The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How far away was it? They said it was a long way, on the edge of Union space and out of comms range. But in terms of travel time it seemed like it took an hour or so to get there? If they move that fast, nowhere is remote, really.

Also, this story would have been best used as a season ending cliff-hanger, not a mid-season episode. When ST:TNG had its season 3 "Best of Both Worlds, Part 1", fans could not wait for season 4's "Best of Both Worlds, Part 2". I think this is an error on the part of the producers/writers.
It is still a science fiction show on Fox. They are in constant danger of being cancelled. They probably didn't want to end on a cliffhanger...

CapnZapp

Legend
I noticed as well - they said it was a long distance... and then they were there.

That aspect would have needed a build-up phase to work. Show, don't tell, you know?

Still, it didn't actually bother me. Okay so they decided they didn't want to focus on the journey so they simply told us. I'll respect that, given what they did have was actually interesting.

And unless the length of return journey actually matters in part 2, I really won't hold it against them...

Ryujin

Legend
I noticed as well - they said it was a long distance... and then they were there.

That aspect would have needed a build-up phase to work. Show, don't tell, you know?

Still, it didn't actually bother me. Okay so they decided they didn't want to focus on the journey so they simply told us. I'll respect that, given what they did have was actually interesting.

And unless the length of return journey actually matters in part 2, I really won't hold it against them...

I don't think that I've ever seen a good way to represent a month of uneventful travel, without taking a fairly large chunk of an hour-long episode of TV to show it. Better to just drop a line like, "Wow, that was boring" and move on I think.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How far away was it? They said it was a long way, on the edge of Union space and out of comms range. But in terms of travel time it seemed like it took an hour or so to get there? If they move that fast, nowhere is remote, really.

Isaac says he was out of commission for "30 cycles" or the like - I'm going to guess that a cycle is like an hour, not a day. They just elided over what was basically a day of travel as fast as they can. A month makes little sense - they don't know Isaac's condition, and probably aren't going to expect that he can be reactivated after being dead for a month. Especially without saying something about it.

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Union to be considering them for membership if they are a month's travel away. An ally who can't support you, and who you cannot support, for over a month isn't a terribly useful ally.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Isaac says he was out of commission for "30 cycles" or the like - they just elided over what was basically a day of travel.

Which, if I turn that into something more real-world. I live in Boston. 30 hours driving flat out no traffic might put me... not all the way to Denver, Colorado.

Do we know that a cycle is an hour? I figured a cycle was a day and the travel time was a month.

I loved this episode. Best one yet in my opinion. I hope it concludes with as much quality as it began.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Do we know that a cycle is an hour? I figured a cycle was a day and the travel time was a month.

I added a bit - I don't think it makes sense for the Union to be courting a single planet a month's travel outside their borders.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I added a bit - I don't think it makes sense for the Union to be courting a single planet a month's travel outside their borders.

It makes sense to me. I don't think they said it was that far out of their territory, only that they would be too far away from the home world to communicate. The area of the alliance could be large enough that when on one end you cannot communicate with the other. Further, the Kaylon's(not sure if I spelled that correctly) are a very advanced race and would be a great addition to the alliance, regardless of distance.

Remove ads