Gestalt 13th Level "Terror and Blasphemy"

Creamsteak

Explorer
This game will run through the module "Terror and Blasphemy" that was created by a bunch of us EN Worlders. After the module, there is no guarantee that the game will continue. We will act as a set of playtesters of both the Gestalt rules presented in Undearthed Arcanna, and the adventure itself. Obviously I have to ask that you not be a contributor to "Terror and Blasphemy," and that you avoid reading it until after the adventure is completed. If you contributed to CD-2 or plan to contribute to CD-3, that is fine. However, CD-1 "Terror and Blasphemy" is off limits to the players for obvious reasons.

Characters will be created using Point Buy 32, the Core Rules, Complete Warrior, the Minis Handbook, Book of Exalted Deeds, Draconomicon, and the Gestalt variant presented in Unearthed Arcanna. Characters begin play at 13th level. All that will be needed by a player is a DMG and PHB.

As Gestalt is an OGL concept, I present it to you:

Gestalt Characters
In this high-powered campaign variant, characters essentially take two classes at every level, choosing the best aspects of each. The process is similar to multiclassing, except that characters gain the full benefits of each class at each level. If the two classes have aspects that overlap (such as Hit Dice, attack progression, saves, and class features common to more than one class), you choose the better aspect. The gestalt character retains all apsects that don't overlap.

The gestalt character variant is particularly effective if you have three or fewer players in your D&D group, or if your players enjoy multiclassing and want characters with truly prodigious powers. This variant works only if every PC in the campaign uses it, and it results in complicated characters who may overwhelm newer D&D players with an abundance of options.

Building a Gestalt Character
Top make a 1st-level gestalt character, choose two standard D&D classes. (You can also choose any of the variant classes in this book, though youcan't combine two versions of the same class.) Build your character according to the followign guidelines.
Hit Dice: Choose the larger Hit Die. A monk/sorcerer would use d8 as her Hit Die and have 8 hit points (plus Constitution modifier) at 1st level, for example.
Base Attack Bonus: Choose the better progression from the two classes.
Base Saving Throw Bonuses: For each save bonus, choose the better progression from the two classes. For example, a 1st-level gestalt fighter/wizard would have base saving throw bonuses of Fortitude +2, Reflex +0, Will +2--taking the good Fortitude save from the fighter class and the good Will save from the wizard class.
Class Skills: Take the number of skill points gained per level from whichever class grants more skill points, and consider any skill on either class list as a class skill for the gestalt character. For example, a gestalt barbarian/bard would gain skill points per level equal to 6 + Int modifier (and have four times thsi amoutn at 1st level), and can purchase skills from both the barbariand and bard lists as class skills.
Class Features: A gestalt character gains the class features of both classes. A 1st-level gestalt rogue/cleric, for example, gets sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding, 1st-level cleric spells, and the ability to turn or rebuke undead. Class-and ability-based restrictions (such as arcane spell failure chance and a druid's prohibition on wearing metal armor) apply normally to a gestalt character, no matter what the other class is.

A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gaisn a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics. A few caveats apply, however.
  • Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate fo the faster class.
  • Gestalt characters with more than one spellcasting class keep track of their spells per day seperately.
  • A gestalt character can't combine two prestige-classes at any level, although it's okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations--such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-- should be prohibited if you're using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what's already a high-powered variant. Because it's possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the DM is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it's available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
This looks like it could be fun. I'd like to try a barbarian/bard, both because the skald is a fun archetype, and to see whether it breaks the system or not (it is, after all, a playtest).

Rough draft:

Aemon al'Relan, human Bbn/Brd 13

Str 21 [6 points, 3 level raises, +4 Girdle]
Dex 18 [6 points, +4 Gloves]
Con 18 [6 points, +4 Amulet]
Int 14 [6 points]
Wis 10 [2 points]
Cha 16 [6 points, +2 Cloak]

Hit Dice: 13d12+52 (142)
BAB= +13
Fort +12 (base +8, Con +4)
R +12 (base +8, Dex +4)
W +8 (base +8)

AC: 25 (+10 armor, +1 deflection, +4 Dex) touch 15, flatfooted 21
Attacks: +20/+15/+10 melee, 2d4+7 15-20/x2 falchion
+18/+13/+8, 1d8+5 20/x3, longbow

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Sunder, Combat Brute, Arcane Strike

Skills:
Climb +21 [16 ranks, +5 Str]
Concentration +20 [16 ranks, +4 Con]
Hide +19 [16 ranks, +4 Dex, -1 armor]
Listen +16 [16 ranks]
Move Silently +19 [16 ranks, +4 Dex, -1 armor]
Perform (sing) +19 [16 ranks, +3 Cha]
Spellcraft +18 [16 ranks, +2 Int]
Tumble +19 [16 ranks, +4 Dex, -1 armor]
Use Magic Device +19 [16 ranks, +3 Cha]

Class abilities: DR 3/-, Greater Rage 4/day, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +4, Fast Movement, Bardic Knowledge (+15), Bardic Music (inspire courage, countersong, fascinate, inspire competence, suggestion, inspire greatness, song of freedom)

Spells: 3/4/4/4/2 Save DC 13+ spell level
0th: Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Resistance
1st: Charm Person, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Hideous Laughter
2nd: Blur, Mirror Image, Shatter, Silence
3rd: Dispel Magic, Haste, Major Image, See Invisibility
4th: Cure Critical Wounds, Greater Invisibility, Hold Monster, Shout

EQ: Cloak of Charisma +2, Girdle of Giant Strength +4, Amulet of Health +4, Gloves of Dexterity +4, Ring of Sustenance, Ring of Protection +1, +5 Mithral Breastplate, +2 Keen Falchion, +1 Mighty [+4] composite longbow, 40 cold iron arrows, 40 alchemical silver arrows, 3 wands of Cure Light Wounds, wand of True Strike, 115 gold.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
funny I was just talking to PA about this the other day... :D

To quote a famous man, "If its not broke your not trying."

I'm uncertain what I will play maybe a fighter/rogue. :D

Dalamar

Adventurer
I think I'll take a go at a hexblade/sorcerer, just to see how that turns out. Can I use the UA variant of changing my sorcerer familiar for an animal companion while keeping my hexblade familiar?

Serpenteye

First Post
Hello Creamsteak, my old advesary ;), what's up?

I've never played a gestalt game before, it looks promising. I'm considering a Sorcerer/Paladin... Is the Paladin's ability to cast spells without penalty in armour a class-feature that would apply to the sorcerer's arcane spellcasting? Is the sorcerer's lack of alignment restrictions and ethos a feature that would apply to the paladin half of the character, without penalties?

--
edit: 3 posts in 1 minute, all with a similar idea. Great minds think alike, huh? :cool:

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
That was fast. 7 Players. I'll take one more player and run the adventure twice over. That will give me twice as much knowledge, while still keeping the average 4 person group.

So, you guys can figure out how to divide yourselves into two seperate parties of 4, and we will wait for one more person.

And as another general statement, you won't be allowed to view another group's thread just so we don't have any accidental spoilers. Both adventures will start on the same day.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Serpenteye said:
Hello Creamsteak, my old advesary ;), what's up?

I've never played a gestalt game before, it looks promising. I'm considering a Sorcerer/Paladin... Is the Paladin's ability to cast spells without penalty in armour a class-feature that would apply to the sorcerer's arcane spellcasting? Is

No it won't... :( That's the difference between divine and arcane spells. It's labeled arcane spell failure not just spell failure.

Creamsteak, I suggest breaking the rogues up so theirs one a group. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases