Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Again:

The fact there is no law or moral imperative to do this, does not in any way shape or form diminish our ability and right to complain about an obvious dearth of material.

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

Luckily that is not the case.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

Like this one.

WotC doesn't read this forum: if you want to interact with them, try Twitter.

If the "dearth of material" was "obvious," that might be one thing: many of us are satisfied with what is on offer. We are not stooges, but happy customers. WotC is not on life support, they are being careful and considerate with releases.

D

DQDesign

WotC is not on life support, they are being careful and considerate with releases.

repeatedly teasing at classic campaign settings and then publishing 'seasickness handbook' is neither careful nor considerate. it is just disrespectful towards fan of those settings who are waiting for their official 5E upgrades.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
repeatedly teasing at classic campaign settings and then publishing 'seasickness handbook' is neither careful nor considerate. it is just disrespectful towards fan of those settings who are waiting for their official 5E upgrades.

Dude, it is a game companies publishing schedule. "Disrespect" is a strong word for "not publishing everything all at once." They have years to work with, no need to be hasty, harrooom.

D

DQDesign

Dude, it is a game companies publishing schedule. "Disrespect" is a strong word for "not publishing everything all at once." They have years to work with, no need to be hasty, harrooom.

is it so difficult to understand that I care nothing about how much and when they publish what?

the problem, for me, is the approach.

wanna publish 'seasickness handbook'? that's fine, announce it within a reasonable time period, state clearly which the contents will be and strive to respect the deadline. you managed to do that? fine! you don't? apologize with the customers and go on.

the company which is so lucky to manage something amazing like the dnd brand has no need at all of pointlessly teasing the customers or forbidding the amateur development of things in which they are clearly not interested at all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
is it so difficult to understand that I care nothing about how much and when they publish what?

wanna publish 'seasickness handbook'? that's fine, announce it within a reasonable time period, state clearly which the contents will be and strive to respect the deadline. you managed to do that? fine! you don't? apologize with the customers and go on.

the company which is so lucky to manage something amazing like the dnd brand has no need at all of pointlessly teasing the customers or forbidding the amateur development of things in which they are clearly not interested at all.

You are awfully worked up about a topic you care nothing about.

They announce books within a specific window of release, to focus hype and advertising. Given that I am still focused on the next release continuously since 2014, it's worked for me at least.

Just because they do not publish something right now, doesn't mean they have no interest in publishing it in due time. Far from not allowing amateur publishing of D&D IP< they have bent over backwards to facilitate it.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer

Based on your stance and repeated posts throughout these forums, is your insistence to opening up the other campaign settings Wizards has under its belt primarily motivated by the ability to generate profit off of them?

D

DQDesign

Based on your stance and repeated posts throughout these forums, is your insistence to opening up the other campaign settings Wizards has under its belt primarily motivated by the ability to generate profit off of them?
yes, of course, as repeteadly said on these forums by various persons, I'm a greedy shark, exactly as the other dmsguild authors who funnel thousands of dollars into wotc pockets every day, developing stuff for settings, like FR or Ravenloft, which wotc did not create in the first place.

Autumn Bask

Villager
Again:

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

Luckily that is not the case.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

WotC makes money by selling printed material. Hopefully for more money than it takes to employ their staff, otherwise they would be running at a loss, and it would be a miracle that they are supporting this game at all. (I'm going to assume this is not the case.)

So please, explain to me how a dearth of new material is beneficial to their business, beyond maintaining the integrity of their game? How would this strategy allow hobby companies to print money?

If we can assume that the books they publish net them a positive profit (which, if they didn't, they wouldn't make them at all), why is it greedy and lazy for them to heavily stagnate their releases, especially when they're still releasing free content like the UAs and Planeshifts. Why not just print a book with those materials in it?

If there is a demand for Artificer, which there clearly is, and WotC is lazy, why aren't they just rushing out a scrapped-together book with an Artificer in it for easy sales?

I think, as I stated in my previous post (and I'd still like to hear your response to that one), that the reason they're not doing this is because they care about maintaining the lifespan and accessibility of this system, and are cautious about introducing increased complexity and possibly destabilizing the system through an excess of additional crunch.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Until Wizards officially announces a product and then cancels it... there is absolutely nothing they need to apologize for.

People hanging their hats on casual conversation and not getting what they want have no leg to stand on. You're following them through Twitter and streaming and interviews because you're going out looking for info-- info they have not officially deigned to announce. If you then get all upset because they aren't producing the things they haven't announced yet, that's on you.

Don't go looking for secret info and you can then be happy when you just receive the official announcements. Because then you know you are getting what you are being told. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads