Sorry Folks, I just can't get into 5e

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I love 5e. I still look for something better something different. Something old or new rules light or heavy. I would play any edition happily. If I am being honest I never used all the rules or used them correctly anyway(misread, unread or apathy). I really just go by feel. There are probably going to be players that cut their teeth on 5e that will love 1e if you don’t have a group now there’s hope.

I get it. I actually like 5E but not nearly as much as Basic. I don't think any edition has ever topped the Red Box, for me.

Fortunately, old school D&D is immensely popular, these days, and if you put some effort into it you can easily start up a game of your preference. I'm running / playing in 3 old school games now (and only one 5E game).

Maybe it depends on where you are, but Roll20 has tons of Basic/1E games available to join in on, and if you created your own game, you probably wouldn't have a hard time finding players.

One thing to remember, is that messageboards are usually filled with the more discerning / 'in the know' players, who seem to care most about edition differences. Most people who play D&D really don't care what edition you offer as long as they enjoy the game.

So offer to run B/X or 1E and drum up interest in your favorite games.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.
5E was playtested and designed to appeal to the widest base possible. While this means a lot of people are going to love it, there will always be people who do not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and you should not feel the need to apologize to internet strangers just because you don't fit the common mold.

Unlike others who might have just avoided 5E completely, you gave it a shot, and it doesn't suit you. It's cool. You can continue to play BECMI and AD&D, so long as you can find others interested. If you start to run out of players, you can also look into the Old School Renaissance (OSR) games that have come out. They are supposed to play much closer to AD&D, and being newer you might have a better chance of finding other players. Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!

5ekyu

Hero
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana
Ok.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I don't like okra.

Oh, I definitely believe it. One of the things I really like about 5e is how it shed 3rd and 4th edition's poorer innovations and kept the good stuff. And even 1st and 2nd's.
YMMV, but I feel pretty much the opposite. From my perspective, they ditched the good ideas (uniform class resources, flat math), and kept most of the bad ones (free healing, infinite magic).

Satyrn

First Post
YMMV, but I feel pretty much the opposite. From my perspective, they ditched the good ideas (uniform class resources, flat math), and kept most of the bad ones (free healing, infinite magic).

Yeah, I get it. That's how I feel about the Star Trek reboot.:heh:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana

Peace brother. You have a game you like, celebrate that. It's all good.

Thought if you do want to branch out, you might want to try a game not like D&D at all. See if you clike both football and swimming, instead of football and not-quite-football.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Well, in a large part, it is. It's still the same game at heart, but the changes are pretty massive (perhaps not as much as 3e or 4e in some respects, but still). Sorry the hame isn't for you.

That's called America, Karen. ;)

Time moves on with or without us. :/

If you're interested, there are quite a few retroclones of earlier versions of D&D that do a little house-cleaning, but work the same as {insert version of D&D you like here}.

Happy gaming to you, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Remove ads