Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Until Wizards officially announces a product and then cancels it... there is absolutely nothing they need to apologize for.

People hanging their hats on casual conversation and not getting what they want have no leg to stand on. You're following them through Twitter and streaming and interviews because you're going out looking for info-- info they have not officially deigned to announce. If you then get all upset because they aren't producing the things they haven't announced yet, that's on you.

Don't go looking for secret info and you can then be happy when you just receive the official announcements. Because then you know you are getting what you are being told. :)

They have been ridiculously good about this since after 4E ended: underpromise (if not no-promise) and overdeliver.

Wizards used to be terrible about announcing and cancelling products, and overshared all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
repeatedly teasing at classic campaign settings and then publishing 'seasickness handbook' is neither careful nor considerate. it is just disrespectful towards fan of those settings who are waiting for their official 5E upgrades.

What a farce!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Again:

The fact there is no law or moral imperative to do this, does not in any way shape or form diminish our ability and right to complain about an obvious dearth of material.

Nobody has ever, in the history of this message board, ever once even vaguely hinted for a moment that you do not have the "right" to complain about this topic.

Many however have said they disagree with your opinion on this topic. A fact which you seem to struggle with.

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

Your characterization of his dissenting opinion from yours as "riduclous" is itself ridiculous. I say again, the evidence you've received on this message board concerning this opinion of yours is that your view is NOT WELL SHARED. The overwhelming majority of responses you've gotten on this topic is disagreement with your view. There is nothing inherantly wrong with you having a view that is not well shared, however your constnt characterization of that contrary majority view as "ridiculous" and other perjoratives is what people object to.

Luckily that is not the case.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

Like this one.

From you, and almost only you. The number of people who share your view are such a small fraction of the number of views expressed on this message board about this topic that every time you raise this view and go off like this, the only rational message it would send to WOTC (if they were reading any of this - which they are not) is that they're doing the right thing. Because your view is so not well shared here. All you're doing by behaving this way is sending up a red flare for them to see all the people who disagree with you, who deeply outnumber those who agree with you. It's almost like you're engaging in a false flag. If you actually loved the way WOTC had behaved so far, and you wanted to send that message to WOTC, I suppose one way to do it would be to do what you've been doing - behave so outrageously the other direction that you get people to post their disagreement where they otherwise might have remained silent.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody has ever, in the history of this message board, ever once even vaguely hinted for a moment that you do not have the "right" to complain about this topic.

Many however have said they disagree with your opinion on this topic. A fact which you seem to struggle with.

Your characterization of his dissenting opinion from yours as "riduclous" is itself ridiculous. I say again, the evidence you've received on this message board concerning this opinion of yours is that your view is NOT WELL SHARED. The overwhelming majority of responses you've gotten on this topic is disagreement with your view. There is nothing inherantly wrong with you having a view that is not well shared, however your constnt characterization of that contrary majority view as "ridiculous" and other perjoratives is what people object to.

From you, and almost only you. The number of people who share your view are such a small fraction of the number of views expressed on this message board about this topic that every time you raise this view and go off like this, the only rational message it would send to WOTC (if they were reading any of this - which they are not) is that they're doing the right thing. Because your view is so not well shared here. All you're doing by behaving this way is sending up a red flare for them to see all the people who disagree with you, who deeply outnumber those who agree with you. It's almost like you're engaging in a false flag. If you actually loved the way WOTC had behaved so far, and you wanted to send that message to WOTC, I suppose one way to do it would be to do what you've been doing - behave so outrageously the other direction that you get people to post their disagreement where they otherwise might have remained silent.

This sort of calm and rational post based in reality would only be written by a COMPELTE SELL-OUT CORPORATE SHILL.

REPENT, O SINNER, REPENT!!!

CapnZapp

Legend
So please, explain to me how a dearth of new material is beneficial to their business, beyond maintaining the integrity of their game?
Explain to me why I should care about maximizing corporate profit.

I am not a shareholder. I am a hobbyist and a fan.

The notion that us fans should self-censor just because our ideas might not align with corporate profit is completely alien to me.

Have a good day.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The notion that us fans should self-censor just because our ideas might not align with corporate profit is completely alien to me.

Have a good day.

You are the one making ethical claims: "should, "ought" etc.

The only ethical obligation WotC has in regards to product scheduling and development is to their shareholders. In general, this will align with making fans happy anyways, as it has these past many years. They have no moral obligation to reach a rules quota, unless that is what would be good for shareholders because of hobbyist interest. Apparently, it is not.

And folks here aren't self-censoring: we like what is happening, and are voicing disagreement with your opinion.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Maybe CapnZapp just is feeling the love from Valentine's Day and wanted to show us all some love.

How do I figure you ask?

Well every time he does this of course we respond telling him that we disagree. And every time we disagree with him, we all get lots of XP from others who agree with our dissenting views.

Maybe he just wanted to stealthly do something to get people to share the love.

And if that is the case, well played Capn. Well played. And thank you. What a nice Valentine's Day gift.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe CapnZapp just is feeling the love from Valentine's Day and wanted to show us all some love.

How do I figure you ask?

Well every time he does this of course we respond telling him that we disagree. And every time we disagree with him, we all get lots of XP from others who agree with our dissenting views.

Maybe he just wanted to stealthly do something to get people to share the love.

And if that is the case, well played Capn. Well played. And thank you. What a nice Valentine's Day gift.

Nah, Capn Zapp is just fulfilling his role of being the True Defender of the Orthodox Hobby. Zappius contra forum!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Again:

The fact there is no law or moral imperative to do this, does not in any way shape or form diminish our ability and right to complain about an obvious dearth of material.
We literally all agree on that. Why do you keep propping up this fake stance in order to knock it down?

If all fans were as ridiculously understanding as you seem to be, life would be good for corporate strategists, since hobby products would be like printing money.

Luckily that is not the case.

If WotC saves on staff by publishing only as little new crunch as they can possibly get away with, they will keep hearing about it in public forums.

Like this one.

Why do you keep belittling the stance of people who disagree with you? Why is it difficult for you to deal with the fact that your opinion on this isn't shared by everyone else? It's genuinely getting a bit concerning.

I literally go on twitter and criticize/challenge wotc in general, and Mearls and Crawford in particular, on a semi-regular basis. I simply disagree with every part of your complaint about the pace or release for 5e products.

WotC doesn't read this forum: if you want to interact with them, try Twitter.

If the "dearth of material" was "obvious," that might be one thing: many of us are satisfied with what is on offer. We are not stooges, but happy customers. WotC is not on life support, they are being careful and considerate with releases.

Wotc/5e is in fact doing better than DnD has ever done before, in the entire life of the game. In a hobby industry that relies entirely on customer satisfaction (this ain't Del Taco; folks aren't buying PHBs because they have to have some kind of game product and the 5e PHB is the cheapest and most convenient option), that means that people are overwhelmingly happy with 5e as a product line.

The whole damn hobby ain't "shills", or sheeple, or whatever nonsense.

repeatedly teasing at classic campaign settings and then publishing 'seasickness handbook' is neither careful nor considerate. it is just disrespectful towards fan of those settings who are waiting for their official 5E upgrades.

Or, get this, they see more demand for a seafaring adventure and potentially a player-facing product to support it, than they do for literally any setting.

Seriously, Eberron and Planescape are the two most popular settings after FR, which itself is far behind homebrew settings, and those are being supported. (the 5e core assumes Planescape as the basic cosmology of DnD)

They have been ridiculously good about this since after 4E ended: underpromise (if not no-promise) and overdeliver.

Wizards used to be terrible about announcing and cancelling products, and overshared all the time.

Yeah, seriously, they have been quite transparent, and reliable ever since late 4e. I love 4e, I miss getting new 4e stuff, I wish 5e was even more like 4e than it is. I wish 5e was basically 4e with simpler math, better support for simpler gameplay, and some of the cool innovations of 5e.

But the release schedule? Yeah, I'm entirely in support of them taking as long as it takes to make any given thing. If that means another year before I can use an official artificer, then that's disappointing, but not something I'm going to mad about.

Because here's the thing. 4e was very well balanced, all things considered. Even the "gulf" betwixt the PHB Twin Striking Elf Ranger and an Essentials Blackguard just isn't THAT great. But options were put out for 4e that just didn't work until errata came out for them. The Warlock ended up needing a massive overhaul that changed the numerical output of most of it's powers, and it's Curse class feature. Pages of "tax" options were put out to patch things they didn't want to errata (like the assassin, which was weird, because it would have taken less work to just fix the math of the assassin's powers).

In many ways, it was a mess, and the reason that it was a mess was directly and unavoidably because they put out so many products so quickly.

This position you are railing against literally only exists in your counter-arguments. No one has ever upheld such a position. Ever.

I don't care about maximizing profits. The person you are responding to probably doesn't either. They certainly didn't indicate that they do, in any way.

What people are indicating to you, is that in an industry where not a single customer ever needs the product, record breaking sales/profits probably indicates overwhelming satisfaction with the way things are going, and you should probably at least admit to yourself that you are yelling into the void, because there is absolutely no reasons whatsoever for wotc to do what you want them to do.

They aren't being lazy, they are putting more work into each page of new material instead of putting the same amount of work into more pages of material.

They aren't being greedy, they are holding themselves back and trying to foster a sustainable model for DnD publication.

We aren't "fanboys" propping up some "one true way", we simply agree with a production model that gives us early preview access to new material, often with multiple rounds of playtest, and plenty of opportunity to provide feedback in several formats and venues, before a new thing is released.

I wish they would do the same thing with the new lore they put out, as I frankly think that Morty's Fome of Toes is pretty terrible in terms of lore, albeit quite valuable mechanically. It that meant an even slower release schedule, that would be 100% worth it, to have a better product when it is released. Other people here, I'm sure, prefer to have a lot of mystery and surprises when they get their hands on the new books, and would perceive a loss in value if we knew most of the new lore before the book came out. I absolutely respect that opposing view, and if they vastly outnumber me, I'm not going to constantly spam every damn thread I see that in any way interacts with that disagreement with my complaints about how any argument against my position is ridiculous.

Just like...try to be respectful of your fellow posters, for crap's sake! It's literally the bare minimum of good behavior.

Remove ads

Remove ads