Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!

Von Ether

Legend
On Scifiwire, a story gets into how Vin used his producer status on the "Riddick" film to get Judi Dench cast in the movie, among mentioning that he was amazed at how fantasy-focused Dench was in real life, the article dredges up his DnD angle and how he would have loved to have Dench tossing dice at the table.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-05/26/14.30.film

Though if you ask me, Vin only plays up his DnD angle to get more people to his films.

JPL

Adventurer
Von Ether said:
Though if you ask me, Vin only plays up his DnD angle to get more people to his films.

Because you can't make it in Hollywood these days without reaching out to the RPG crowd?

It's a good way for him to present himself as complicated and multifaceted. You don't expect a guy like Vin to be a D&D player.

Conan O'Brien, yes. Wil Wheaton, hell yes. But not Vin.

tarchon

First Post
Von Ether said:

Yeah, I hate those throngs of Hollywood scenesters that are always showing up at RPG cons.

Von Ether

Legend
JPL said:
Because you can't make it in Hollywood these days without reaching out to the RPG crowd?

It's a good way for him to present himself as complicated and multifaceted. You don't expect a guy like Vin to be a D&D player.

Conan O'Brien, yes. Wil Wheaton, hell yes. But not Vin.
Whether its $15 million or $15.5 million, getting an extra half a million in ticket sales on opening weekend is never bad, especially when all you have to say is "uh, yeah, I still play DnD." Probably the easiest crowd he has to play to. "I am one of you and I am produing a SF movie" SOLD!

Besides your thinking about only about the number of table top gamers, that's not what the entertainment industry thinks about when you say "DnD."

These days when the guys in the board room think DnD, they think Balders Gate, not dice. Just like Marvel comics is tax break for Marvel Entertainment, which pitches the I.P. to movies, WotC is merely a I.P. place holder for Hasbro's (really now Infrogames) video game I.P.s

Hell, the main reason WotC has a new setting coming out is because Hasbro owns the digital rights to Forgotten Realms, and WotC wants their big piece of that video game pie.

Don't forget that while you chuck dice at the table, there are people now calling themselves "roleplayers" Everquest that have never touched a die (I used to date such a girl and we had fun teasing each other on the real definition of being a gamer.)

And Hollywood sees big bucks in console/PC games. In fact, that they blame lower ticket sales on the video game market.

Better yet, anyone been to both E3 AND GenCon? Could someone tell us which is bigger?

Wake up call! we aren't the parent market, we are just a tax break and I.P protection for the real cash cow.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
'Cept Vin's been saying it for a while; even has a tatoo of his character's name...

I don't understand the doubt directed at him for this. The man's coming out to admit he plays D&D, he's 'coolifying' the game, he should be welcomed into the fold. ;)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Von Ether said:
Better yet, anyone been to both E3 AND GenCon? Could someone tell us which is bigger?
In 2004, the E3Expo celebrated its 10th anniversary, and hosted more than 400 exhibitors in 540,000 net square feet of exhibit space -- a total sell-out for the show. Sixty-five thousand industry professionals from 87 countries around the globe gathered at the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) for the four-day interactive entertainment trade show.

Asmor

First Post
Wait, Vin Diesel plays D&D?!?

I was gonna see the new movie anyways because I loved pitch black and I think Vin Diesel kicks ass. That he plays D&D is just icing on the cake!

Remove ads