[OOC] A Game of Trust

Mithreander

Explorer
Sparky said:
Mithreander/Furgus has a prior claim that I feel compelled to honor.

let's not jump the gun. Let's see what the DM has to say. I was given a chance already and blew it, so it may be best for everyone to let some new blood in. And besides, I'm not sure that it's either you or me. It may be both. Either way, it's ultimately the DM's decision, so let's leave it up to him.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
For the sake of sorting things out, let's try to explain my logic for who's entering the game & when:

- The roster is 6 players, not 7. I'll open a Seventh under special circumstances -- usually when there's a player that shows a strong interest, and I have some doubts about the current 6 holding up.

- Prior to Sparky joining, there were six players involved: dpdx, Uriel, Festy_Dog, doghead, DrZombie, and Tonguez. At the time, two were new, and I generally give new players about a fifty-fifty chance of sticking around for the long haul, not to mention the chance there always is of losing anyone... Figuring it was more likely than not to have a shot open shortly, and because of Sparky's interest in the game, I opened that Seventh slot.

- I don't have any concrete system for what qualifies as "occupying a slot" -- generally it's open until someone posts, but in some cases I'll give the spot before than, if the individual has established a strong enough interest OOC that I know they're not just going to wander off. The emails exchanged regarding character definitely strike me as a strong enough interest, and border on qualifying as "posts"... In short, I've been treating Sparky as part of the roster for some time now.

- On doghead's leaving, this "upgrades" Sparky from a temporary slot to a real slot -- leaving us with six, which is the roster. I could open up a Seventh at this point, but then why not the next time? And the next time? And then we have a roster of seven, which gets upgraded to eight in special circumstances... You see how that goes.

- Although that pretty much resolves it, I still have to deal with the fact that both Mith and Lu Wei have about equal claim to "first place in line" at this point -- Mith lost his spot apparently prematurely, and Lu Wei lost his place in line because of that... Anyway, to sort that out, I'm treating you both as having the "same" place in line -- meaning that once a spot on the roster opens, a Seventh slot will open along with it, as that qualifies as a special circumstance.

I understand that all of this is subjective and open to argument, and so I am open to hear some arguments. I try to keep as rules-light as possible, not just within the game, but as far as the game is run as well -- but this only works if, in its place, you try to reach concensus.

And speaking of concensus: I'm willing to expand the roster to eight, just this once, if I hear agreement from everyone that it's a Good Thing. I, personally, don't think it is, but I can deal with it if everyone prefers it (considering that I don't have to deal with statsheets, it doesn't create all that much extra work for me)...

Does that answer everyone's questions?

Mithreander

Explorer
So basically I'm one of two people on the waiting list.

Fair is fair.

I would have to vote against having more then 6 people at one time, if my vote counts at all. It's difficult with 4 people, much less 6, and 8 is just crazy. No, I think I'll be patient and wait for an opening within the 6 spots of the original roster. As to Lu Wei, if you do tempararily open it up to another person, give it to him, and I'll wait beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested, but I had my chance, and he has not. Let him have a go, and if it turns out that you have 7 steady posters for the life of the campaine and I never get a chance, then I will sertainly love reading through it to see the characters develope in their entirity!

Cheers!

dpdx

Explorer
It certainly does mine.

In fact, the only difference between it and what I was thinking, is that Mith was back in, too, thus opening that seventh slot at present, since most of us already have prior knowledge of Fergus. Although Fergus has got a lot of geographical distance to cover, as he was last seen in the halfling village. It might be easier for you to put together a new character, Mith.

Which, again, is why I'm glad it's GP's call.

And while I'm at it, can I say for the record just how much I hate that 0 for 6 thread? I'll never post to it, when I could instead be spending that time posting to or DMing a game. And that's about the kindest thing I have to say about it, or the posts that occur there. Boo hoo. You don't get with the program by whining about it. Do, or do not, dammit. There is no freaking try.

Mithreander

Explorer
dpdx said:
And while I'm at it, can I say for the record just how much I hate that 0 for 6 thread? I'll never post to it, when I could instead be spending that time posting to or DMing a game. And that's about the kindest thing I have to say about it, or the posts that occur there. Boo hoo. You don't get with the program by whining about it. Do, or do not, dammit. There is no freaking try.

Hee, hee! I'll try not to take that personally since I'm one of the boo-hooer's that posted to that thread... multiple times. Needless to say... wait, since it's needless, I won't even say it.

Last edited:

Sparky

Okay.

My questions are all answered. My PC is close to finished and I expect to be joining soon. No later than next Wednesday (slammed right now). Yay!

I'm excited!

Yay!

Oh... and doghead... sorry to see you go. I really liked Xiao a lot.

dpdx

Explorer
And you're doing, Mith, by jumping back into the game, so none of that applies to you any more - much respect. Although now that you are, at worst, tied for first one in, I'll expect not to see any more posts from you to the 'Boo Hoo, I can't sustain or finish a PbP game!' thread. :D

BTW, I might mention that I'm fixin' to use some of my ample spare time to try again at DMing, and do up an adventure for DnD3.5e (in LEW, once the map comes out) or SWd20 (I've been dying to do the Kessel run from the big chair, 'my' way), to run here in the near future. You all know my post frequency, so you know I'm good for it. And I'd be honored to have any of you folks in.

Mithreander

Explorer
Thanks... I do post often when I do post.

I wish I had time to join one of your games, dpdx, but at last, I think I'm at my limit... maybe. Unlike you, I have a hard time determining whether I've got to much on my plate or not.

Anyway, I hope you do go for it... and let us know here so that even if we don't join, we can still read it.

Remove ads