Do people want hand-drawn maps anymore?

psyekl

First Post
A note to the reader: In this post I'm focusing on published works, and am by no means picking on any computer artist/cartographer. Not everyone has the time, patience or skill to make detailed maps by hand, and I've seen many fantastic maps/floorplans done on the computer. I'm merely asking for an opinion regarding this train of thought.

I've always preferred hand-drawn maps over computer generated, but with the speed and accuracy of the newer cartography programs it's no longer practical to pay an artist to spend days on a map by hand that can be done in hours on a computer. Does anyone even want hand-drawn maps anymore?

As a draftsman I recognize the value of being able to produce work accurately and quickly, but for games and stories that rely on setting a mood to enhance the imagination of the players/readers, I actuallly think it's important that the maps fit the genre. While computer-generated maps and floorplans are great for modern settings, I'm of the opinion that fantasy settings should have at least some hand-drawn maps (especially the main maps and player's maps).

I do use AutoCAD for some of my fantasy drawings because it does allow for a level of detail not normally seen in Campaign Cartographer or similar programs, and if done right will not look too "perfect". Ultimately I end up drawing my fantasy floorplans by hand, and while they take a week or two to complete the finished product is much more appealing. I've never tried to use a computer for mapping, and I've been known to work up to 200 hours on a single map. This may not be practical for working within a deadline, but the results are far better in my opinion. I've included some of my work if you're curious (who am I kidding, I just want to show off)!

I for one would like to see more hand-drawn maps and floorplans!

Attachments

• Caellend Sample.jpg
    Caellend Sample.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 341
  • city.jpg
    city.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 288
  • Castle sample.jpg
    Castle sample.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 262

Wow, those are nice! I especially like the world map. Any chance you could host that somewhere with a larger file size so it can be viewed without the distortion?

I actually prefer hand drawn maps, although thats not to say that I can't appreciate a well done computer drawn map. There are advantages to both, but if given a choice, I'd prefer to see a map made by a skilled hand. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but most computer art, even most good computer art, looses something that a hand drawn or painted image has.

James Heard

Explorer
A really good computer assisted map will usually look like it was hand drawn but have features that you just can't get with a single layer source. Really, with a tablet there's just no excuse. Well, I suppose if you exclusively correct 'errors' and use a vector program or something with a very limited amount of tiles - but that's just not saying you couldn't produce something like your handdrawn maps on a computer. It's a tool, nothing more. It is no more soul-sucking than using a ruler to straighten a line or using a copier to chase away pencil marks before you ink. Granted though, I'm getting really tired with CCPro maps, however well they're done they're just not usually using an awfully varied symbol set. The Harn map stuff is pretty nice though, relaxing in the sameness even.

Omote

First Post
in one word: YES! Computer drwan maps while some are very good, to me just don't capture the flavor of a fantasy setting. However, as mentioned abouve, a good computer cartographer can make maps that look hand drawn. But there is just that little something to me that is missing from a computer drawn map. One thing I would like to see from all potential cartographers-by-hand; don't forget to add detail! There are too many maps out there that don't focus hard enoguh on detail. It is the little things on maps that make me smile, and make gaming (or DM more specifically) a bit easier at times.

...........................Omote
FPQ

Raven Crowking

First Post
When all of these really neat mapping programs came out, I started to drool. I have been hand-drawing my maps for years and years (with various qualities of output), and I thought "Aha! Now I can have professional-looking maps!" But the sad fact was that it was the act of drawing the map physically that really put me in touch with the setting I was creating. Yeah, I occasionally use other people's maps when appropriate (and have for years), but if I am making the map it has to be pen-and-paper.

RC

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Pay an artist? No, no, no... You have it all wrong. What you need to do is get a cartographer with a vivid imagination, give them tidbits of the campaign and watch them go. We have a closet cartographer (someone who took it in school but never did it as a profession) who loves my DM's world and has done all 30 + maps.

Hand drawn, hands down. Hell, a chimp with a crayon can make a map but at least it is hand drawn. I have tried the multiple computer cartographers and some have been decent, but they don't have the same feel. However, you get a good coffee stain on a napkin and quickly draw an outline? POOF! There is an island now added onto the campaign. Just gotta know where to look.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Since I cannot draw a lick I don't mind if they are hand-drawn or computer aided.
I think it is really up to how you use it.
Maps for DM's I like clean, sharp and very detailed.
For my players I love handdrawn maps which are not detailed and not 100 percent accurate. IMO since in my world they don't have gps and super accurate survey equipment you do the best you can with what you get. ;)

Arnwyn

First Post
If I'm purchasing a product, I much much prefer hand-drawn.

Well, I should be more clear - I don't really care how the maps are done as long as they look hand-drawn.

If a map looks too much like some computer-made picture, it'll guarantee that I won't buy a product with that in it.

mroberon1972

First Post
arnwyn said:
If a map looks too much like some computer-made picture, it'll guarantee that I won't buy a product with that in it.

You won't buy a product due to a style choice instead of quality level? :\

I'm not picking on you, but let's be honest: There are a lot better reasons to judge a product...

Great maps by the way! Your sense of style shows a lot in those.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I much prefer hand drawn maps, but I think there are probably ways to marry the two techniques to get a good result.

For my own maps, I almost always hand draw the basic outlines, then scan it in and manipulate/color/add text in Photoshop. Especially for world maps and city maps. Individual building maps I either do hand drawn and use it in that form, or I create the whole thing in Photoshop.

Remove ads