Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!

JPL

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
I had no idea The Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel! I've never heard of Pitch Black...and that seems to be saying something, since the article says that was Diesel's "most famous role"...which I thought was him in XXX.

"Most famous" is debatable...but I agreed with the Pitch Black reviews that said Riddick was a great character in a bad movie.

Sure, Hollywood is recycling crap. Shakespeare recycled crap. So did Homer. It's a Joseph Campbell thing...each generation retells the great myths in its own way.

Chris Durham

First Post
Perhaps, just perhaps (yes, suspend your cynical, overanalyzing minds for just a sec), Vin Diesel really enjoys playing D&D and isn't embarassed to admit it (as I would guess most of the people on this board are). That's it. No conspiracy. No "angle" that he's playing. He just likes to play the game.
Please. A guy that good-looking, even a girl like Lexa Doig, don't play D&D to be cool. Let's face it. There is no such thing as in-crowd people (the jocks and the preppies who embrace the "Popular" culture) playing D&D. That's like seeing a pimple-faced kid with bottle-framed prescription glasses winning the title of Homecoming King. Or a 90-pounder with fragile bone being a state high school amateur wrestling champion in 200-pound-plus weight class.

There seems to be a defeatist attitude that accompanies the acceptance of geekdom. We've all don it at one point or another: I've been happy to tell people that I'm a guitarist, a martial artist, a software consultant, a skateboarder or a snowboarder; but there's always been a reluctance at admitting I'm a gamer. My friends and I joke about "revealing our shame" to girls we've dated. We know there comes a point in a relationship where you tell the girl "I still play D&D." Actually, this is usually prefaced by "I know this is kind of geeky but..."
My current girlfriend has gotten me over all that. I had gotten to the point of embracing my geekdom; realizing that it was OK to be a geek. After all there were millions of us. But that wasn't enough. Whenever I tole my girlfriend that deep-down I'm really a geek, she got really upset about it. Truth of the matter is I'm not a geek and neither are most of the gamers I've met.
A lot of gamers allow themselves to be thought of as geeks by thinking of themselves that way and that does more than anything to feed the myth that RPGs are for geeks. I understand that a lot of us were nerds in high school, but we're adults now -- get over it. Playing D&D is just as valid a pursuit as playing golf, fixing up cars, or religiously watching ESPN.
None of us should feel that Vin Diesel is validating our lifestyle - just give the man props for not feeling like our lifestyle cramps his style. People saying that he isn't representative of the average gamer are wrong. I'm a gamer. I've been one for 21 years and I'm not a geek.

(Sorry if that was a little warm-and-fuzzy-self-improvement-book-sounding, but ...)

Banshee16

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Please. A guy that good-looking, even a girl like Lexa Doig, don't play D&D to be cool. Let's face it. There is no such thing as in-crowd people (the jocks and the preppies who embrace the "Popular" culture) playing D&D. That's like seeing a pimple-faced kid with bottle-framed prescription glasses winning the title of Homecoming King. Or a 90-pounder with fragile bone being a state high school amateur wrestling champion in 200-pound-plus weight class.

D&D are for freaks n' geeks, and we accept us for who we are ... the outcasts.

Even I don't understand all the baseball and football jocks ... even cheerleaders ... coming out of the wood saying they play D&D. I mean, what's their problem? They should stay on their side of the cafeteria.

Wow....that's a pretty one sided statement. Generally I like your posts Ranger, but I can't agree here. There are *plenty* of people who aren't pimple faced twigs or some other stereotype who play.

Please ignore the rest of my post if your own was meant in jest.

Many fit those stereotypes, but plenty don't. And there are plenty of "geeks" who don't play, and would never play. I've been disabused of these notions every time I forget, and start stereotyping again. I don't fit that stereotype, aside from being introverted. But all through High School and University I was an athlete...playing soccer, football, competitive swimming, life guarding, fencing, kayaking, getting along well with everyone...and gaming some evenings.

Admittedly, I have my gaming buddies, and then my social buddies, and the two don't always mix. But I've had "social buddies" that I hung out with for years, and went out drinking, picking up women, and everything, and then we each found out that the other person was a gamer, and we'd each kept it from the other. Heck, I was shocked when I visited a buddy's place I'd lost touch with over the years. He was a football quarterback, strong, handsome guy, tonnes of women after him, drove a sports car, etc. Visited his place, and what do you know it...he's got Baldur's Gate queued up on the computer in his bedroom, and a stack of Drizzt novels on his shelf. I'd have never guessed in a million years. And these are not lone samples. Another current buddy of mine I hang out with socially...drinking, meeting women, etc. I found out just a few months ago that he'd tried gaming in High School, and had thought it was really cool, but didn't have any groups to join, and didn't know how to meet people who play.

I've also had members of my groups that have fit the stereotypes to a T. Maybe I occupy some weird tail of the bell curve, but I doubt it.

I know sometimes there's a reflexive need to feel that we as gamers have something special....many gamers do put up with intense teasing or ridicule for pursuing their hobby through childhood and adolescence.....so maybe some people find it threatening that some of the very "groups" that perpetrated this kind of discrimination take part in the same passtimes.

Banshee

Von Ether

Legend
Bards R Us said:
And you know this how?
Console games, yes. PC games, IMO, definitely NOT. I could post a truckload of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Uhhhh, last time I checked there were Baldar Gate titles for the Playstation and the Xbox. And we also know that some MMOGs have gone "live" on console. You pretty much have to consider the whole market these days, with a few exceptions.

Googling, I found this on April 14, 2004 on the International Herald Tribune

"In the United States alone, sales of video games and consoles generated $10 billion in revenue last year, surpassing box office ticket sales of $9.5 billion. Hollywood has had mixed success trying to capture some of that popularity by making movies based on computer games.
But that has not stopped directors, actors and others in the movie business from enviously eyeing the video-game business in hopes of tapping some of its energy and riches for themselves.
Computer games represent one of the fastest growing, most profitable entertainment businesses. Making movies, by contrast, is getting tougher and more expensive, now costing, with marketing fees, a staggering average of $103 million per film. That is one reason that those with power in Hollywood are avidly seeking to get into the game business while also reshaping standard movie contracts so they can grab a personal share of game rights.
"There is a great divide that has rarely been crossed," said Joel Silver, the producer of "The Matrix" trilogy, whose creators, Andy and Larry Wachowski, designed games for the second and third "Matrix" movies. But lately, Silver said, with Hollywood directors and studios eager to exploit the appeal of computer games, "everything is changing."
John Woo, the director of "Mission Impossible 2" and "Face/Off," last year formed Tiger Hill Entertainment, an interactive entertainment company, and is now developing for Sega a video game, which he will own outright, about an elaborate heist. At the same time, he hopes to turn the game into a movie.
Ridley Scott, best known for science fiction fantasies like "Blade Runner" and "Alien," as well as the historical epic "Gladiator," has been meeting with video-game company executives, too, arguing that games offer greater creative opportunities these days because they are less expensive to make and not constrained by the roughly two-hour time frame of a conventional movie.
"The idea that a world, the characters that inhabit it and the stories those characters share can evolve with audience participation and, perhaps, exist in a perpetual universe is indeed very exciting to me," said Scott, who is seeking a video-game maker to form a partnership with himself and his brother Tony.
Even studios, which have long regarded video games as just another licensing opportunity like coffee mugs and T-shirts, are looking for an opening into the business.
In January, Warner Brothers Entertainment - which turned down the opportunity to develop games based on "The Matrix" movies - hired Jason Hall, a former video-game company founder, to create, produce and distribute video games. Many in Hollywood wonder if its new Warner Brothers Games brand might eventually rival or even supplant established game publishers like Electronic Arts, the Silicon Valley company that leads the industry.
But for all their superficial production similarities - both often use illustrated storyboards, for example - creating a successful video game relies on different skills and is built on different incentives than making a hit movie.
"You have to remember," said Seamus Blackley, a co-creator of Microsoft's Xbox game player and an agent at Creative Artists Agency, that there is not "some gaping hole that Hollywood is going to come in and fill."
In contrast to a conventional movie, with its narrative structure to be viewed by a passive audience, computer games rely on engaging users in various tasks and challenges that can take the story in many directions.
At the same time, Hollywood has developed a free-agency system in which the most famous and powerful actors and directors demand millions of dollars and receive outlandish perks for lending their talent and name to a project.
In the video-game world, by contrast, the biggest stars are often little-known salaried software developers and creative comic book-style storytellers who are well paid but do not normally receive a direct cut of a game's profit.
"We are not trying to pooh-pooh traditional entertainment," said Neil Young, vice president and a general manager at Electronic Arts, which created the game for "Return of the King."
"But the cultures are very different," he said. "You might be able to get $8 million to direct a film, but making a game like a film is not our objective."
Hollywood may also have an exaggerated sense of the riches to be made from video games. Despite the growing popularity of computer games, when movie ticket sales are combined with DVD sales and home video rentals, the film industry remains a significantly larger business.
Still, it looks like a natural synergy, especially given that video games and movies appeal to the same core audience of teenagers and young adults. And as the technology of games has advanced, they have increasingly taken on the look and feel of film, often relying on actual footage from movies and creating realistic scenes and human characters.
To tap that expertise, the game industry has already turned to movie directors as consultants, paying as much as $250,000 for assignments on everything from rewriting a script to showing a game designer how to shoot a scene. Andrew Davis, the director of "Holes" and "The Fugitive," said he was hired by Ubisoft, which is based in Paris, to help streamline the story line in the company's planned video game of Tom Clancy's "Splinter Cell" series.
"I still want to make movies," said Davis, who declined to say how much he had been paid. But, he added, getting involved as a consultant was a relatively easy way to learn the video game business while keeping his day job.
The New York Times

mac1504

Explorer
Anime Kidd said:
Sorry to be OT.... But in Saving Private Ryan, I don't think he was carrying the BAR. I remember this cause of the scene with the new translator guy asking all those the questions; Vin is carrying an M1 which I thought was rather weird considering someone like that should be able to handle a BAR.

Welverin: You call that teeny-tiny, blurred picture clear? :p

Sorry to continue to be OT :)

You're right- I went and watched the movie after work and he is carrying an M1.

If I was captain Miller, I would've made him carry a .30 MG ;)

Welverin

First Post
Anime Kidd said:
Welverin: You call that teeny-tiny, blurred picture clear? :p

The one I linked to, no. The one in Dragon that I actually read, yes.

The one I linked to is the best I could do with the meager effort I put into searching.

Remove ads