Anyone else find this really irritating?

G

Guest 6801328

Just to flog that horse...

iTunes has a feature that allows you to rip from CD.

So a good parallel in D&DB would be a feature that lets you scan in content from your books using OCR. Well, really, it would make more sense to just do image recognition to confirm what it is, then just populate the content from storage. Given that iTunes used the Gracenote music database to recognize CDs* in order to add album information and track names, it's actually a pretty close analogue.

I would happily pay D&DB $5/month if it worked that way.

The argument that you can always type in your content manually to D&DB would be like saying that you're free put a microphone in front of your speakers and record things to iTunes.

No, wait, that would still be far simpler than typing in the PHB.

It would be like typing ones and zeroes into iTunes...or hexadecimal, for the power user...to upload your music.

*Total digression, but since metadata was never part of the CD format, the way Gracenote recognized which CD you loaded was by looking at (almost) unique signature of the track length and order. Kinda clever hack, really.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You said you don't get SONGS ON ITUNES just because you purchased them on CD years ago.

I have thousands of SONGS ON ITUNES that I added from CDs I purchased years ago. You can persniggle about the methodology, but I get the use of my songs, on ITUNES, without additional cost because I bought them on CD once upon a time.

Regardless, I've stopped buying pen and paper supplements for D&D now that I am on Beyond. I like having the core books in hard copy, but I have not opened Sword Coast, Xanathar's, Mordy's or any of the other books in months, despite using the content all the time. It is sad that I will not have all of this content available forever in hardback, but I'll deal - most likely the material will be available in some format cheap/free by the time we hit 7E.
Are those songs available if you load up iTunes on another machine? For instance, if all the music you added was on your home machine and you wanted to listen to music at work, is all of the music you added from CDs available or only the music you bought from iTunes?

G

Guest 6801328

Are those songs available if you load up iTunes on another machine? For instance, if all the music you added was on your home machine and you wanted to listen to music at work, is all of the music you added from CDs available or only the music you bought from iTunes?

Now it's available anywhere via iCloud. Originally it was only on the machine you loaded it on.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You said you don't get SONGS ON ITUNES just because you purchased them on CD years ago.

I have thousands of SONGS ON ITUNES that I added from CDs I purchased years ago. You can persniggle about the methodology, but I get the use of my songs, on ITUNES, without additional cost because I bought them on CD once upon a time.

Regardless, I've stopped buying pen and paper supplements for D&D now that I am on Beyond. I like having the core books in hard copy, but I have not opened Sword Coast, Xanathar's, Mordy's or any of the other books in months, despite using the content all the time. It is sad that I will not have all of this content available forever in hardback, but I'll deal - most likely the material will be available in some format cheap/free by the time we hit 7E.

What I said is 100%, inarguably, correct. It ain’t any kind of nitpick, bud.

You don’t get anything for free from iTunes just bc you purchased a cd. You can add your personal library, just like you can in DDB. You’re trying to force a weird nitpick argument wherein you misrepresent what I even said.

You do not get anything from iTunes just because you bought a cd. That’s it. Stop pretending I made some other statement. You manually adding your files to iTunes is not at all the same thing as getting free digital copies from iTunes because you have a proof of purchase for a physical cd.

The only difference between iTunes and DDB (that’s relevant here, ignoring stuff like music vs books) is that adding your previously purchased material on DDB takes longer. That’s it.

doctorbadwolf

Hey, it would be nice if someone could get a discount for buying the content in a second format. But any means to accomplish that is rife with overhead costs and people falsifying the system as well. (But lets not get into that discussion!)

But also remember, when I buy all the WotC product in Fantasy Grounds, I'm not paying for a conversion, I'm paying for the content. Because I've never bought the hard copy books. So, listing them as paying for the conversions is not necessarily true either. It just depends on each person's situation.

You’re also paying to have the content in the very useful index and cross reference system provided by DDB. But you also get a new copy of the books, just not a physical one. IMO, it’s more valuable than the physical books, which is why I got the legendary bundle, for others it’s not.

jgsugden

Legend
What I said is 100%, inarguably, correct. It ain’t any kind of nitpick, bud... You don't get songs free on iTunes just because you purchased the CD years ago before iTunes was made..
You see, I'm confused because the article walks you through how to get your songs from your CDs into ITUNES FOR FREE. And I have thousands of songs on my ITUNES THAT I TOOK FROM CDS FOR FREE.

Regardless, I'm done with this discussion. And with certain people.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
You see, I'm confused because the article walks you through how to get your songs from your CDs into ITUNES FOR FREE. And I have thousands of songs on my ITUNES THAT I TOOK FROM CDS FOR FREE.

Not free. Also, not from iTunes. You paid (I assume) for the CD. Then you ripped the CD to iTunes. That's the point that was trying to be made.

G

Guest 6801328

You do not get anything from iTunes just because you bought a cd.

Sure you do. You get all kinds of cool functionality that you didn't have when all you had was the CD. You can mix the track into new playlists. You can give the CD some stars (or not) and have iTunes recommend more music.

You couldn't do any of that with just the CD, and it's all free.

doctorbadwolf

Not free. Also, not from iTunes. You paid (I assume) for the CD. Then you ripped the CD to iTunes. That's the point that was trying to be made.

It’s so weird to quote someone and then block them, especially when I literally wasn’t even rude to them or anything.

But, yeah, I think they misunderstood from the start what the argument was. I was stating (correctly) that DDB is the iTunes of dnd 5e content.

On either platform, the platform doesn’t give you anything for free (unless it’s made free from the copyright holder), but does allow you to add your own content that you own to the service, for your own personal use.

They kept replying as if I’m wrong, while literally describing the same thing I had already described.

I don’t get it.

Oh well, the point is, DDB doesn’t require you to purchase things you already own. It just requires you to pay if you want DDB to unlock that content for you, without you having to input it manually, and doesnt allow you to share copyrighted material via the homebrew system.

Iteration may well improve the model, but they’re doing the same thing the music industry did with iTunes.

Maybe someday wotc will go back to the Spotify model hey used with 4e’s ddI system, but for now we have iTunes.

Remove ads