[3.5] Answering the Call

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The valley of Haven was once a peaceful land. Its crops were abundant, and its citizens prosperous. Elves, dwarves, halflings, and humans lived together in harmony. Guarding the pass through the Thunder Mountains, Haven was a safe place to live, with sweet rivers and pleasant weather. No one remembers how and why Haven remained so peaceful despite its proximity to the monster-infested Thunder Mountains. What is remembered is the last ruler of Haven, the Princess Argenta. She lived in a palace of white shining marble, which glowed like silver when the sun set. Princess Argenta was beloved by all her people for her justness.

Old timers also remember the start of the trouble. On the anniversary of Argenta's birth, the dwarves brought her a priceless ruby the size of an apple. When the ruby, called My Lady's Heart, was presented to Argenta, disaster struck. Dark clouds hid the moon and a freezing wind blew through the valley. The crops withered in the fields. Cattled died. From the palace came an explosion that breeched parts of the walls. When the dust cleared, it could be seen that a ruby glow surrounded the entire palace.

That was nearly a century ago. The people of Haven mostly fled to the south, into the neighboring Realm. Unfortunately, the forces of evil have started to test the Realm's borderlands. Evil creatures -- orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and worse -- have infested a warren of caves now called the Caves of Chaos. The brave defenders of Borderland Keep are hard-pressed. And so the call went out: Adventurers needed!

You and your companions have answered that call. You have traveled for many days, leaving the Realm and entering the wilder area of the Borderlands. Farms and towns have become less frequent and travellers few. The road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country. Ahead, up the winding road atop a sheer-walled mount of stone, looms Borderland Keep. Here, at one of civilization's strongholds between the Realm and cursed valley of Haven, you plan to base yourselves and equip for forays against the wicked monsters who lurk in the wilds. Somewhere nearby, amidst the dark forests and tangled fens, are the Caves of Chaos where the fell creatures lair.

[sblock=OOC Instructions]Take a bit of time to introduce and describe your characters. Assume you all know each other, having decided to travel together to Borderland Keep in search of the unknown.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
"Well, there be our goal," booms Orinar's deep, bass voice to his companions, as he pauses to rest a moment and consider the scene ahead. The giant-kin was large, towering head and shoulder over any of his companions, and strong, with corded, iron-hard muscles; still, even he wasn't immune to the effects of a long march in heavy armor, with a pack full of gear. Sweat beaded on the sides of his head, where the hair had been shaven away, and Orinar wiped it away with the back of one gauntleted hand. Only along the crown of his skull did Orinar's raven black hair grow long, which he then braided and wore flowing down the center of his back. The warrior believe it to make him look more fierce; not that the imposing brute really needed to look anymore fierce. His sheer size, cold eyes and scowling face generally accomplished that task well enough.

"I hope that place has something that serves as a tavern. A mug or two of cool ale would do me well."

Orinar Giantsblood:

Runewind

First Post
"I'll be happy as long as they have chairs" Said Menno who surely seemed like a timidly squeaking mouse in comparison to the rather large and fierce looking half-giant he stood near. He is a little under average human height, making him seem all the smaller near someone so imposing.

Standing to the side of the group, draping his hands over the spear he held on his shoulders, Menno looked at the keep. "We've been at this for days." he said in a tired voice.

Rhun

First Post
"Ha," laughs the Giantsblood, slapping his slight companion on the back, with almost enough force to tumble him. "And perhaps they'll be some wenches, eh? Though on this rugged frontier, I'm certain they won't have much in the way of looks!" Orinar laughs loudly, his good natured side showing through his imposing stature.

Runewind

First Post
"...and that's going to stop you?" Said Menno with a big grin and a small laugh after standing erect after taking such a heavy slap to his back. He was always quick of wit and rarely restrained himself from making light of a situation or person.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Orinar and Menno come to the fork in the road. To the south, the Winding River can be heard rushing over rocks as it races back to the southwest. The lesser used branch of the road heads more or less due east, through the Silent Woods toward the ruins of Haven.

The northern branch leads to Borderland Keep, which is now little more than 300 yards away. The keep sits atop a sheer-walled mount of stone. It represents the last bastion of civilization, facing down the inhospitable wilderness beyond.

The pair of adventurers move up the narrow, rocky track. A sheer wall of natural stone is on their left. The path falls away to a steep cliff on the right. There is a small widening ahead, where the main gate to the keep is. The blue-clad men-at-arms who guard the entrance from atop the wall snap to attention as they see Orinar and Menno approach.

One of them calls down, "State your names and your business!"

All along the wall, Orinar and Menno see curious faces peering down. Their expressions are welcoming, but their readied halberds and crossbows speak a silent warning to would-be troublemakers.

Rhun

First Post
"Ha, of course it won't stop me, my friend. I've the same tastes as my father. How do you think I came to be?" The half giant breaks into another bomming laugh, and then points ahead to the keep. "Let us continue on, and see what this day holds for us!" Orinar smiles and heads off toward their destination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the call from the guards, Orinar pulls up sharp and holds his hands up in a gesture of peaceful greeting. Sometimes judged by his size, he didn't like to take chances that someone might mistake him as a short ogre, and attack without giving him a chance to speak. "We come in peace, friends. I am Orinar, called the Giantsblood, and this is my companion Menno. We have heard your call that adventurers are sought, and have answered. We come in your time of need, to offer our services."

Runewind

First Post
Following shortly behind his companion Menno walked in a relaxed manner taking in all the scenery as they approached the keep. His chin-length, dark russet, fine hair wafting about carelessly with every step as he glided across the path in the shadow of his large friend.

--

"So if you let us in we can get to killing things for you all the sooner." Said Menno half-jokingly to clear himself of his nervousness that always happened to occur when polearm and crossbow wielding authorities were involved.

Rhun

First Post
Orinar smiles and nods as Menno adds his words, and the whispers to his companion. "And hopefully they're payin', 'cause I ain't got but a coupla gold coins to my name."

Runewind

First Post
Looking up toward his mountain of a partner Menno whispered "I should hope they're paying. That warm and fuzzy feeling from helping others won't do much to feed us." with a deadpan tone and only the slightest of smirks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases