I need some help locking the tower

BluWolf

Explorer
I'm thinking alongs these lines DM but I'm trying to rationalize why there is A) a damn key in the first place and C) where it is.

By the way, no Hearoneous(sp?). My campaign world is monothiestic.

Squire James

First Post
Some Pit Fiend owns the tower. While the Infernal Armies were intent on building the tower, some Pit Fiend functionary signed his name on the deed and filed it somewhere in one of Hell's many Deed Registration Offices. So until Lord Hex (1) finds out where the deed is, (2) looks at the deed, (3) finds the Pit Fiend, and (4) convinces the Pit Fiend to let him in, Lord Hex cannot enter the tower! Sometimes being a vampire is more trouble than it's worth...

If you want a simpler, owner-less solution... the devils once had a problem with undead entering their tower and invading THEM, so they cast a powerful spell that keeps undead out. Lord Hex will either have to (1) become alive again somehow, or (2) use some non-undead (ie: the PCs?) as catspaws to remove the item that powers the anti-undead shield.

oliverhenshaw

First Post
Read the Twins dragonlance trilogy? Ther's a ward there that can only be defeated by the free-willed agreement of a purely good cleric and a perfectly evil mage. I can't think of any other such unlikely combinations at the moment, but the key could be some unlikely combination of un-minded controlled indiviudals, or events.

Why? Perhaps, like the prophecy of the guy at the beginning of Prattchett's Sourcerers, all True Magic MUST have a loophole worked into the casting. No matter how unlikely or seemingly impossible. You can tie it in to cosmic balance and stuff.

Or, the Magic which protects the tower has created a demiplane in which the two souls mentioned earlier are trapped. The vapire must gain access to the demiplane somewhow*, and then somehow find an item or power to communicate with the souls - bargaining, compelling or corrupting them to make the enchamtents fall.

Having first found a way to find out where it is maybe?

Plenty of sub-tasks could be necessary on the way, and it could even end in a roleplayed showdown tryin to convbince the souls that they have been deceived.

BluWolf

Explorer
I have decided on ritualized castings from two groups.

1 Clerical, casitng Forbbidance and Hallow (w/ a Cause Fear spell) all neatly made permanent by a Ritual Miracle.

2 Arcane, casting Symbol: Pain and Symbol:Discord made permanent by a ritual Wish.

The loophole is the lead cleric and the lead wizard both invested so much of theri lifeforce (XP) that when they died they were raised as ghosts that now protect the gate.

Few know about the ghosts or that if their remains are brought to the tower and interred there, the spells will be undone.

Of course the party will find this out here shortly and the bad guy found out a week ago.

AND THERE OFF!!!!!!!!!

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
How about needing Positive Energy channelled into it at a certain level (oh, let's say an effective level of 10 to 15), as with turning undead. This requires a rather beefy, good cleric.

Lord Hex doesn't like this since it requires finding a good cleric to help him. For that matter, a good cleric that can probably turn him or take him out in combat.

Lord Hex is trying to find an ankh/ring/rod/slippers/tea cozy that will produce a similar effect. The only one known is either in a big, heavily defended, good cathedral or some deathtrap dungeon.

How's that? Easy to implement with existing core rules. Good reason for a vampire not to have accomplished it yet. Not entirely impossible for a low to mid level party to pull off.

Remove ads