D&D 5E Round out our group!

Xefenthal

First Post
Thanks. As I mentioned, it’s been a looong time since we played. Dec based Wood Elf Paladin or Fighter wielding two short swords sounds kinda neat as a plan B

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know it's not conventional but if I'm the only one moving slow and clanging around while everyone else has stealth or wearing bathrobes it might be a problem.

Moving slow: Armor doesn't really impact your movement speed, so long as you have the strength to wear it.

Clanging Around: The question isn't really what armor they are wearing. The question is whether they have Stealth. Heavy armor gives disadvantage on the check, but really, a character who doesn't have the skill is not quiet enough to reliably sneak around anyway.

Note - heavy armor has its disadvantages, but it has one advantage - you can let your dex slide a little bit, and have higher scores in whatever other stats you need.

Ashrym

Legend
Thanks. As I mentioned, it’s been a looong time since we played. Dec based Wood Elf Paladin or Fighter wielding two short swords sounds kinda neat as a plan B

Archery battle master for a dex fighter can be a blast. Several of the BM maneuvers do not require melee.

Looking at the OP, I would have thought Paladin or Cleric as the obvious options. You don't need CHA for a face because the proficiency bonus is similar while expertise with no CHA bonus will be similar to prof plus cha bonus. 5e doesn't do the big numbers skill hamster wheel 3e and 4e did.

Bards are so flexible in how they can be built that they are an automatic consideration to rounding out any party.

It's also okay to duplicate a class. There are enough decision points to build many classes differently.

The tangent on in combat healing is also good to consider. In combat healing can be like a dog chasing it's tale. It gies nowhere and all the caster does is run out of resources getting there. In combat healing is what happens when things go south. Out of combat healing is more efficient while in combat damage mitigation is more effective.

Having said that, it's nice to have some solid in combat healkng for when things do go south. Clerics and bards built for it are the best resources there. Other classes do have some decent abilities.

Good luck. Hope that helps and wecome back to the game. :)

Remove ads