D&D 5E 5e blog idea I can’t stop thinking about

Ry

Explorer
I have an idea that I just can’t leave alone or get out of my head, so I figure I need to blog about it. This is a baroque concept for a small audience, so I’m hoping that I can get some advice on where to post / what to do with it.

5e is this incredible engine for playing in so many fantasy worlds. But not all of those worlds use all of the core rules.

For example, some games come to a satisfying conclusion by level 10. Their DMs don't need to work out what happens in a world with Pit Fiends, reliable teleportation, true resurrection, and Wish in order to preserve verisimilitude. Then there’s the games where no one makes clerics, and time-strapped DMs can drastically simplify the gods. What I’m saying is entire game settings can be conceived with large swaths of rules stripped out. Games in those settings keep to their own internal logic.

Think of the rules are like layers of the onion. The whole onion is 5e, the version encoded in the 5E CC SRD. Then, each layer below that is a subset of D&D's rules, i.e. removing high levels, removing a certain class, and so on. As we go through these levels we find a slightly different universe that has different implicit assumptions.

The blog would be like performance art Grognardia; a history of the same 5e emerging from an alternate reality, where I can explore the games within the game, all of which share a tiny core. In that core, 1e was a game that just had rules to make one shot dungeons for first level fighters, and successive editions added levels, and classes, monsters, and spells until we got to 5e, which had everything. Settings for the different editions will vary dramatically.

At its heart the idea is a celebration of an open licensed 5e, because we can use all those subset games if we want to.

If this sounds crazy, that's okay. I'm primarily looking for advice on where I could put it so a few people could find it, rather than just firing it into the void.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I have an idea that I just can’t leave alone or get out of my head, so I figure I need to blog about it. This is a baroque concept for a small audience, so I’m hoping that I can get some advice on where to post / what to do with it .

5e is this incredible engine for playing in so many fantasy worlds. But not all of those worlds use all of the core rules.

For example, all some games come to a satisfying conclusion by level 10. Their DMs don't need to work out what happens in a world with Pit Fiends, reliable teleportation, true resurrection, and Wish in order to preserve verisimilitude. Then there’s the games where no one makes clerics, and time-strapped DMs can drastically simplify the gods. What I’m saying is entire game settings can be conceived with large swaths of rules stripped put. Games in those settings can have their own internal logic.

Think of the rules are like layers of the onion. The whole onion is 5e, the version encoded in the 5E CC SRD. Then, each layer below that is a subset of D&D's rules, i.e. removing high levels, removing a certain class, and so on. As we go through these levels we find a slightly different universe that has different implicit assumptions.

The blog would be like performance art Grognardia; a history of the same 5e emerging from an alternate reality, where I can explore the games within the game, all of which share a tiny core. In that core, 1e was a game that just had rules to make one shot dungeons for first level fighters, and successive editions added levels, and classes, monsters, and spells until we got to 5e, which had everything. Settings for the different editions will dramatically differ.

At its heart the idea is a celebration of an open licensed 5e; because can make and use all those subsets if we want to.

If this sounds crazy, that's okay. I'm primarily looking for advice on where I could put it so a few people could find it, rather than just firing it into the void.
Create a substack, then every time you post on your substack, post here, bluesky, X if you are on there

This is an idea that used to be more strongly encapsulated in D&D in the past. Games would progress from dungeon crawls and wilderness exploration to domain rulership. The 1e DMG has a ton of rules that would almost never get touched until the PCs started ruling a castle or kingdom. BECMI specifically added rules for warfare, tourneys, rulership, and immortality as the boxed sets progressed.

Remove ads