• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Squash Those Bugs! (DM: Dekana, Judge: ?)

Vertexx69

First Post
OOC: The last swarm gets to shift 3 after its hit by the area attack, so who knows where it will be when you hit. But it probably won't be in the zone at the start of its turn.

Dekana

Explorer
The burst of fire that Emsy conjures up has a devastating effect on the centipede swarm. Most of the bugs explode into flame and curl up into tiny charred balls. A group of centipedes splinter off from the swarm and bolt from the fire, but Lenyara gives chase and makes short work of them.

After a few tense moments pass, it becomes apparent that there are no more bugs lurking in the shadows. The fight is over. After the party takes a few minutes to rest and tend to their injuries, Nicodemus brings his light to bear on the other half of the room, he sees at least a dozen skeletons lying near the western wall. Most of the remains are of humans and kobolds, although there are also one or two bodies for each of the other civilized races. The skeletons are mostly fully clothed and armored in some cases - it appears the centipedes picked away their victims' flesh and left their belongings untouched.

Most of the items of the deceased are mundane, with 2 notable exceptions. Labraundos spots a goliath skeleton wearing a heavy set of plate armor that he thinks would fit him. Flervin meanwhile inspects an unassuming human-sized oak staff that a kobold skeleton is grasping. Despite its plain looks, Flervin determines that the staff is indeed magical.

[sblock=Treasure!]Labraundos: The goliath skeleton is wearing Verve Plate Armor +1 (AV p.54). If Labraundos feels uneasy about taking goods from the dead, he will get the distinct feeling that the goliath would want Labraundos to carry his armor in battle, provided he pays appropriate honors to the deceased.

Flervin: The staff is a Staff of Ruin +1 (AV p.106). I don't see a wishlist in Flervin's character sheet, so let me know if you would like a different kind of staff and I can try to accommodate.[/sblock]
GM: Vertexx69 is correct; swarm 2 uses Survival Instinct to shift to K8 when it is hit by Emsy's Argent Rain. However, K8 is still well within Lenyara's attack range, so I'll assume she moves to make her attack. Lenyara also won't take aura damage because the swarm shifted away before she took her turn.

Ashurn: 19/22, 1 surge used
Emsy: 24/24
Flervin: 22/30
Labraundos: 11/30 (his last post says 14/30 - he also took 3 aura damage this turn), 2 surges used
Lenyara: 34/41
Nicodemus: 30+4/30

Please let me know how many, if any, healing surges you'll use. I'm okay with the group taking back-to-back short rests in order to maximize Emsy's healing, as long as the party understands that there are risks to standing in one place for too long.

Regarding Emsy: I'm a little hesitant to have the party's only healer leave the group. Can someone volunteer to post Emsy's turns in combat? If not, I'll go ahead and run her as a DMPC.

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: Moving away actually makes things worse for the swarm- it opens up a possible charge and vanguard weapon damage, among other things... Lenyara will use one surge to top up on HP.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Lenyara took a few moments to catch he breath, but thankfully her own injuries were minor. After cleaning all of the bug guts off her weaponry she began to check the cavern they were in for any traces of further bugs.

OOC: Switch Aspect to Soaring Hawk. During the short rest, use her Wilderness Tracker knack to examine the cavern- looking for where bugs might have entered or exited, or traces of other creatures. Perception with Soaring Hawk is +11, roll is 26- DC is unknown..

Wilderness tracker: During a short rest, you can make a Perception check (DC determined by the DM) to inspect the area around you. This area can be as large as 10 squares on a side. If your check succeeds, you determine the number and nature of the creatures that have moved through the area in the past 24 hours. You ascertain when and where they entered the area, as well as when and where they left.

Neil1889

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yep, sorry, I forgot about the aura damage. Labraundos will use 2 healing surges.

Vertexx69 is doing a fine job with Emsy, but I don't mind chipping in as well. With healing and the burst spell, she's pretty useful!

I've also noticed that Emsy has:

Song of Rest
  • When resting, as long as Emsy plays an instrument, she and her allies regain 4 additional hitpoints per healing surge spent.

However, she doesn't have an instrument! I was going to add the Song of Rest to Labraundos' surges when I noticed the oversight.

Anyway, I love the armour, thanks for looking Dekana. If Labraundos does go down swinging (Minotaur ability), he'll likely wake up again, though still prone, at the end of his next turn with this armour's Daily ability (can for no action make a saving throw as a 20 once per day).
[/sblock]

As the others go about their business, Labraundos stood over the poor Goliath's bones whilst he recovered from the fight. He asks Emsy if she can tell if there is anything unusual about the fine armour that the Goliath is wearing; when she confirms the enchantment, Labraundos says a prayer, "May Joven encourage the Other's to send your soul on it's way home." He removes the enchanted armour from the Goliath's skeleton and then with it replaces his own.

"If fate smiles, I shall sacrifice later for you and your companions, Warrior."

[sblock=Mini-stats]
Labraundos

Male Minotaur Paladin, Level 1.
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 14. Senses: None.
AC: 19, Fort: 15, Reflex: 11, Will: 15.
HP: 25/30, Bloodied: 15, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 9/13
Speed: 5 squares. Size: Medium. Languages: Allarian, Hzakan.
Saving Throw Bonuses: Nothing to report.
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Goring Charge
Second Wind
Vicious Backswing
Virtue’s Touch [Used 1 out of 4 uses]
Divine Challenge
Ardent Strike
Valiant Strike
Divine Strength
Divine Mettle
Divine Pursuit
Blood of the Mighty
Verve Armour +1 (Plate) - Daily Power

Conditions: None.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Emsy]Emsy - Bard
Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 13
AC: 16, Fort: 11, Ref: 12, Will: 15
Initiative: +1; Speed: 5
HP: 25/25, Temp HP:
Bloodied: 12, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 8/8
Powers:
Staggering Note
Jinx Shot

Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes [ ]
Virtue of Prescience class feature [ ]
Majestic Words [ ][ ]
Words of Friendship [ ]
Prophesied Strike [ ]
Argent Rain [ ]
Second Wind [ ]
Action Point [ ]

Arrow of Warning [ ]
Ardent Surge [ ]

Character Sheet[/sblock]

Last edited:

PierceSG

First Post
OOC: Not using any surges at the moment. Since I'm already at 19/22, all thanks to Emsy's Majestic Word. But can I do a perception roll to search the room further for anymore stuffs? Maybe coins or gems worth selling? :p

FlervaFlerv

First Post
Flervin takes a deep breath in the aftermath of his first encounter. He sees his new friends taking a brief moment to collect themselves, shifts back in to his dwarf form, and does the same in turn. He perks up at the sight of the newly found staff, his eyes beaming with anticipation to use the new powers against the next onslaught of foes.

"This should do nicely." He says with a slightly hidden happiness.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Shapeshift back in to Normal Form
Use 1 healing surge @ +7Hp, +2 with thanks to Emsy (unless I misread something)
Equip Staff of Ruin +1
[/sblock]

OOC: Still waiting to get home to update the Wiki, but will be sure to do so before I head to bed this evening.

PierceSG

First Post
Ashurn starts to look around the room, searching for anything valuable or might be useful to the party.
OOC: Invisible Castle is down, so I used this to roll but I can't link the results. :\

[sblock=Perception]Result=22[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads