old Red dragon D&D -how to slay?

notjer

First Post
Hey all

our gruop class is: 1 rogue lvl 6, 1 rogue lvl 4, 1 lvl7 mage,1 lvl 4 dragon disciple silver, 6 barbar lvl3-4-5, lvl 8-9 barbar leader, archmage summonder, 1 fighter/barbar lvl 4, 1 ranger lvl 4.
we are human and elven and 1 half-elf

we have this problem that we shall slay an old red dragon or our group would be slayed by a hight lvl mage or Arcane Order be course we have some diplomancy problem with them.

do anyone have some cool idea to kill a red dragon or just get something from the chamber( an magical staff ). its have a fear check on 29, and i can only get 23-24 as highest. the barbar believe in that the dragon is easily slayed, course my rogue lvl 6 have told them to many bard stories about good guys who kill evil dragons.... any idea to what to do? Im lost!

btw sry for very bad english, Im dane....

notjer said:
Hey all

our gruop class is: 1 rogue lvl 6, 1 rogue lvl 4, 1 lvl7 mage,1 lvl 4 dragon disciple silver, 6 barbar lvl3-4-5, lvl 8-9 barbar leader, archmage summonder, 1 fighter/barbar lvl 4, 1 ranger lvl 4.
we are human and elven and 1 half-elf

we have this problem that we shall slay an old red dragon or our group would be slayed by a hight lvl mage or Arcane Order be course we have some diplomancy problem with them.

do anyone have some cool idea to kill a red dragon or just get something from the chamber( an magical staff ). its have a fear check on 29, and i can only get 23-24 as highest. the barbar believe in that the dragon is easily slayed, course my rogue lvl 6 have told them to many bard stories about good guys who kill evil dragons.... any idea to what to do? Im lost!

btw sry for very bad english, Im dane....

I think it is impossible for your group to slay the dragon, unless a very unusual item, spell or character comes to your help. The Dragon is way beyond your level...

If you are "only" ordered to get a magical staff, you might have to get the dragon out of his lair so someone of you can retrieve the staff. (Even this method might get someone of you killed, depending on the method used to get the dragon out of its lair - or the success of the theft...)

Have you considered talking with the dragon about your "problem"? Maybe he doesn`t like other people ordering helpless adventures to attack him? Or maybe he wants another item in exchange for the staff you have to acquire. (Though this always begs the question why the dragon doesn`t do it himself, but this would be a typical adventure plot)

Or you fight the mage of the Arcane Order. (Obviously, you have to surprise him. But unlike Dragons, Mages have some real weak points - they have real trouble if someone manages to grapple them, and if the mage doesn´t have any defenses up against it during a surprise attack, you might have a chance...)

Mustrum "Never Cut a Deal with a Dragon" Ridcully

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Your party would find a young red dragon (CR7) a tricky challenge. An old red dragon is CR20 - an appropriate challenge for a party of four 20th level characters.

You'd have better luck fighting the mage that is going to try to kill you if you don't commit suicide by attempting to slay the old red dragon.

Darklone

I like Mustrums idea to go to the dragon and ask him "for help". Be sure to bring some food. Like poisoned halflings.

Even with 40 arrows of Greater dragon slaying, your group would be toast if you try to fight.

14 PCs... how many players are you ;)?

Last edited:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Appeal to the Dragon's weakness for flattery and tell it that the Wizard has blackmailed the party into attempting to kill it. Play up the arrogance of the Wizard in sending such a low level party and MAYBE the Dragon will go deal with the Wizard himself.

notjer

First Post
we are 6 PC(soon 7) and the other are npc.
well, when shall we make a fear check? it have fear check 29, thats crazy, how should one of us could talk with the dragon? we will running away at the first sight!
heh i hope that with a poisoned halflings are unserius, it have somthing like 22-25 plus in fortitude save^^

but if we try to strategi by getting the dragon out, then anyone who has a greater idea to do it? even if my rogue is invisibilty and move silently the dragon will could smell me and toast me(I belive). the :):):):)ing dragon is chaoctic evil!

about the mage, we have some problem about the mage, we problely will be dead bye his brothers(the brother is the archmage summonder) and nearly the whole AO will come to slay us, we have slaugted 1 magic school and 1 AO underground liberity+school be cause of a :):):):)ing book,and the :):):):)ing mage have some :):):):)ing gauntlets who made him stronger. he is half-demon and he are can send some power word agains us, thats bad! there are more problems, but thahts arent importan to tell about i thinkso..

I hope that someone will give me a good idea for what to do agains this evil dragon!

or other cool idea, at the moment we are in a very strange kind of big city, worshipper is Pelor, and there are magic everywhere!

I hope u understood what I wrote >.<

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You're definitely in trouble, but that's no reason to swear. :)

There's really no way for you to kill it unless the DM is cheating. How about you have one person act as herald and deliver a letter to the dragon. The letter announces the truth: that you have been hired by a wizard to "kill" the dragon and steal from its hoard. You want to make sure that you give the dragon a portrait of what the wizard looks like, along with his address. Explain that you wouldn't kill the dragon even if you could, but that you know the dragon would find this information interesting. Then - hopefully - you let the dragon take care of your problem for you.

I'm not positive, but I think the dragon fear only kicks in when it attacks or flies overhead. Approach its lair, and you have at least a chance. Just not much of one.

diaglo

Adventurer
what Piratecat said.

and also make sure all of the players make backup characters before the session. so when the dragon or the mage kills your PCs you are ready to go on a different adventure.

Harlock

First Post
notjer said:
we are 6 PC(soon 7) and the other are npc.
well, when shall we make a fear check? it have fear check 29, thats crazy, how should one of us could talk with the dragon? we will running away at the first sight!
heh i hope that with a poisoned halflings are unserius, it have somthing like 22-25 plus in fortitude save^^

but if we try to strategi by getting the dragon out, then anyone who has a greater idea to do it? even if my rogue is invisibilty and move silently the dragon will could smell me and toast me(I belive). the :):):):)ing dragon is chaoctic evil!

about the mage, we have some problem about the mage, we problely will be dead bye his brothers(the brother is the archmage summonder) and nearly the whole AO will come to slay us, we have slaugted 1 magic school and 1 AO underground liberity+school be cause of a :):):):)ing book,and the :):):):)ing mage have some :):):):)ing gauntlets who made him stronger. he is half-demon and he are can send some power word agains us, thats bad! there are more problems, but thahts arent importan to tell about i thinkso..

I hope that someone will give me a good idea for what to do agains this evil dragon!

or other cool idea, at the moment we are in a very strange kind of big city, worshipper is Pelor, and there are magic everywhere!

I hope u understood what I wrote >.<

You :) :) :) :) ing might as well roll over and :D :D :D :D ing die because you guys are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ed

notjer

First Post
I have think about something, in monster manual do they write that the dragon love to eat elven or human, what about some kind of sacrificing some barbar? or are dragon just not interesting in such thing like that(generel)?

what about the summonder, he is brother with this mage, and many from the group is very glad for him, that would be very stupid, they will all kill me >,< but thx for the interesting idea, if u have more of them, plz write 'em!

Remove ads