An alternative to the alternative to RPG!

Angcuru

First Post
Here you can download parts 1 and 2 of Castle of the Winds, which is a free, entertaining, time-consuming old-school kill'em and take their stuff adventure game. It may not look like much, but it's awesome fun. :D

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
I completed part 1 something like ... at least six years ago. The graphics were already obsolete, of course, but the game is fun! Pretty longish too IIRC. I recall that you had to pay for part 2, is it freeware now?

Angcuru

First Post
The software is the same as the original, but I think it has long since been made freeware. I was able to make a character no problem, but I'd like to go through the first one beforehand. :D

Richards

Legend
Hey, I remember that one! I was fortunate enough to find Part 2 (called "Lifthransir's Bane," if I remember correctly) in a bargain bin for $2.00 shortly after finishing the freebie first part. (This was...let me see...about 6 or 7 years ago.)

The most entertainment I've gotten for so little money in a long time.

Johnathan

Angcuru

First Post
Magic Candle, I remember that. Didn't play very far into at, as I was about 9 and the interface was WAY strange.

Anyone ever play The Summoning? Very unique game and play style. A mite monotonous, but fun.

Zappo

Explorer
If you like this game, I'd suggest ZAngband or ToME. They have less story, but a massively superior amount of features (we're talking dozens of races/classes and hundreds of monsters/items) and a somewhat better graphic IMO.

Mercule

Adventurer
Angcuru said:
Magic Candle, I remember that. Didn't play very far into at, as I was about 9 and the interface was WAY strange.

Anyone ever play The Summoning? Very unique game and play style. A mite monotonous, but fun.
Magic Candle was definitely too much work for too little payoff, IMHO.

The Summoning was a blast. I don't remember if I finished it, but I sure had fun.

The game I enjoyed was "Four Crystals of Trazere". Unfortunately, my original disks appear to have wandered too close to a magnet. Oh, well. Probably wouldn't work with WinXP, anyway.

Remove ads