[OOC] A Game of Trust

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Sparky said:
My questions are all answered. My PC is close to finished and I expect to be joining soon. No later than next Wednesday (slammed right now). Yay!

Note the changes to starting XP & gold (6000XP/2200gp now)... Hopefully that won't require too many changes (I think I had you starting at 6000 in anticipation of this, anyway)

Mithreander said:
I would have to vote against having more then 6 people at one time, if my vote counts at all.

Oh, it does, lots, considering you're one of the people who'd be brought in.

dpdx said:
And while I'm at it, can I say for the record just how much I hate that 0 for 6 thread? I'll never post to it, when I could instead be spending that time posting to or DMing a game. And that's about the kindest thing I have to say about it, or the posts that occur there. Boo hoo. You don't get with the program by whining about it. Do, or do not, dammit. There is no freaking try.

And you're doing, Mith, by jumping back into the game, so none of that applies to you any more - much respect.

BTW, I might mention that I'm fixin' to use some of my ample spare time to try again at DMing, and do up an adventure for DnD3.5e (in LEW, once the map comes out) ... to run here in the near future. You all know my post frequency, so you know I'm good for it. And I'd be honored to have any of you folks in.

Point one: My sentiments exactly.
Point two: My sentiments exactly.
Point three: If you do the LEW route, and he's not busy, you better believe Sturm's in.

Lu Wei Fong

First Post
Thank you very much for reserving the first spot in line for Mith and I. However, I don't want to cheat Mith out of something he obviously enjoyed very much and circumstances just prevented him from playing for a while :( . I would be more than happy to let Mith have sole ownership of first up and just keep waiting if that's more convenient :).
On another note, seeing as I do have some kind of chance of getting in sometime *maybe*, would it be alright for me to post my character concept for your approval? As well as submitting a few feats/other options I wish to pursue later on for your approval, in case I am admitted? Thanks much for your time and continued consideration :)

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
On another note, seeing as I do have some kind of chance of getting in sometime *maybe*, would it be alright for me to post my character concept for your approval? As well as submitting a few feats/other options I wish to pursue later on for your approval, in case I am admitted? Thanks much for your time and continued consideration

You can, if you want to -- if it's going by core rulebooks, you don't need to post either a concept or a character sheet... If you have some other concept you want to pursue, you can discuss that either here or by email (here is nice, as it gives other players a chance to give their opinions & input... on the other hand, sometimes it's nice to have a few surprises up your sleeve)...

Sparky

Guilt Puppy said:
... on the other hand, sometimes it's nice to have a few surprises up your sleeve)...

Agreed. :)

I thought that not posting character concepts, classes and meta-game stuff was actually a really cool feature of this game. Eventually stuff leaks or gets figured out, but I really liked that. It's mysterious... a nice touch.

Given Guilt Puppy's stated distaste for email, however, please, don't let my words keep you from showing us your character, especially if you don't have anything you want to keep under wraps.

Lu Wei Fong

First Post
Alright, well, I'll try and accomodate both GPs dubious regard of E-Mail and the desire for little meta-game info. Whether or not I succeed is another matter :)
So basically, I'll just lay out some basic stuff about him that honestly, you would probably have to be blind deaf and asleep not to pick up the moment you met the guy :p He's a Human monk by the name of Tao Shi Sung. The man is completely 200% against the idea of relying on external forces such as weapons, armor, and especially magic to help him. He wants to suceed at anything he does entirely by his own merits. This, coupled with a truly philanthropic personality, has led him to take a Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds). Tao Shi Sung is what he calls a 'mortal potentialist'. He believes that there is a limitless (though largely untapped as of yet) resivoir of potential within mortal beings such as humans that, if tapped, would shame the power of any dragon that ever drew breath and rival (perhaps even surpass) the gods themselves (as I'm sure you can guess, Tao is agnostic ;) ). He travels and adventures in order to test and shatter his limits, to try and achieve this potential he believes so devoutly in. As for his altruism; the first thing Tao does whenever he comes across a new village or city is to go around and find as many beggars and homeless as he can. He buys them all a fresh set of peasant's clothes, a winter outfit, a winter blanket, and a bedroll. Then he gives them a warm meal and sets out to find the different craftsmen of the town (blacksmiths, carpenters, herbalists, tanners, masons, etc...) and usues his diplomacy skill to try and get the now cleaned up beggars apprenticeships.
OK, for the meta-game stuff, I'll start by just giving you the names of the books I might want to use and see if you'll approve those first. If you want specifics then I'll list 'em. Maybe this way we can keep that sense of mystery :) *The Quintessential Monk(Mongoose) *Ultimate Feats(Mongoose again) Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol. 2 (Again with the Mongoose) *Feats(AEG) aaaand then of course the Book of Exalted Deeds(WOTC)
Thanks much :)
P.S. Sparky, sorry about posting the concept, but the last game I tried to get into didn't like any of my books, so I wanted to make sure they were ok with GP. Hopefully I didn't give to much away that the guys wouldn't have picked up on in a heart-beat anyways (gee, who could that unarmed, unarmored, unadorned, really in shape man who carries no possessions over there giving some gold peices to a peasant be?) ;)

Sparky

Monks as a class do tend to unintentionally broadcast themselves, moreso than others. :)

Sounds like a challenge. How does he feel about accepting magical healing? I can imagine it would be quite a struggle to rely on his body's own means. A noble struggle.

Lu Wei Fong

First Post
Sparky said:
Monks as a class do tend to unintentionally broadcast themselves, moreso than others. :)

Sounds like a challenge. How does he feel about accepting magical healing? I can imagine it would be quite a struggle to rely on his body's own means. A noble struggle.
Well, that's the purpose of Wholeness of Body :) However, that doesn't always do the trick (if he even has it yet, dunno what level we are). Essentially, he refuses magical aid of any kind in all but the most dire, life-threatening situations, i.e. at -9 hp, even then, he'd prefer a heal check :p As a note, when he gets Diamond Soul, he won't lower the Spell Resistance for friendly fire ;)

Sparky

I just couldn't wait. I probably should have, I'm going out of town starting Thursday and will be unlikely to post over the weekend. I just couldn't wait. :)

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Lu Wei Fong said:
*The Quintessential Monk(Mongoose) *Ultimate Feats(Mongoose again) Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol. 2 (Again with the Mongoose) *Feats(AEG) aaaand then of course the Book of Exalted Deeds(WOTC)

You know, I have none of those books, so I really can't approve them... I assume, for the most part, it's feats you're looking at? I'd have to approve/record those on a case-by-case basis (both so I have some sense that it's balanced, and more importantly so I can know any mechanics I'll need to know), so if you could email me the rules for those (and, despite my exponentially developing reputation for hating email :) that really is the proper place for that... while email transactions are more akin to "hey, pass me that book" at a table-top game, posting mechanics in a public forum can get iffy fast)...

I do like the character concept, and all things considered, might prefer trying to develop a prestige class to suit it (perhaps based on whatever material in those books you prefer to use), as I generally prefer to homebrew whenever possible. Again, you can email me either a skeleton of the class, or just some features you're looking for, and we can work out the details from there.

I can also guarantee that it will have an adverse effect on survivability, especially as levels progress -- that's the basic trade-off for independence from the risk of losing items which comprise a large portion of your character's "power." If you are comfortable with this (and I imagine you are, if you're even bringing up the idea) then it can work, but I am a let-the-dice-fall DM, and I don't hesitate to either place or let players find their way into very dangerous situations. Of course, combat happens pretty rarely, so even if you fall in your first fight, you'll still get some months of playing time in -- so don't worry about it too much (it's also why I don't worry about balance too much). I just figured I should point that out before allowing that sort of character.

Oh, and Sparky: Regarding "parting comments," those can be safely attributed to intoxication.

Remove ads