D&D 5E 5E - Help with Celestial Warlock build (cantrips)

SlackBadger

First Post
I'm starting a new campaign tomorrow and I'm a little torn on my cantrip selection. Half-Drow Urchin Celestial Warlock, I want to be a sneaky combat medic, not too concerned about DPS.

Right now my cantrip selection is:

Dancing Lights - Drow Magic

Friends - (Taking Mask of Many Faces @ 2nd)

Green-Flame Blade (really not sure about his one)

Light - pact

Sacred Flame - pact

Question is, should I even bother with Green-Flame Blade? I don't technically need it if forced into melee, as I can just use Sacred Flame, though I suppose it would be nice if we are fighting hordes of kobolds or goblins.

I'm wondering if I should replace it with Mage Hand, Create Bonfire, or EB? If I take EB I don't have a free invocation slot for AB until level 7, so that seems a waste when I already have a ranged cantrip. I'm leaning towards possibly replaced GFB with Mage Hand, but....... we'll looking for any advice. For that matter I'll have to choose a new cantrip at level 4, so any advice on that also would be appreciated.

If my leveled spells matter, here is what I envision having at level 5. Really focusing on the sneaky support angle.

Cure Light Wounds

Faerie Fire 1/LR

Invisibility

Mirror Image

Suggestion

Darkness 1/LR

Cause Fear

Can't decide on last 3rd level spell, Revivify seems awesome, but I have to imagine that any battle where I need to rez folks is a battle I've already burned through both my slots, unless I play that I always hold onto a slot, which seems very limiting.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
Do you have an attack-caliber Strength of Dexterity? The Green-flame Blade attack is made using your weapon, and that weapon attack won't be using your Charisma. I would only take GFB if you have at least 14 in Strength or Dex.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
You know what's still good without AB?...... Eldritch Blast!

Except the Celestial Warlock gains the Radiant Soul ability at 6th level, which allows them to add their CHA modifier to radiant and fire damage from spells. Basically a free "Agonizing Blast" for radiant/fire spells. That potentially pushes cantrips like Sacred Flame, Green Flame Blade, or Fire Bolt (if you have a way to get it) ahead of an unmodified Eldritch Blast.

FullCaster

First Post
Except the Celestial Warlock gains the Radiant Soul ability at 6th level, which allows them to add their CHA modifier to radiant and fire damage from spells. Basically a free "Agonizing Blast" for radiant/fire spells. That potentially pushes cantrips like Sacred Flame, Green Flame Blade, or Fire Bolt (if you have a way to get it) ahead of an unmodified Eldritch Blast.

EB and SF target different defenses. There will be situations where you encounter monsters with higher dex saves and EB against them would have a higher chance to hit.

Remove ads