Artificer UA to be released in February

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Follow-up question: does this apply if other posters are clearly wrong, and probably corporate shills?

I mean, in that case, they’re just trying to make damn living, ya know?

Don’t be mean to workin folks just doing what they can to survive in this late capitalist hellscape, am I right? :D

Autumn Bask

Villager
Explain to me why I should care about maximizing corporate profit.

I am not a shareholder. I am a hobbyist and a fan.

The notion that us fans should self-censor just because our ideas might not align with corporate profit is completely alien to me.

Have a good day.

You shouldn't, nor did I even remotely imply that. However, if you are going to speculate about the motives of a company, which you are doing by calling WotC's release strategy "lazy", you need to understand profit-motive.

In other words, I'm not saying that you need to prioritize WotC's profit in your complaints about their business tactics, but you do need to understand at least the basics of how they make money before you make statements like:

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

And you would know that this was my intent if you actually read my post like it was written by a human being, who is trying to come to some understanding with you, rather than dismissing me as some sort of brainwashed capitalist trying to attack you.

Like... what I was saying was really simple. Sure it was a bit long, but it basically comes down to "know what you're talking", and you're talking about a business. Don't mistake people explaining something to you as them trying to "get you on the side of the corporations".

That's literally the last thing I would ever want to do. I'm very anti-corporate and anti-profit motive, but that's exactly why I'm defending WotC's methods. Because, from what I can tell, they are prioritizing the longevity of their game and genuinely care about only publishing high quality materials. (That section in Xanathar's, This is Your Life, is absolutely amazing.)

There is a difference between being overcautious and being lazy. My argument is that this "dearth of crunch" is a result of the former rather than the latter.

And in order to justify this claim, I explained why WotC might want to be cautious, as well as why your explanation, "laziness", doesn't make sense in the context of their actions.

I'm just trying to help you point your finger at the actual cause of your problem.

(If you're wondering why I bolded things, I figured it might help you with your reading comprehension.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You shouldn't, nor did I even remotely imply that. However, if you are going to speculate about the motives of a company, which you are doing by calling WotC's release strategy "lazy", you need to understand profit-motive.

In other words, I'm not saying that you need to prioritize WotC's profit in your complaints about their business tactics, but you do need to understand at least the basics of how they make money before you make statements like:

And you would know that this was my intent if you actually read my post like it was written by a human being, who is trying to come to some understanding with you, rather than dismissing me as some sort of brainwashed capitalist trying to attack you.

Like... what I was saying was really simple. Sure it was a bit long, but it basically comes down to "know what you're talking", and you're talking about a business. Don't mistake people explaining something to you as them trying to "get you on the side of the corporations".

That's literally the last thing I would ever want to do. I'm very anti-corporate and anti-profit motive, but that's exactly why I'm defending WotC's methods. Because, from what I can tell, they are prioritizing the longevity of their game and genuinely care about only publishing high quality materials. (That section in Xanathar's, This is Your Life, is absolutely amazing.)

There is a difference between being overcautious and being lazy. My argument is that this "dearth of crunch" is a result of the former rather than the latter.

And in order to justify this claim, I explained why WotC might want to be cautious, as well as why your explanation, "laziness", doesn't make sense in the context of their actions.

I'm just trying to help you point your finger at the actual cause of your problem.

(If you're wondering why I bolded things, I figured it might help you with your reading comprehension.)

The thing about profit as a motivator, is that it can be pursued wisely or unwisely. Making a quick buck is unwise, as it is not sustainable. Carefully cultivating a culture that produces long-term profits is difficult, the opposite of lazy, as you say.

cmad1977

Hero
It surprises me that the people least capable of running their game or challenging their players (Monsters are weak/boring!, GWM an SS are teh OP! Designers are lazy!) are the same ones that clamor for more options. Start getting a handle on the simple rules before asking for more stuff.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
yes, of course, as repeteadly said on these forums by various persons, I'm a greedy shark, exactly as the other dmsguild authors who funnel thousands of dollars into wotc pockets every day, developing stuff for settings, like FR or Ravenloft, which wotc did not create in the first place.

That's not what I meant or what I asked at all. You'll note there's nothing in my post disparaging you if your motivation for them to open up the campaign settings was profit driven on your end, and there's also nothing wrong in that.
But I hope you can see and appreciate why there's such a disconnect between your stance and the opinions of others.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Remember when people thought D&D was probably dead?

Shame on WotC for bringing D&D from the brink of death to revitalizing RPGs and making 5e the most popular RPG ever.

If D&D were dead we'd all be happy that they aren't making any money right?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases