• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Satyrn

First Post
So, like, if I'm a shill like Zapp suggests, why hasn't WotC paid me yet? I bet they haven't paid the other shills here, either.

Oh! I should take them to court. I'll even make it a class-action suit.

dave2008

Legend
moreover, remember that wotc takes 50% of every penny gained on dmsguild, so their are not helping only authors making money, they are helping themselves a lot.
General idea is correct, but the OBS gets some of that money. I believe they typically get 40% of the sale of something sold on one of their sites, though I bet WotC negotiated for more than 10%. Regardless, a good chunk still probably goes to OBS and not WotC.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think there is a good reason for a return of Spelljammer: Hasbro toys. In the right hands it can be a blockbuster like the reboot of "My little centauress: cuteness is magic".

Mystara is also "Red Steel" and "Hollow World", but also the setting for the famous 90's arcade of D&D. A good agreement with Capcom and.. voilá!

A completely new toy line for a brand that has never had a toy line before aimed at a generation that has no idea what it is, and a 20 year old arcade game. And because of that they should open up Spelljammer and Mystara to the tabletop players.

I thought you said a good reason? ;)

Satyrn

First Post
A completely new toy line for a brand that has never had a toy line before aimed at a generation that has no idea what it is, and a 20 year old arcade game. And because of that they should open up Spelljammer and Mystara to the tabletop players.

I thought you said a good reason? ;)

Giant. Space. Hamster.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you aren't just trolling, and really believe five years between class additions is a reasonable development span, boy are you out of touch.

Where is the evidence that what you want is a well shared view? You're saying he is the one out of touch, but I have seen no evidence of that. It's seems from EnWorld responses you've gotten for years that opposite is true - it might be you who might be out of touch. Have you considered that possibility?

Autumn Bask

Villager
And look and behold, that's not what I'm asking for.

Most new subclasses are lazy rehashes of where exactly you gain Advantage.

I'm talking about new classes. This thread is about a new class.

Your post is irrelevant and likely meant only to dismiss my credibility.

Subclasses are actually a very important aspect of 5e's design, and they are not irrelevant to this discussion, because they are precisely why you and I won't be seeing many new additional classes. See things like Favored Soul/Divine Soul and Horizon Walker, which were their own class and prestige class respectively back in 3.5, as well as two classes I really liked and wanted to see introduced. And they were; not in the way I expected, but in a way that I am fairly satisfied with, because it wasn't the mechanics of those classes I cared about, but the flavor.

The use of subclasses over new classes and prestige classes is twofold from a design and balance perspective. Firstly, and most simply, it tempers the potential of multiclass cheese because you can't be a Champion and a Battle Master, nor an Assassin and a Swashbuckler.

However, secondly and far more importantly, it maintains the accessibility of the game while still providing a wide assortment of options. A Moon Druid will play different from a Land Druid who will play different from a Shepard Druid who will play different from a Spores Druid.

The same goes for Lore, Valor, Glamour, and Whisper Bards. The only subclasses that "rehash where you gain Advantage" are the Rogue subclasses, and that's because the key feature of Rogue procs on Advantage, so that does drastically impact how they can behave in-combat.

And the reason this maintains accessibility is that once a player understands the core mechanics and features of a specific class, they only need to learn a few alterations in order to understand how each of its subclasses will be played. It should be obvious that WotC sees subclasses as a sort of "soft replacement" for traditional classes, especially given that the first Artificer UA had it as a Wizard subclass.

WotC is being cautious, and maybe--with regards to your concerns--overcautious (maybe even a bit scared). But you keep using the word "lazy", and that's not how companies work. A tempered and careful approach to releasing new marketable content is not what laziness looks like; it would literally be the opposite.

More importantly, you need to stop assuming that everyone who disagrees with you is either being dishonest or intellectually bankrupt. I am being completely genuine when I say that I love the subclass system and think it's a positive thing for the continued growth and expansion of 5e.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What I especially oppose is the notion that as a fan of a game, I'm only allowed to have wants and needs that align perfectly with maximizing company profits.

I agree! That would be pretty lame.

Good old thing literally no one is positing any such notion!

But hey, straw men make great target practice, right?

CapnZapp

Legend
Another view point is that they aren’t obligated to do so, ever, and any new class that does come out is a bonus.
Again:

The fact there is no law or moral imperative to do this, does not in any way shape or form diminish our ability and right to complain about an obvious dearth of material.

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

Luckily that is not the case.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

Like this one.

Remove ads

Remove ads