[3.5] Answering the Call

Rhun

First Post
I just noticed that Rayex appears to be on vacation through the middle of August...he might need to be NPC'd temporarily.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
for those who have not seen or heard, Marc the dm here is fighting the real life dragon named neuem-ployment and is slightly delayed from posting. on hhis behalf, i ask for patience from all, especially myself.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Orinar, Menno, Branden, and the halfling Xaiel enjoy a fine meal and some lively conversation. The other table of adventurers keep their conversation low except when laughing or cursing. The gnome on the harpsichord keeps up a frenetic pace, running through an assortment of bawdy ballads. After about an hour, a soldier enters the tavern. The gnome stops playing, and the soldier speaks loudly:

"All adventurers are to report to the chapel near the inner gatehouse within the quarter hour!"

And with that, the soldier about faces and leaves.

The table led by the dwarf lets loose a stream of curses and complaints as they gather up their gear and trudge out of the tavern. After a bit, Orinar and company follow. The chapel is reached by heading back toward the west and then north through the alley between the smithy and the provisioner. What appear to be two private residences sit across a courtyard from a two-story guildhouse. North of these structures is a long courtyard running east to west in front of the inner gatehouse that protects the inner bailey.

The chapel stands several yards east of the inner gatehouse, flush with the wall that divides the outer and inner baileys. The chapel has a peaked roof two stories tall. The unmistakable martial symbol of Hieroneous shines boldly in stained glass above the open double doors. The interior is one large room about 60 feet deep and 20 feet wide. A prominent altar occupies the eastern end of the chapel. Another stained glass window depicting Hieroneous in full regalia rises behind the altar. This window is 20 feet tall and 8 feet wide. Aside from the dwarf-led party from the tavern, there are five other adventurers present, including a tall man with silvery hair and a breastplate, sitting alone in the first pew.

Once everyone is seated, a silence settles over the chapel. Time passes. Restlessness grows, and whispered conversations ensue. Snippets can be overheard:

"...merchant imprisoned in the caves. Maybe there's a reward..."

"...wizard who destroys intruders in the caves..."

"...nobody returned from the caves alive..."

"...more than one orc tribe in the caves..."

A sharp rap! rap! rap! -- metal against stone -- brings all talking to an abrupt halt. Entering the sanctuary from a door to the north of the altar is an ancient human, leaning heavily on an ironshod staff. He wears ceremonial plate armor polished to a mirror finish. As he walks, he speaks, his voice's strong and clear.

"Welcome to Borderland Keep. I am Curate Anselm, and you're hear because you've answered the call to assist us against the forces of evil that menace this frontier. As such, you answer to me. When you were admitted to the keep, you were told by the corporal of the watch about the necessity of signing in and out. There are other laws that must be obeyed, chief of which is this: The inner baily is forbidden to you unless specifically invited. Obey the laws of Borderland Keep, and you can be of good service. Break these laws, and you will answer for your transgression. In these matters, I am judge and jury. There is no court of appeal."

Now in position before the altar, Curate Anselm waits until his last words stop echoing.

"If you don't like what you hear, depart now." He waits again. Someone coughs. Another mutters something. No one gets up to leave. "Very well, then. Questions?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Since he doesn't hear anyone else stepping up at first, the young man of the silvery hair stands up from his seat at the front. He salutes Curate Anselm and speaks briskly, "Sir, do we have any standing orders? Specific targets, strategic goals, or operational parameters? A situational overview, sir?" He sits back down as soon as he finishes speaking, breastplate armor clanking slightly as he goes. Somebody further back in the church stifles a laugh.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
A moment later, Orinar's voice echoes through the chapel, despite his best effort to keep it low. The giant-kin just wasn't built for speaking lightly. "And how are we to be paid?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Sorry for the hold up. Been under the weather. :(

Curate Anselm answers, "As of now, the most pressing need seems to be clearing out the so-called Caves of Chaos northeast of here. If you head that way, it is safest to follow the road for about a mile after it turns northward. The Caves of Chaos honeycomb a draw west to northwest of the road at that point. There are also lizard men in the swamps southwest of here, but they only infrequently venture to our side of the river. We know also there is a gang of bandits in the area. It is possible they are holed up south of here in the forest between the two rivers.

"As for pay, we are offering a bounty on kobolds, orcs, goblins, ogres, and hobgoblins. Per right hand, we pay 15 gp for kobolds, 25 gp for goblins, 75 gp for orcs and hobgoblins, and 450 gp for ogres. Bounties are disbursed through the merchant's guild. There is no current bounty on lizard men, nor on the bandits. The bandits are human, and the Realm frowns upon bounties on such criminals, and the lizard men haven't been enough of a nuisance.

"Now, if there are no further questions, I have other duties to attend to."

Rhun

First Post
"Ha," says Orinar, smiling down at the small man next to him. "Did you hear that, Menno? We'll be rich in no time." The brute stands and flexes, his huge muscles twitching as he does so. "And for killing scum? This has to be the best job ever."

Arkhandus

First Post
The well-armored fellow turns about after Curate Anselm's finished, and asks the assembled mercenaries and adventurers "Well, do any of you want to organize a united front, or do you all prefer to work alone? If you fancy slaying some orcs and returning alive to drink away the bounties, like I do, you might want to consider the former." He crosses his arms and waits a few minutes, before deciding whether or not to head out on his own.

(ooc: Attempting to get things moving again...anyone else still here?)

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Orinar moves to consider the man who had made the offer of presenting the organized front. He smiles as he regards the smaller man. "If you can handle your blade well, than I'm all for joining forces. We'll kill us some scum, earn us some gold, and drink us some ale! Har!" The massive man lets out a thundering laugh.

Remove ads