Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!

Asmor

First Post
Dogbrain said:
First, "D&D" is a singular noun, not a plural.

Can be either way, really. It stands for Dungeons & Dragons, after all, both plural nouns. I think using the acronym it would sound better to treat it as singular, but I don't think plural is wrong either.

Pitch Black was a kickass movie. I always wondered how the things survived without any obvious food source, though.

Thanee

First Post
Well, just for the record, I think Dungeons & Dragons, commonly abbreviated to the acronym D&D, is singular, as it is the name for a game and you refer to the game (which is singular) by saying D&D.

Bye
Thanee

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
Von Ether said:
Depending on who you talk to, Vin "exploded" into stardom in either Pitch Black or Fast and Furious, it mostly depends on wether you talking to a SF fan or not. :)

Funny, the first movie I remember him 'exploding' in was Saving Private Ryan... (1998)

Ok. Bad joke. His character simply got shot trying to save a little girl. But it was an earlier role. I forget the character's name and am too lazy to pull out the DVD to find out - he was the big Italian(?) G.I. who carried the big machine gun (50 caliber?).

I agree though, it was not a leading role like the other two examples.

R E

I really don't understand a lot of the posters here. Maybe it's a jaded internet thing.

Perhaps, just perhaps (yes, suspend your cynical, overanalyzing minds for just a sec), Vin Diesel really enjoys playing D&D and isn't embarassed to admit it (as I would guess most of the people on this board are). That's it. No conspiracy. No "angle" that he's playing. He just likes to play the game.

From the interviews I've seen/read where he mentioned D&D, he seemed like a big kid talking about his characters and how he loves the game.

And, in fact, I respect him even more as a D&D player and as a person for admitting it rather than hiding it.

Last edited:

mac1504

Explorer
Raging Epistaxis said:
Funny, the first movie I remember him 'exploding' in was Saving Private Ryan... (1998)

Ok. Bad joke. His character simply got shot trying to save a little girl. But it was an earlier role. I forget the character's name and am too lazy to pull out the DVD to find out - he was the big Italian(?) G.I. who carried the big machine gun (50 caliber?).

R E

Pvt. Adrian Caparzo, and I think he carried a Browning Automatic Rifle (.30 caliber).

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Let's face it. There is no such thing as in-crowd people (the jocks and the preppies who embrace the "Popular" culture) playing D&D.
That's just not true. I've had jocks, cheerleaders, criminals, mechanics, lawyers, models(plural, they were inviting the other models yay!) all at my table cheerfully playing roleplaying games. Now what you WON'T find is the same sort of attitude and personas playing roleplaying games at every table you sit at. While I might agree that a significant majority of my former players have fallen into the "shows up at a con and doesn't shower enough" geektest crowd, there have other tables I've played at where the games involved turning away the "drools at models" crowd so that the everyone could sit down and sanely roll some dice - granted this was mostly VtM, but we got a few to play a few sessions of D&D too. I suppose what I'm saying is that contrary to popular perceptions, roleplaying as a geeky affair of pimpledom isn't an absolute truism. You know how hard it is to get 'normal' and 'cool' people to play in your games? Ask them. That's all I did. And making sure I didn't need a shower and have a tshirt on saying "Live Long And Prosper", that probably helped too. It's not as if the world hasn't HEARD of roleplaying, if you can make it look like a fairly normal activity instead of something that justifies your pariah-hood most people will give it a few hours.

Vin Diesel plays D&D, that's cool. Maybe he's out in Hollywood forcing twelve-siders and orc pie upon those ingrates that want to hand out with him, or actively looking for opportunities to tie in things he's involved with into roleplaying. That would be great. Like a walking, talking, bald D&D commercial.

Welverin

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Perhaps, just perhaps (yes, suspend your cynical, overanalyzing minds for just a sec), Vin Diesel really enjoys playing D&D and isn't embarassed to admit it (as I would guess most of the people on this board are). That's it. No conspiracy. No "angle" that he's playing. He just likes to play the game.

Well in Dragon 320 there is a picture of the cover for 30 Years of Adventure, on which it's clearly says "Forward by Vin Diesel." That should give us good idea of what he really thinks of the game.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Sorry to be OT.... But in Saving Private Ryan, I don't think he was carrying the BAR. I remember this cause of the scene with the new translator guy asking all those the questions; Vin is carrying an M1 which I thought was rather weird considering someone like that should be able to handle a BAR.

Welverin: You call that teeny-tiny, blurred picture clear? :p

Remove ads