Hexsorcadin 6/1/13 vs Sorcadin 6/14 - is SAD worth it?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can I have one more question?: What spells would you all recommend picking up as Divine Sorcerer from both spell lists?

Also, what do you think about feat: Elemental Adept (fire)?

This allows me to ignore fire elemental resistance of enemies so I could use my fireball, scorching ray or GFB more reliable. But I don't know if this is worth over Shield Master or RES (CON) or Inspiring Leader later.

Approach it this way: what spells Do you have access to from your paladin list? What spells do you have prepared from that list. Usually that covers most of the early cleric spells I’d want with a divine soul sorcerer. Once those are identified I think we can have a better idea about what gaps your sorcerer spells need to be.

Also, are you interested in having spells for the exploration and social pillars or just for combat?

Benny89

First Post
Approach it this way: what spells Do you have access to from your paladin list? What spells do you have prepared from that list. Usually that covers most of the early cleric spells I’d want with a divine soul sorcerer. Once those are identified I think we can have a better idea about what gaps your sorcerer spells need to be.

Also, are you interested in having spells for the exploration and social pillars or just for combat?

Mostly combat and CC, because I have another party member who likes to lead in social pillars so I don't want to get in a way too much. But I know that things like Suggestion and Mass Suggestion are great in both CC and social.

FrogReaver

Mostly combat and CC, because I have another party member who likes to lead in social pillars so I don't want to get in a way too much. But I know that things like Suggestion and Mass Suggestion are great in both CC and social.

So you can prepare at most 8 paladin spells from level 1 and 2 spells. This shouldn’t be difficult because after the first 4 or 5 the options become lackluster.

I’d assume
Bless
Cure wounds
Find steed
Wrathful smite
Command
Maybe heroism.

I think that’s the important ones.

That frees up alotnof the divine soul spells

Benny89

First Post
So you can prepare at most 8 paladin spells from level 1 and 2 spells. This shouldn’t be difficult because after the first 4 or 5 the options become lackluster.

I’d assume
Bless
Cure wounds
Find steed
Wrathful smite
Command
Maybe heroism.

I think that’s the important ones.

That frees up alotnof the divine soul spells

Thanks. Would you invest in Elemental Adept feat for fire? It would only comes to Quicken GFB (or normal GFB), Fireball and probably scorching ray, but it would allow to ignore one of most common resistance. However on the other hand- Quicken BB is already hardly resisted (thunder). Elemental Adept would combo well with Draconic Sorcerer, however +5 damage to fireball or to one of scorching rays seems to enough to justify it. Maybe if it was working like Agonizing Blast.

FrogReaver

Thanks. Would you invest in Elemental Adept feat for fire? It would only comes to Quicken GFB (or normal GFB), Fireball and probably scorching ray, but it would allow to ignore one of most common resistance. However on the other hand- Quicken BB is already hardly resisted (thunder). Elemental Adept would combo well with Draconic Sorcerer, however +5 damage to fireball or to one of scorching rays seems to enough to justify it. Maybe if it was working like Agonizing Blast.

I wouldn’t take elemental adept. You have lots of non fire damage sources when you meet resistant to fire creatures.

FrogReaver

A level 5 sorcerer will know 6 spells. Assuming shield and absorb elements are 2 of them that leaves 4 spells.

I would go with
haste
Blindness/deafness
Shadow blade

One of
Slow
Spirit guardian
Thinderstep

Benny89

First Post
Do you guys think it's worth to take RES (CON) later if you already have War Caster and +5 Aura?

I wonder if I should start game with 16, 8, 15, 8, 8, 16 and take RES (CON) on 14 level (since I start with War Caster) instead of going 16, 10, 14, 8, 8, 16 and have even CON but better DEX save? WIS save will already be high with prof + Aura so I am not too afraid of one -1, but DEX is weakest Paladin point so I would prefer to have full +5 here.

Since our DM loves magic items, there is high chance of getting sime +CON or CON magic item so I don't know if it's worth to invest in odd CON number at start and wait with it till level 14.

FrogReaver

Do you guys think it's worth to take RES (CON) later if you already have War Caster and +5 Aura?

I wonder if I should start game with 16, 8, 15, 8, 8, 16 and take RES (CON) on 14 level (since I start with War Caster) instead of going 16, 10, 14, 8, 8, 16 and have even CON but better DEX save? WIS save will already be high with prof + Aura so I am not too afraid of one -1, but DEX is weakest Paladin point so I would prefer to have full +5 here.

Since our DM loves magic items, there is high chance of getting sime +CON or CON magic item so I don't know if it's worth to invest in odd CON number at start and wait with it till level 14.

By high levels you have some real encounter ending spells. I'd highly consider it at level 14.

Initiative and Dex saves are also useful. You get the initiative bonus and dex save bonus for most of the game. The odd con doesn't benefit you till level 14/15. I don't think the odd con is worth it.

Benny89

First Post
If one goes 6/14 build sword n board- do you think Defense is better than Dueling.

If you have already 20 AC (plate + shield), how big benefit is +1 AC.

If you have up to 3 (or 4 with Haste) attacks per turn, how big benefit is extra +6/+8 dmg per turn vs +1 AC?

FrogReaver

If one goes 6/14 build sword n board- do you think Defense is better than Dueling.

If you have already 20 AC (plate + shield), how big benefit is +1 AC.

If you have up to 3 (or 4 with Haste) attacks per turn, how big benefit is extra +6/+8 dmg per turn vs +1 AC?

+1 AC will allow you to avoid being hit by an additional 1 out of every 20 attacks. If you take 20 attacks in a day then that means +1 AC will cause 1 to miss on average. If you take 40 then +1 AC will cause 2 to miss on average.

Duelist Advantage on a 16 str paladin without any buffs (over a 20 round day)
Level 5 Daily Damage (Duelist): +17% to +21%
Level 5 Nova Damage (Duelist): +8% to +10%

As your sorcerer levels add higher level spell slots for smiting you will see a slight decrease in Nova Damage.
Adding extra attacks to both sides of the comparison really won't significantly change the percentages above.
As you go up higher levels I expect to see the Daily Damage go slightly lower as well due to more and more of your daily damage coming from spell slots and sorcery points

In short I like duelist because I think the above shows it's just at the point early game where it's better than +1 AC. It stays that way through a good portion of the game. I think there's a case for +1 AC instead of duelist in the late game.

Last edited:

Remove ads