Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Btw everyone, the reason there's not another update yet is that since the last update, I've gotten some more freelance work. Currently working on the flavor text half of a regional sourcebook, and a second (not yet announced) book that I'm getting to write the entirety of. So suffice to say, I'm crazy busy at the moment.

Hopefully the end result is something folks like though.

sciborg2

First Post
a second (not yet announced) book that I'm getting to write the entirety of. So suffice to say, I'm crazy busy at the moment.

Is this the Great Beyond? Can't wait to see what you have in store for the daemons. :p

Also, please for my sake put in an alternate history for the dragons as I really disliked the Apsu-Tiamat story. :erm:

congrats again!

Sci

Shemeska

Adventurer
Is this the Great Beyond? Can't wait to see what you have in store for the daemons. :p

Yeps! It's the Great Beyond book for Paizo. I just turned in a rough draft for the Paizo'verse's daemons and demodands last night. I had fun. There might be some easter eggs from my home game therein once the book is out, but way too early to say for certain [and any easter eggs won't necessarily remain the exact same. I'm trying to avoid holding onto any preconceived notions here and make them distinct enough from the 'loths, while also staying true to my and their thematic roots]

Valthosian

First Post
Just wanted to say this is the best storyhour ever. I delurk, hoping that some time in the near future there will be more.

I've just started prep'ing a planescape 3.5 campaign for my son as his first exposure to the game and I hope to approach the level of skill with which you spun this wonderful web.

Thanks Shemmy, love your work, I'm currently reading everything I can find by you on Planewalker and I'm looking forward to more on all fronts.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Just wanted to say this is the best storyhour ever. I delurk, hoping that some time in the near future there will be more.

As soon as my freelancing commitments are wrapped up, I'll be returning to the storyhour. :)

I've just started prep'ing a planescape 3.5 campaign for my son as his first exposure to the game and I hope to approach the level of skill with which you spun this wonderful web.

Thanks Shemmy, love your work, I'm currently reading everything I can find by you on Planewalker and I'm looking forward to more on all fronts.

I'm absolutely flattered. :eek: That really means a lot to me. Good luck introducing your son to this awesome hobby. My parents just complained about the game being "something you shouldn't do" and "dangerous" because they knew someone how knew somehow who'd heard it was a bad influence. I would have had so much fun when I was younger if I'd had exposure to the game prior to actually being in college when I picked it up. Your son will have a blast!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Yeps! It's the Great Beyond book for Paizo. I just turned in a rough draft for the Paizo'verse's daemons and demodands last night. I had fun. There might be some easter eggs from my home game therein once the book is out, but way too early to say for certain [and any easter eggs won't necessarily remain the exact same. I'm trying to avoid holding onto any preconceived notions here and make them distinct enough from the 'loths, while also staying true to my and their thematic roots]

That sounds awesome, man. Great to see you getting high profile freelance work - you deserve it.

Quick question for you. How instrumental, in your opinion, was your story hour in the getting of said freelance work? I know my own story hours and monster threads were very helpful in getting my own RPG career started.

BD

Shemeska

Adventurer
Quick question for you. How instrumental, in your opinion, was your story hour in the getting of said freelance work? I know my own story hours and monster threads were very helpful in getting my own RPG career started.

BD

Very. Between it and the baernaloth stories I'd posted up on Planewalker and elsewhere, it helped me get my name out there. When I first submitted some queries to Dragon, one of the editors knew me right off the bat from those stories. And prior to that, they'd incorporated an idea from a storyhour excerpt that I'd posted into a plot hook in a planescape campaign classics article in dragon (the one that rumored about Factol Nilesia being flayed by the Lady of Pain)*. Any way of getting your name and your work out there in public is a good thing towards getting industry folks to notice you. I hesitate to call it that, but shameless self promotion will get you places.

While that first particular query never made it to print -a big piece on baernaloths- the next few queries did. And it was the various things in Dragon and Dungeon I had that I think got me in the door for work with the guys at Paizo now with Pathfinder.

*and it's honestly unfortunate they went with that instance from the storyhour, because well... it wasn't so black and white of a thing, Nilesia being flayed to death in public. We aren't there yet, but her story is by no means over in this storyhour.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Very. Between it and the baernaloth stories I'd posted up on Planewalker and elsewhere, it helped me get my name out there. When I first submitted some queries to Dragon, one of the editors knew me right off the bat from those stories. And prior to that, they'd incorporated an idea from a storyhour excerpt that I'd posted into a plot hook in a planescape campaign classics article in dragon (the one that rumored about Factol Nilesia being flayed by the Lady of Pain)*. Any way of getting your name and your work out there in public is a good thing towards getting industry folks to notice you. I hesitate to call it that, but shameless self promotion will get you places.

While that first particular query never made it to print -a big piece on baernaloths- the next few queries did. And it was the various things in Dragon and Dungeon I had that I think got me in the door for work with the guys at Paizo now with Pathfinder.

*and it's honestly unfortunate they went with that instance from the storyhour, because well... it wasn't so black and white of a thing, Nilesia being flayed to death in public. We aren't there yet, but her story is by no means over in this storyhour.

My experience was similar. My story hours and monster threads gained the attention of a few publishers, Goodman Games most prominent among them, and I started to find that people were already familiar with my work when I submitted queries. In the beginning I did a lot of editing/stat work, and that opened the door for larger projects, and eventually led to a full-time position with Goodman.

You know, I’m currently writing a 4E monster supplement for daemons. Maybe I should let you fact check it before it sees print. ;)

BD

Herzog

Adventurer
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've reached the end! woe unto me, I'll have to wait for the next update like all those others I took pity upon when reading through the previous pages.......

but, this gives me the chance to thank you for an excellent story. One I hoped for I would never reach the end to. And which hasn't ended yet, so more goodness to come I hope!

Also, some shocks for me while reading through all the posts that I just have to share:

1. Wait. Shemeska the DM is a guy? (mentioned before....)
2. Wait. Clueless the player is a girl?
3. Wait. What's Shemeska doing behind Clueless' laptop. Waitaminute......

Now, I don't want to get into your personal lives, so I don't expect any comments on this. Just had to share my thoughts.....

And again, great story!

Remove ads