• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does hardness overcome hardness?

ciaran00

Explorer
Does hardness overcome hardness? I am thinking this in the context of diamond cutting diamond and was wondering...

ciaran

irdeggman

First Post
I'd say the example is akin to the size modifiers used for creatures. For example a size S creature (e.g., gnome) gets a +1 to AC and +1 to attacks. this applies to every situation even when 2 size S creatures are fighting each other. A gnome gets +1 on attacks against another gnome who gets +1 to his AC so they balance out.

I would treat each item/weapon as its own individual thing. If an item is made of adamatine then it bypasses hardness of anything it is used against. It is simpler this way and consistent with other 3.5 sytems and mechanics, IMO.

jgsugden

Legend
In the real world, it makes sense. In game terms, it doesn't. Having metal weapons ignore the hardness of other metal weapons negates the need for hardness.

This is one area where fantasy diverges from reality. In D&D, a nonmagical club made of wood in the hands of a raging barbarian can shatter a longsword.

In other words, this was a concept that they avoided in the core rules. If you want to include it, you're not following the game rules, but it certainly makes sense. It may, however, lead to some bad ramifications by making sundering too easy ...

James McMurray

First Post
No, hardness does not overcome hardness, nor should it (for the reasons jgsugden pointed out).

Even adamantine doesn't ignore its own hardness. It ignores hardness of less than 20.

irdeggman

First Post
James McMurray said:
No, hardness does not overcome hardness, nor should it (for the reasons jgsugden pointed out).

Even adamantine doesn't ignore its own hardness. It ignores hardness of less than 20.

Good catch on the <20 hardness issue.

But really items having hardness has no effect on whether or not they can better sunder something else. Hardness is similar to damage reduction and doesn't apply to offensive use - so hardness overcoming hardness is not really a possibility, IMO.

Admantine could bypass the hardness of lesser materials though (specifically anything with less than 20 hardness)

ciaran00

Explorer
James McMurray said:

Hey good catch. Thanks for the correction. The reason I am asking is that I was wondering how they craft something like adamantine.... I guess I can always require adamantine tools in order to craft it...?

ciaran

Last edited:

exempt

First Post
jgsugden said:
This is one area where fantasy diverges from reality. In D&D, a nonmagical club made of wood in the hands of a raging barbarian can shatter a longsword.
Supposedly some masters of teh bo stick could shatter a sword if they hit it right.

Remove ads