Sorry Folks, I just can't get into 5e

MPA2000

Explorer
I feel for you. Personally, for me it is frustrating because although I don't like aspects of 5E, there are parts of it I love. Others here might not believe it, given the nature of my posts and such LOL, but it is true. Was there anything in it you did like or find novel? Anything that if you move back into the familiar you can take with you to make other versions better for you? I know, even if I give up on 5E someday, it will influence how I run my 1E/2E hybrid that I and my players before have loved for so many years.

Please, give it some thought. If you read this, I am genuinely interested in your point of view and response.

I appreciate your thoughtful replay. I will definitely follow up once I gather my thoughts together.

MPA2000

Explorer
I get it. I actually like 5E but not nearly as much as Basic. I don't think any edition has ever topped the Red Box, for me.

Fortunately, old school D&D is immensely popular, these days, and if you put some effort into it you can easily start up a game of your preference. I'm running / playing in 3 old school games now (and only one 5E game).

Maybe it depends on where you are, but Roll20 has tons of Basic/1E games available to join in on, and if you created your own game, you probably wouldn't have a hard time finding players.

One thing to remember, is that messageboards are usually filled with the more discerning / 'in the know' players, who seem to care most about edition differences. Most people who play D&D really don't care what edition you offer as long as they enjoy the game.

So offer to run B/X or 1E and drum up interest in your favorite games.

Thank you!

I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.
So think of it like a different game. Final Fantasy V is ridiculously different from Final Fantasy I.
It doesn’t need to be the same game as Basic or AD&D as those games already exist.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Vinyl's made a comeback of sorts, so there's some hope for you.

So has old school dnd, in the form of the Old School Renaissance!

I don’t get it so hard it makes me feel like I’ve gone mad when I see people talking about how good it is, but it’s definitely, surreally, a thing!

GameOgre

Adventurer
So think of it like a different game. Final Fantasy V is ridiculously different from Final Fantasy I.
It doesn’t need to be the same game as Basic or AD&D as those games already exist.

This is what I did. When 5E first came out I was very disappointed.

I love B/X and thought 5E would have options to make it more of a advanced B/X but..it didn't.

Over time however I came to see it as it's own thing and not just a offshoot of my Favorite game but a totally separate game. Once that happened I could play it and run it as it's own thing and stop worrying about why it wasn't right on some issue.

I have loved tons of rpg's that were not D&D. You just need to learn editions for this game sometimes make it a whole different game and take THAT game on it's own merits.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Find the system that is right for your stories and your group;
or
Find the right stories for your group and their system;
or
Find the right group for your stories and your system.

It doesn't matter which choice you make and none of the choices need to be permanent.

Zardnaar

Legend
ENWorld also has a previous edition section of D&D and people will talk about AD&D/basic.

MPA2000 do you know that they cloned the older D&D's and that Gygax was involved with one of them?

Remove ads