how to make a Clothborn fullplate?

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Telperion said:
It is assumed by Core Rules that when a PC levels up you take the necessary downtime to seek training, learn new stuff and generally just put all that XP you just gathered to some good use. For a fighter that means getting new combat feats and for a wizard that might mean getting a item creation feats.
Oh, I get it. You actually limit the item creation feats, huh? As in, a PC wanting to learn Craft Wondrous Items needs to find an NPC who already knows Craft Wondrous Items to learn it from?

Interesting.

But I still say that this:
Wizards are greedy and selfish, so they don't go around teaching their skills or selling their stuff around.
...is only half-true, which is why "no one sells magic items" flies in the face of actual play. The rarer the skill is, the more money (or favors, or whatever) the skilled can charge for their services. And since wizards are always having to pay out the nose for things (spells via research or other wizards, putting those spells in a book, etc.), their greedy and selfish little heart will tell them to go ahead and schedule a few days of crafting-on-commission here and there. (And to be clear, all I'm talking about is commissioned work; not stores filled with +1 swords waiting for a window-shopper to stop in and buy one, just guys who will take money to make a particular sword +1.)

Being the only guy who can accept commissions (because you're the only one who isn't on the move constantly and who actually has the appropriate feat) just makes accepting commissions more attractive, I think. You can set whatever price you want and still find enough buyers to sate your thirst for expensive knowledge. Spell research is not a hobby for the poor. ;)

Unless there's a rule I'm missing that changes how expensive everything is for wizards, anyway. But at 100gp/spellbook page, 1000gp/week/spell level for new research, high-priced spell components and foci, market price (or higher) for scrolls, plus the usual "please be willing to teach me that spell" bribe money to higher-level wizards so you can get your hands on that new spell in the first place, I don't see how it makes any sense for all crafters everywhere to turn their noses up at mere coinage, when they have so many things that they need to spend money on. It'd be like a race-car driver saying he didn't need gasoline or mechanics or spare parts.

--
and even in the scarred lands, adventurers seem to have a lot of disposable income

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My point would be...

Since when is every single member of a class identical? What is this, some bizarre world where being a member of a class requires you to hand in your personality at the door? Great roleplaying that makes for.

"Wizards are greedy and don't like to share their knowledge" is one of the stupidest cliches I've yet to see anywhere. Take a look at the real world someday - significant sections of the academic community have always been totally willing to go out of their way to spread their own inventions and knowledge far and wide, especially for the promise of lots of money. Hell - even the most secretive of the lot, master craftsmen, have sold the items they create, not hoarded them.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Uhm Sag,

That's how ALL SL wizards are. Even the good natured ones.

Herpes,

Yes adventurers have disposable income but who would rather be commissoned by, a government, which can control and often enforce greater standards or some rag tag group that may or may not come back to pay for their stuff?

Gez

First Post
In Relics & Rituals, clothborn was incompatible with any other enchantment. It had a "+X cost" equal to the AC bonus of the armor (so an armor giving +8 to AC would cost 64 000 gp to make it clothborn), and the incompatibility prevented to have any other kind of magic -- including enhancement bonus.

Was this kept in the Player's Guide version? I would understand them doing away with it (it's nonstandard), just as them keeping it (otherwise it's easy to abuse).

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Nightfall said:
Yes adventurers have disposable income but who would rather be commissoned by, a government, which can control and often enforce greater standards or some rag tag group that may or may not come back to pay for their stuff?
Actually, I think adventuring crafters (or crafters who just want to take a few commissions here and there when they need some quick cash to fund their REAL work) might actually prefer the less regimented (and more volatile, hence potentially more lucrative) adventurer clientele.

And, obviously, potential deadbeats like adventurers have to pay up front. The advantage is all on the side of supply, so the crafter can set some pretty heinous terms and still have people eager to hand their loot over to him.

--
i think i've been corrupted by having our game set in shelzar ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Gez said:
In Relics & Rituals, clothborn was incompatible with any other enchantment. It had a "+X cost" equal to the AC bonus of the armor (so an armor giving +8 to AC would cost 64 000 gp to make it clothborn), and the incompatibility prevented to have any other kind of magic -- including enhancement bonus.

Was this kept in the Player's Guide version? I would understand them doing away with it (it's nonstandard), just as them keeping it (otherwise it's easy to abuse).
It's still the same. You can't enchant it further.

Herpes,

Well while it's my home town, yes Shelzar is a pretty corrupt city. Just not as toleratant of undead like Hollowfaust. Also though remember if you do a startup, the competition (namely House Asuras) will probably not take too kindly on interlopers. So you have that to consider as well...

But also another factor, said adventurers MIGHT get it into their heads to kidnap and force said commissioner of stuff to make just cause they say so. Again goverments protect their own, much like churches do.

Last edited:

Bauglir

First Post
Gez said:

Wouldn't that make it kinda pointless?

Clothborn Full Plate: 64,000GP
+7 Padded Armour: 49,000GP

Hmm just remembered the epic item x10 multiplier.. Still the point stands for all the medium/light armours...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Bauglir said:
Wouldn't that make it kinda pointless?

Clothborn Full Plate: 64,000GP
+7 Padded Armour: 49,000GP

Hmm just remembered the epic item x10 multiplier.. Still the point stands for all the medium/light armours...

The Guide to Fighters & Barbarians lists the price as 21,500 gp flat.

So, it is cheaper (less than half the price), and has a higher than maximum bonus.

Not in my game, this is one broken item.

The Auld Grump

Terraism

Explorer
Nightfall said:
It's still the same. You can't enchant it further.
Technically, Nightfall, that's not quite true. The exact phrasing says that "Clothborn armor rarely has enhancement bonuses beyond the armor's inherent armor bonus" (Emphasis added.) There's nothing that says it can't have an enhancement bonus added, and, at only 21,500 GP (for any type? I assume this should be read as +21,500 GP, as a masterwork boost,) it very well could be.

Remove ads