how to make a Clothborn fullplate?

notjer

First Post
I tried to ask about it in my old thread, but did not got an answer.

but anyways, how to make this clothborn full plate? in the old pst a person said something about flesh to stone...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Clothborn plate. Gee this takes me back... ;)

You need to be able to cast stone to flesh and have the feat Create Magic Arms and Armor.

notjer

First Post
ok if we said I have this what would be the next? just give me the list for how to do and what I need to making it plz, would be very glad :p

Is this some kind of joke or troll?
Or is it really a powergamer writing there that has a desperate need for something very powerful?
(If it is, I don`t want to appear rude or so - just wondering :) )

And as a side note: Does this item really exist? I first thought it was a joke... :)

Telperion

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Is this some kind of joke or troll?
Or is it really a powergamer writing there that has a desperate need for something very powerful?
(If it is, I don`t want to appear rude or so - just wondering :) )

And as a side note: Does this item really exist? I first thought it was a joke... :)

It is an actual item that was originally printed in Relics and Rituals (don't recall the page anymore) by S&SS. They reprinted the Clothborn armor in Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians (again, the page number escapes me).

There are three things that you need to make Clothborn armor (aside from the usual necessities of creating magical items). A fairly high caster level (I think it was 11, but I'm not sure), able to cast Stone to Flesh and Craft Magic Arms and Armor. After that everything goes by the DMG rules as per' creating armor.

Personally I have never given a single player or NPC of mine this sort of armor, because everyone wants it. It's just that good :). If someone wants Clothborn armor in my campaign then they are going to have fight for it like hell, because no one is going to trade it away without receiving something truly special in return.

EDIT: As per' Scarred Lands rules no one trades magical items for anything else except other magical items.

Last edited:

Telperion

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Hmmm, and functionally how does Clothborn Plate differ from padded armor +7?

The Auld Grump

In no way, except it's a whole lot cheaper to create. BTW: as I recall you can't give armor a greater enhancement bonus than +5, so you actually couldn't create +7 padded armor. +6 would be the best you could do.

Of course this might have been changed in 3.5, but 3.0 limited the enhancement bonuses to +5. You could go above it, but the points after that were for special abilities and such that a magical armor / weapon could posses.

Last edited:

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Telperion said:
EDIT: As per' Scarred Lands rules no one trades magical items for anything else except other magical items.
And you know, I understand why setting books say things like this, really I do.

It's just that, speaking from the perspective of a guy who's been playing an item-crafter in a Scarred Lands game, it falls apart during play. I crafted stuff that I had no intention of using for the specific purpose of selling it for lots and lots of money, just so I could use that money to buy spells, supplies, and all kinds of other stuff. Given the in-setting markup on purchasing magic items, it was like owning my own little gold mine; a few dozen xp and a few days of downtime were able to be freely exchanged for half a bank's worth of hard cash. Well, actually, a fistful of certified bank vouchers, but it's basically the same thing.

And yet somehow NPCs are supposed to remain completely ignorant of this hugely lucrative market? They're going to turn up their nose when an adventuring party with more gold than magic knocks on their door and offers them one and a half to three times the market price of an item? Hell, no. They do what any self-respecting item-crafting PC does in the same situation: they look at the huge profit margin, they look at all the good things they could be spending that money on, and they say very firmly, "Yes, I can make that item for you."

It's only when making the item is going to ding them for months and months of labor and thousands of XP that anyone really draws a line, and that's true in any setting, I think. But the standard magic-item-on-commission business is hard to abolish, no matter what the setting books say, and I can't imagine any half-bright crafter actually preferring to trade their work for a different item rather than cash on the barrelhead.

--
wizards are the most expensive class; they can always use more money
ryan

Telperion

First Post
Herpes Cineplex said:
It's only when making the item is going to ding them for months and months of labor and thousands of XP that anyone really draws a line, and that's true in any setting, I think. But the standard magic-item-on-commission business is hard to abolish, no matter what the setting books say, and I can't imagine any half-bright crafter actually preferring to trade their work for a different item rather than cash on the barrelhead.

--
wizards are the most expensive class; they can always use more money
ryan

Actually I don't see it this way. The ability to create magic items is one of the most powerful things that you can do in D&D, IMO. It is assumed by Core Rules that when a PC levels up you take the necessary downtime to seek training, learn new stuff and generally just put all that XP you just gathered to some good use. For a fighter that means getting new combat feats and for a wizard that might mean getting a item creation feats.

Well, in my campaigns, in the Scarred Lands, item crafters are few and far apart. NPCs who can write you a scroll, brew you a potion or make some one time only Wondrous Item aren't that difficult to find. If you want something more powerful or lasting then you run into a problem: availability.

Clerics don't teach the secrets that their God has given to them for faithful and long service. Selling stuff that has the spark of Divinity (in other words: created with Divine Magic) would be unthinkable.

Wizards are greedy and selfish, so they don't go around teaching their skills or selling their stuff around.

Your average Scarred Lands hero wouldn't trust a sorcerer no further than he can throw one. They are the spawns of titanspawn, fiends and other abominations. Actually: sorcerers are abominations!

Druids? Few trust them and no one wants to be carrying around stuff that was created by a titanspawn.

So, that leaves...hm...bards? They aren't known as great crafters and builders of things (takes too long and they aren't full casters either).

So, the end result is that there are very few Item Creation feats that you can automatically take without any roleplaying in my campaigns. Wizards get Scribe Scroll, and that's about it. There are many things that a prospective crafter can do, whoever. Here are some examples:

Make a deal with a devil.
Work as an agent of a powerful wizard for a few years (usually includes some sort of a Quest).
Become religious and seek a Divine solution to your dilemma.
Or just plain get luckly while raiding a crypt/dungeon/etc.

EDIT: From a crypt/dungeon/etc. a PC could find a manual detailing the basics of creating, say, Magic Arms and Armor. From that basic information he could experiment and start crafting his own magical items. I like tomes :).

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Tel's right.

Most wizards, in their quest to regain spells lost to the mists of time, or abilities heard only in rumors, they aren't always willing to part their personal thaumtargutic(sp) fields just because "gee you have gold." What can gold by you that a spell like Immortality can? Or be able to summon fiends from beyond? Oh a nice staff? Well if I want a nice staff I'll have my fiends make me one.

Clerics have their own goals and they don't include using the gold they get to make some impious adventurer a nice sword. Now if you've slain a few of their foes, they might have something in the back for you, but we'd like something in return.

The Item creation character will find the market for permanent magic items isn't as good as other places since self interest plays a huge role in most NPCs lives. Hell even Anteas doesn't spend HOURS crafting new items if he doesn't have to. He just commissions it to some poor shmoe that will do because he likes to keep his head on his shoulders.

Now this isn't to say you can't get a good potion in the right city or find a nice wand maker. But don't expect to find guys selling magically swords or armor right next to the guy selling less quality items. Paladins also have a large market hold on such items because their god is a crafting god. So you know if Corean decides to keep a certain item out of the loop, he will ensure it stays out. That's internal consistancy for you.

(Btw I like Cloth Born armor and yes there is no epic level armor at the moment in the Scarred Lands. So this has to do.)

Remove ads