Campaign Length

JesterPoet

First Post
Does your group run one long involved campaign, or lots of short ones?

Do you vary the systems, or only play one thing?

Which do you prefer? Do you like the in-depthness (hey, I'm an English major, I'm allowed to make up words) of a long-running campaign, or do you like the variation of playing lots of different things in short bursts?

Are you wearing jewelery right now? Do you normally?

As for me... I play with different groups that do both. One is running a long campaign in Kalamar, one I'm DMing in Midnight (another long-runner) and the other switches games every few weeks.

I like long-running campaigns myself, but at the same time, there's always new stuff I want to try running. I guess as a player I like one long campaign, and as a GM I like to mix it up.

I do wear my wedding ring, and my college ring. Used to have more, but don't really wear anything else anymore.

Wombat

First Post
For a fair length of time (about a year and a half) we have had a single campaign in our group -- then again, we only meet every other week, so take that as you will. In general we like to have one "main campaign" and then the odd session or two out for something else -- some of us will get together on the "odd" weekends and play like a one-shot Paranoia game or a two-session superhero game.

Overall we prefer the continuity of a long campaign, with developing backgrounds, lots of characters and places we get to know, enduring villains, etc.

Short games are fun as a change of pace and to force focus on the group. Usually with the short ones we don't even worry about experience points (or equivalent thereof).

While our last campaign was D20 and the next serious one will be AU (thus D20), we are not really "wedded" to a system; this is a strong chance that we will be running an Exalted campaign after my AU campaign and I keep trying to convince the gang that Ars Magica would be cool. ;) The "between" games have used many differnent systems -- Fuzion, Paranoia, WoD, Over the Edge. Different game systems map specific ideas better than others; no one system is inherently better than others.

Oh, and I am wearing a Mad Hatter earring in my left ear.

I DM long running D&D campaigns. I'm not seeing that in as positive light as I once did however. There is so much so soon for D&D 3.5 that things seem diluted (for instance having a swashbuckler, tank, and cleric of freedom all together suspends my suspension of disbelief). I'm considering doing one story arc with Terran Empire with the Hero System and then going back to a story arc in D&D. Mix things up.

Wedding ring. One ring to rule them all style minus the funny elvish writing and heat resistance. What's up with the jewelry question (or do I not want to know)?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Does your group run one long involved campaign, or lots of short ones?

We have two games. RttoE and a buch of one-offs.

Do you vary the systems, or only play one thing?

Typcial fantasy D&D. Every now and then we break out the d20 Modern but not as much as I originally hoped.

Do you like the in-depthness of a long-running campaign, or do you like the variation of playing lots of different things in short bursts?

Both, hence the reason we do both.

Are you wearing jewelery right now?

Wedding ring. Only jewelery I've ever worn outside of a two month period where I wore a small amulet I got in the SCA at Pennsic War.

Gideon

First Post
At the moment only playing in long term campaigns, all d20 D&D.
Probably gonna start some short term other stuff. d20 star wars SLA and maybe a WoD. Summer frees up time for me still.

Wear watch, necklace, and irish heart/crown/hand ring(can't remember how to even apporxiamte the spelling of the name). All presents from my fiance.

Crothian

First Post
We like the idea of long run camapngs but they are hard to do. I ran a 9 month one that is on hiatus due to lack of time, but we should continue it in a few months.

Alynnalizza

First Post
one long derived campaign...... (4 'different' adventures to get to one final point. 4 'books', each with a different set of characters.)

One system.

Love long derived campaigns. (would like to play in either campaign type.)

Jewelry?--- Wedding ring, always.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Barsoom has been running for years. Up to session 96 or something like that now. Not a SUPER long-lived campaign but pretty substantial.

Dead Man's Chest lasted about eight sessions over a three-month period. I'm planning another short campaign for Iron Lords of Jupiter.

So, both.

Wedding ring. Claddach.

Emiricol

Long-term, broken into shorter, distinct "chapters", for D&D. This time around. Last campaign was a long, long quest.

Except for the Freedom City Play by Post (M&M), where it is mostly shorter stuff.

Remove ads