• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Test of High Level 5E: Design 4 or 5 lvl 13 PCs for 6 to 8 encounter adventuring day

BoldItalic

First Post
Bedrock Trelawny

13th-Level Human Paladin (Oath of Devotion)
Medium Male Humanoid

Armour Class 21 (Plate Mail and Shield + Defence Fighting Style)
Hit Points 108 (13@ 1d10+2) n.b. Durable feat
Speed 30 feet
Sense Normal
Passive Perception 10
Initiative +0
Str 20 (+5) Dex 10 (+0) Con 15 (+2)
Int 9 (-1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 16 (+3)
Proficiency Bonus +5
Alignment Lawful-Good
Languages Common, Gnomish, Goblin
Background Noble

FEATURES & TRAITS
Position of Privilege (Cousin of the Earl of Penwith)
Divine Sense (4 times)
Divine Health (Immune to disease)
Lay On Hands: 65 points

Divine Smite
Channel Divinity - Sacred Weapon
Channel Divinity - Turn the Unholy

Auras of Protection, Devotion, and Courage
While Bedrock is conscious, he and friendly creatures within 10 feet can't be charmed or frightened and get +3 on all saves.

PROFICIENCIES
Tools: Gaming Set (Three-Dragon Ante)
Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

FEATS
Inspiring Leader (Temporary hit points: 16)
Durable (Minimum points recovered: 4)

SKILLS
Athletics +10, Deception +8, History +4, Intimidation +8, Persuasion +8

ATTACKS
Longsword +1 +11 To Hit, 1d8+6 slashing +1d8 radiant versatile (d10)
Javelin +10 To Hit, 1d6+5 piercing thrown, range(30/120)

Extra attack: make two attacks when taking the Attack action

SPELLCASTING
Magic Ability: Cha
Focus: Holy Symbol
MAM: +8
SaveDC: 16
Spells Per Day: 4, 3, 3, 1
Oath Spells: Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary, Lesser Restoration, Zone of Truth, Beacon of Hope, Dispel Magic, Freedom of Movement, Guardian of Faith
Spells Prepared: Detect Evil and Good, Heroism, Purify Food and Drink, Shield of Faith,
Aid, Aura of Vitality, Crusader's Mantle, Elemental Weapon, Staggering Smite

EQUIPMENT (125 lb)
Plate Mail, Spellguard Shield, Longsword+1, Javelin(5), Holy Symbol, Backpack, Blanket, Candles(10), Tinderbox, Alms Box, Blocks of Incense(2), Censer, Vestments, Day's Rations(2), Waterskin, Fine clothes, Signet Ring, Scroll of Pedigree, 66 gems@100gp, 150gp, A disk of Cornish stone (serpentine), Potion of Extra Healing(2), Holy Water(10), Small Silver Mirror, Leather Strap (for the Freedom of Movement spell), Holy Parchment (for the Shield of Faith spell), Strip of White Cloth (for the Aid spell)

Spellguard Shield (Attuned)
While holding his shield, Bedrock has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects, and spell attacks have disadvantage against him.

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Traits: Bedrock does not, despite his noble birth, place himself above other folk. He believes that we all have the same blood, and he takes great pains to always look his best and follow the latest fashions.
Ideal - Respect. Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: Nothing is more important to Bedrock than the other members of his family.
Flaw: Bedrock hides a truly scandalous secret that could ruin his family forever.
Religion: Bedrock worships at the temple of Ilmater, the LG god of endurance, when he is in Penwith. Followers there are required to venerate the planets.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I'm happy to withdraw and you can pretend my intervention never happened, if [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] is okay with continuing. I genuinely thought he was refusing.

I'm completely ok. I bit off more than I chew making five lvl 13 characters. I'm happy a few players are jumping on making characters. Whipping up lvl 13 characters as developed as I usually do with a character is not fun I found out. Go for it, whip up a few. You do the paladin. If Azurewraith wants to do the rogue, cool. I have the bard done if that character is still ok with Flamestrike as far as stats.

Maybe someone else can whip up a wizard and someone else a cleric.

A healer of some kind and a support caster (wizard, druid, sorcerer, or another bard) are required to maximize party power. Hopefully the rogue is a ranged striker. No ranged striker and you're already operating at a major disadvantage as far as powering over combat encounters. You also need the support caster to supply the ability to ground enemies or control the battlefield. Without that and in general a DM's job of challenging the PCs becomes many times easier, especially if the primary damage dealers are melee combatants.

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
Is there a story hour thread for this so i can just read about the in game action rather than having to sift through pages of forum feedback?
Not so far. The sequence has gone
#45 Adventure Intro
#54 Ryken speaks
#76 Myrkyn replies
#77 Jubali speaks
#78 Myrkyn speaks again
#89 Bedrock enters and interrupts
#94 Myrkyn replies to Bedrock. Exit Ryken & Jubali.
#106 Bedrocks speaks again. Edward enters and speaks.
#113 Myrkyn narrates some lore to Bedrock and Edward.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
#157 iserith speculates that the world is ending not due to villainous machinations but because Myrkyn has imbalanced the multiverse by having too many "Y's" in his name.

BoldItalic

First Post
I'm completely ok. I bit off more than I chew making five lvl 13 characters. I'm happy a few players are jumping on making characters. Whipping up lvl 13 characters as developed as I usually do with a character is not fun I found out. Go for it, whip up a few. You do the paladin. If Azurewraith wants to do the rogue, cool. I have the bard done if that character is still ok with Flamestrike as far as stats.

Maybe someone else can whip up a wizard and someone else a cleric.

A healer of some kind and a support caster (wizard, druid, sorcerer, or another bard) are required to maximize party power. Hopefully the rogue is a ranged striker. No ranged striker and you're already operating at a major disadvantage as far as powering over combat encounters. You also need the support caster to supply the ability to ground enemies or control the battlefield. Without that and in general a DM's job of challenging the PCs becomes many times easier, especially if the primary damage dealers are melee combatants.

Thanks. I'll be doing Edward as a wizard, so that's my two. With Azurewraith doing a rogue, we have room for two more. I agree with you that we are probably going to need a cleric.

I'm using software to generate rough-cut, semi-optimised characters and then optimising them a bit more by hand, but not aggressively. Probably not quite as much as you have done with yours. I think it's fair game, when we discuss how the characters handle each encounter, to consider whether the encounter might have gone differently if the characters had been differently optimised. That promises to be quite interesting.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Thanks. I'll be doing Edward as a wizard, so that's my two. With Azurewraith doing a rogue, we have room for two more. I agree with you that we are probably going to need a cleric.

I'm using software to generate rough-cut, semi-optimised characters and then optimising them a bit more by hand, but not aggressively. Probably not quite as much as you have done with yours. I think it's fair game, when we discuss how the characters handle each encounter, to consider whether the encounter might have gone differently if the characters had been differently optimised. That promises to be quite interesting.

I'll finish the cleric tonight if no one else wants to make one. BoldItalic the paladin and wizard. Azurewraith the rogue, hopefully will Sharpshooter and good ranged ability given he can switch hit easily. I'll have a bard and cleric done.

meshon

Explorer
I'm glad to see this going ahead, I'm interested to see what comes out of it. I have to say, I thought the hook was fine, given what Celtavian had said earlier about the kinds of PCs he has to put up with.

Keep it up! And I, for one, would love to read the story rather than just the combat simulations even though, I guess, this experiment is mostly about combat simulations...

Remove ads