Wizard vs. Sorcerer

• Thread starter WhosDaDungeonMaster
  • Start date
W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

So, a player asked me today in what way is a Wizard at all better than a Sorcerer. Since we are just beginning 5E, I have one player as a Sorcerer, but no one has played a Wizard yet. In looking over the classes, all I could suggest was the larger spell list for the Wizard. Any other big ticket things I am missing???

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Ritual casting that does not requires to have the spell prepared is very cool. Also, some schools have ''built-in'' metamagic-like abilities (twinned enchantment, shaped evocation etc).

GlassJaw

Hero
A LOT more available spells and generally better subclasses.

Sorcerers have the potential to cast more per long rest but with Ritual Casting, that can be mitigated. Sorcs can deal a bit more damage with Empower Spell.

I'm definitely in the camp that 5E Sorcerers are poorly designed when compared to the Wizard and Warlock. I would choose Wizard or Warlock over Sorcerer every time in 5E.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

The ritual casting from spell book is a nice feature, but with so few spells having the ritual tag it isn't a big thing IMO.

Arcane Recovery is not much compared to using Sorcerer points as you can use them to recover spell slots as well.

The increased spell list is good, but since players often pick their favorites I don't see that being big either. I'll spend more time reviewing the lists later.

I've never been impressed with any of the Wizard subclasses other than War Magic personally.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'll keep looking into the comparison.

GlassJaw

Hero
The ritual casting from spell book is a nice feature, but with so few spells having the ritual tag it isn't a big thing IMO.

But the ones that have it are useful and it's great you don't have to use up a known spell for them. A sorcerer is never going to take Detect Magic or Alarm but they are very handy.

Arcane Recovery is not much compared to using Sorcerer points as you can use them to recover spell slots as well.

It's about the same actually, and a Wizard can do it once per short rest versus a long rest for a Sorcerer to get their spell points back.

The increased spell list is good, but since players often pick their favorites I don't see that being big either. I'll spend more time reviewing the lists later.

I think you under-estimate the versatility.

I've never been impressed with any of the Wizard subclasses other than War Magic personally.

And you like the Sorcerer subclasses? The ones in the PHB are terrible. Shadow Magic and Storm Sorcery from XGtE are decent. Abjuration and Divination for the Wizard are amazing and Conjuration, Evocation, and Transmutation are good. Even the others are workable.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Ritual casting that does not requires to have the spell prepared is very cool. Also, some schools have ''built-in'' metamagic-like abilities (twinned enchantment, shaped evocation etc).

I checked one site, and I guess there are only about 20 (or a bit less) Ritual spells for Wizards, out of over 200 spells-- so, less than 10%. Honestly, I LOVE the concept, but there just aren't enough to really make it a major factor IMO.

Although some of the metamagic-like abilities of the schools are there, each has only one ability as were a Sorcerer will know four by Tier 4 of play.

Shiroiken

Legend
Sorcerers are generally consider more fun to play (at least IME). They have lots of cool abilities, and can either cast more spells per day by converting sorcery points, or they get more bang for their buck for the ones they cast. It's flashy, but once they expend those sorcery points (or burn spell slots for more points for meta-magic), they quickly run out of steam.

A Wizard can ritual cast a lot of spells, even without preparing them. They can have a huge number of spells to choose from when preparing spells (not as much as Cleric and Druid, but still), allowing them a great deal of flexibility. They have a ridiculous variety of sub-classes (some of which are better than others), allowing for greater customization. They aren't flashy, but they're consistent.

Both have advantages, and really it comes down to style preference. I prefer the wizard, but most of my group likes the sorcerer more. My Gnome War Mage always seems to have the right spell for the right occasion, but my Aasimar Divine Soul can hammer out either healing or damage with careful use of Twinned Spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases