e was to allow DMs and players to slide into campaign worlds, instead of immersing them in decades of accumulated minutia. If they do not give details for things in a 5e book, it is usually because they are leaving space for DMs to fill in the blanks as need be. A less is more kind of approach in keeping with 5e being more centered around acting out scenes against backdrops.

The Art of Magic the Gathering: Ravnica as well as the novels and short stories might help fill in the lore issue as well.

The world colloquially known as "Nerath" was never fleshed out more the Nentir Vale in any great detail.
The first of the Known World Gazetteers only covered Karameikos.
The current Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron really only gives any detail about Sharn, while every other area gets between a paragraph to a page of info tops.
While some setting books take a macro-cosmic view of everything, some, like these ad GGtR, prefer a micro-cosmic view; a single ward and the major players in it vs the whole world/plane.

Sometimes, its worth detailing one small part fuller than giving a shallow overview of a millions things.
The point of Nerath was for you to invent your own details. It was a starting point.
The Known World wasn’t a planned setting so much as an assemblage of areas seen in adventures. And while the first only covered Karameikos, they planned more from the start.
Wayfarer’s Guide to Eberron works as a player’s guide because you can get a dozen other past Eberron books on PDF.

I could be wrong, but I think the intention of this book is to set the stage for a guild campaign in Ravnica, not provide an entire history lesson, as was the case with 2e and 3e campaign setting books.
Less thrilled about that.
I like to read a campaign setting and decide for myself what I find interesting and what kind of campaign I want to run.i don’t want the book to just tell me how to run my game. I want a big toolbox of ideas, not just a half-dozen hammers of varying sizes.

There will likely be more books containing adventures in Ravnica (if the existing line is any indication), and they will likely flesh it out a bit more
I have my doubts. Multiple books will just suffer dismissing returns. And they haven’t returned to any of the other planes.
It’s also not like we’ve seen more Ravenloft books since Curse of Strahd.

but I think the main thing they wanted to do in 5e was to allow DMs and players to slide “ campaign worlds, instead of immersing them in decades of accumulated minutia.
I like having an option.
If I don’t want minutia, I don’t have to read. Or I can just read a couple chapters.
If I want minutia and they don’t have any in the product... I need to make it. I buy campaigns settings so I don’t need to do that busy work and background stuff and can focus on the adventure.

If they do not give details for things in a 5e book, it is usually because they are leaving space for DMs to fill in the blanks as need be. A less is more kind of approach in keeping with 5e being more centered around acting out scenes against backdrops.
The more information there is in a book, the more possible sources of inspiration. You never know what hook or idea or seed is going to inspire a campaign.

It's what happens when you try and stuff a monster book, a setting book, an adventurer, a players book, a ton of art into a single book. They really should have made it into three books or abox set.

This is fine with me, as I would rather spend $50 to get into a new world, rather than $150. And boxed sets are generally loss leaders, as it is hard to make a high quality box set for a retail price that both makes the company money and the customers are willing to pay. Maybe, maybe, if they did it the way C7 did their 5E Adventures in Middle Earth, with a $40 players book and a $40 dollar loremasters book, it would work, but that $80 is pushing the budget limits of a lot of people too.

And yes, I know a lot of these can be gotten at a discount too, but it is easier to show the retail prices for this topic.

Irennan

Explorer
I like having an option.
If I don’t want minutia, I don’t have to read. Or I can just read a couple chapters.
If I want minutia and they don’t have any in the product... I need to make it. I buy campaigns settings so I don’t need to do that busy work and background stuff and can focus on the adventure.

The more information there is in a book, the more possible sources of inspiration. You never know what hook or idea or seed is going to inspire a campaign.

I don't understand why many people are against detailed settings. It's almost like preferring to pay more and get less. Generic campaign ideas can be found aplenty on the web, no need to spend $50 for them.

Remove ads

Remove ads