Magic Weapons and upgrades

Mystery Man

First Post
I'm unclear as to whether or not you can take say a +2 holy longsword and add another magic bonus to make it a +3 holy longsword. Or do you have to start from stratch?

thanks, your patience is neccessary...er..appreciated. :D

Aaron2

Explorer
From the SRD ....

ADDING NEW ABILITIES
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.

Aaron

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Mystery Man said:
I'm unclear as to whether or not you can take say a +2 holy longsword and add another magic bonus to make it a +3 holy longsword. Or do you have to start from stratch?

thanks, your patience is neccessary...er..appreciated. :D

Yes you can. From the SRD

3.5 SRD said:
ADDING NEW ABILITIES
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.
If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character's body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Edit: Aaron2 beat me to the punch.

Last edited:

Taurren

First Post
I know that this is clearly stated in the rules, but I cant help but feel its one of the silliest rules / guidelines in 3.5 and does alot to diminish the special nature of magical items.

I have always imagined that the creation of an enchanted item, requires both the casting of the necessary magic and the crafting of the item in a process that is challenging for the item's creator. To me, magic items have always been unique and special items, not blank slates that you can add powers to whenever you have enough money to afford an upgrade. :rolleyes:

Oh well ... I guess that is why we have House Rules. :p

Aaron2

Explorer
Taurren said:
I know that this is clearly stated in the rules, but I cant help but feel its one of the silliest rules / guidelines in 3.5 and does alot to diminish the special nature of magical items.

I have the opposite outlook. I think these rules make it much easier for a character to stick with a signature weapon. Under the old way, a character would either have to hope that the random treasure pile contained a Dwarven Waraxe (for example) or he would have to make do with whatever he happened upon until much later in the campaign when he's finally got money to spare.

In 3x, a character can purchase his weapon as a masterwork at second level and use the same weapon throughout his entire adventuring life. That's good by me.

Aaron

Last edited:

Taurren

First Post
I totally agree that signiture weapons have a fantastic appeal to players and can be a great part of a campaign.

But wouldn't it be be better to allow the PC's access to a master weaponsmith who specializes in Dwarven Axes, rather than have a rule that diminishes the RP value of weapons by allowing them to be "upgraded" easier and faster than a Windows patch?

I know this is only personal opinion, but that rule really seems to trivialize the wonder and uniqueness of magical weapons.

kreynolds

First Post
Taurren said:
But wouldn't it be be better to allow the PC's access to a master weaponsmith who specializes in Dwarven Axes, rather than have a rule that diminishes the RP value of weapons by allowing them to be "upgraded" easier and faster than a Windows patch?

Well, since the rule doesn't diminish the RP value of weapons for me, then a master weaponsmith who specializes in Dwarven Axes would probably be able to apply more unique weapon properties into dwarven axes. In other words, weapon properties that might be hard to aquire might be easier with such a craftsman.

LordZaith

First Post
Taurren said:

I have always imagined that the creation of an enchanted item, requires both the casting of the necessary magic and the crafting of the item in a process that is challenging for the item's creator. To me, magic items have always been unique and special items, not blank slates that you can add powers to whenever you have enough money to afford an upgrade. :rolleyes:

Oh well ... I guess that is why we have House Rules. :p

For that reason I make it that the weapon must remain in the enchanter's possession for 3x the enchantment time requirment or what I deem appropriate.
So that the character will either have to wait several months up to a year for thier new weapon (In Game).

Remove ads