The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Orius

Legend
Ooooh, the plot thickens! It felt like another character-driven episode, but then they drop the last 10 minutes on us. Yeah, it's one of the standard sci-fi plots, but they pulled it off pretty well. I'm guessing this is the something "big" that was teased at?

[Sblock]Man, this was really creepy. Isaac and the other Kaylons have their whole arrogant Data schtick going on, then then they all go Skynet at the end. Was the game Issac playing with the kids some sort of subtle foreshadowing? And then there was the way Isaac just casually threw away that picture. I was kind of bothered by the way Tye was just able to wander off the ship, but it did set up that reveal, so I can kind of let it slide for dramatic purposes. [/Sblock]

Am I the only one who got a Star Wars vibe from Kaylon? Not just the visuals, but the ominous music in the background as well.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Lol I just said Star Wars vibe to my wife. This is a good subversion maybe the Krill are not the villains. Music plus Attack of the Clones vibe with the ships departing.

One of the oldest tropes done very well. Best episode yet imho.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: the twist

At first, I was thinking they were Cybermen/Daleks, but they’re more Cylon or Borg. Either way...OOPS!

I wonder if the Union is going to get help from that out of phase planet where Isaac spent a billion years...

I also agree that the kid got off the ship and wandered around on Kaylon a LOT too easily, but it did move the plot along.

One thing is for sure: the writing staff are fans or at least good students of sci-fi in visual media.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Re: the twist

At first, I was thinking they were Cybermen/Daleks, but they’re more Cylon or Borg. Either way...OOPS!

I wonder if the Union is going to get help from that out of phase planet where Isaac spent a billion years...

I also agree that the kid got off the ship and wandered around on Kaylon a LOT too easily, but it did move the plot along.

One thing is for sure: the writing staff are fans or at least good students of sci-fi in visual media.

I think 1-2 of the writers worked on Trek.

In Stellaris terms they might be determined exterminators.

Ryujin

Legend
Did anyone else get the vibe that it wasn't actually Isaac that was involved? After all, they're all identical except for the lighting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its possible. Or maybe they did a factory reset to original specs.

Regardless, taking this kind of risk with a major supporting character is refreshing, to say the least!

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The face guns made me cringe, and I don't do that often. I'd rather forearm blasters or a shoulder gun. When they were landing I was picturing Dromand Kas from Star Wars The Old Republic. Funny how I thought about Cybermen when I saw them all walking around. Star Wars, Doctor Who, some of us are seeing the same influences.

Keeping the crew alive seems like a tactical error they would not make. They slaughtered their makers, which didn't surprise me. There had to be an egg before the chicken.

Remove ads